“Like visiting an early eighties time warp!”
Review of Halcyon Hotel

Halcyon Hotel
Ranked #126 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
“Like visiting an early eighties time warp!”
Reviewed 16 August 2012

1. Needed oxygen after three flights of stairs especially my husband who has asthma!
2. Very amusing host, which we appreciated.
3. Antiquated decor.
4. Difficult to adjust shower.
5. Very noisy extractor fan, extremely distracting late at night!
6. As it was Edinburgh Fringe Festival we were obviously lucky to get a room but
I didn't feel lucky when I saw the room as very shabby but clean
7. Excellent breakfast catered for my soya intolerance without a fuss - thankyou.
8. Would like a radio that worked.
9. Sorry won't be returning.

Room Tip: Take a radio and hair dryer. Don't have third floor room!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarnch

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Richmond
Reviewed 12 August 2012

After reading several reviews, I have to say that I disagree with some of them and find them a bit harsh given that this is a 2* hotel and we found it to be good value for money. We were in Edinburgh during the Madonna concert and as much as I agree that it was noisy at night thanks to the late revelers, we know that there wasn't much the owners could do about the noise. Would you expect them to stand at the door at the a.m hours and tell people to be quiet as they come in? not really.

On arrival we were greeted by a really friendly and smiley lady who checked us in and explained where everything was before helping us with one of our suitcases. She also explained that it is an old Victorian building so it is impossible to have a lift built in; which was understandable.

Our room was very clean, as much as I looked for dust there wasn't any, the downside is that it had a faint smell of old carpet and the curtains need some upgrading.
Another con is that the website does not put it clear that there is no tv in the rooms (Not that we were keen on watching the telly) but it would have been nice to know before coming.

Breakfast was served rather early and the fruit cocktail was very refreshing. Given that my husband is a professional butcher by trade, he mentioned that the quality of bacon and sausages was excellent (It takes someone who knows meat well to note that by the way). The owners were very friendly, so were the ladies working there.
Our overall experience was very good and I will look forward to going back although I will make sure I ask for a different room.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anne L
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2012

On reaching the 'hotel' we were pleasantly surprised to be able to park for free all weekend, this was probably the only benefit of our stay at this 'hotel'.

We had two rooms on arrival one room was not ready. The previous week I had phoned to let them know our arrival time and also the situation with parking, which was clarified in the phone call the chap also went on to say that the rooms would be ready as we were arriving after noon. Having booked through booking.com it was not obvious on our confirmation whether we had breakfast or not, the chap who took the call confirmed we did.

The room that was ready was on the top floor so we carried all our bags to the ready room which was up I think 3 steep staircases. If you struggle with steps, are elderly, have a heart/breathing condition or are in a wheelchair this place is not for you.

I feel the title hotel is misleading as well as the image on this site and also the image on booking.com. This image is of maybe 4 or 5 establishments on the same street with a narrow buiding belonging to the Halcyon Hotel. I would say this is a tall B&B rather than a hotel !

It was mentioned by the lady who checked us in to relax after our long drive and have a coffee in the lounge, this was a spacious room but the kettle did not work despite trying several different plugs, we tried to find someone to help but there was absolutely no one about (despite only seeing the lady minutes earlier) and we had no way of getting anyones attention as the lady had disappeared. We therefore decided to hit the city straight away rather than have a relaxing 10 mins after a 150 mile trip.

Our room smelt old, decor was tired, noisey shower with not much room. The kettle was hard to fill in the mini sink, I suggested a jug in the room on the feedback form. Curtains were terrible I would not have put them in a wendyhouse, they did nothing. No TV and some random old fashioned radio thing which did not work.

We were in Edinburgh for a concert so I admit we were lucky to have a place to rest our heads but it was really just that.

There was lots of noise outside our room as our room was on the corner of the staircase which everyone walked past, drunken folk shouting between floors and smokers beneath our window having their last fag in the early hours after they slammed taxi doors, we were still awake at 3am.

It also seems the royal terrace is a short cut for taxi's bombing through as it is cobbled the noise was terrible and again made the job of getting to sleep hard, our window looked out onto royal terrace.

We did manage to drop off to sleep but then were woken early by our neighbours shower, seemed that water trickled in pipes down the wall cavity.

It was quite obvious at breakfast who the loud mouths belonged to, with the group saying to the owner that one was strugglying to get out of bed, which the owner seemed to find it amusing, obviously not a thought for the rest of us paying guests who they had kept awake.

Breakfast was ok, asked for tomato sauce it never came, didn't bother asking again. They seemed to be rushing. lots of water on plate from poached eggs and very greasy. Coffee was good!

random sense of humor really from the owner, didn't ask how we slept so didn't say. No one checked us out so left keys on side, no one asked how our stay was at any point or how things were, we were glad to leave. I filled in a feedback form and have heard nothing since, maybe it's not been read yet?!

A lot of people are saying this is a budget hotel, I don't feel the price we paid was budget however either way it should still be enjoyable with the owners taking an interest in our experience, to make improvements for future guests, which will not include us.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank LouiseFMB
Folsom, California, United States
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Owners are friendly and have a great dry sense of humor. This place is simple & clean and does not market itself in any other way so I dont know what other reviewers are expecting... For the price and proximity it is perfect for a budget travler. Thanks for warm reception and great garden views Halcyon!

Room Tip: Pretty quite neighborhood - we stayed on the 2nd floor with a garden view and were happy.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Chip A
England
Reviewed 23 July 2012

On entering the hotel there was an awful smell the whole place could do with a refurbishment. The kettle in lounge did not work, three flights of stairs to climb to our room no lift. In bedroom no TV and the radio did not work. The wash basin was that small you could not fill the kettle, shower cubicle was small, the furniture was shabby, ceiling lampshade could have done with a dusting. The rooms did not look a bit like the photos on their web site. Late night guests shouting between floors. At breakfast time we had a window table where we had to slide the table to one side to get in then slide it to the other side for my husband to get in. The orange fruit juice was already served on table no choice of other juices. The gentleman serving breakfast had a very strange sense of humour, breakfast quite greasy and a large portion of sliced mushrooms. To say it's a hotel there was no bar, it is more a B & B. I expected a better class of hotel for the tariff we paid. We were not introduced to the owners, the only good point was 10 -15mins walk into city.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Disappointed182
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Just returned from an enjoyable stay at the Halcyon. It is approx 10 mins walk from Waverley train station and around £6 by taxi. The castle can be reached in approx 20 mins, but regular buses will take you to Princes Street.
The rooms whilst basic are clean and comfortable, with plenty of tea and coffee. 2 x complimentary showergel/shampoo will cut down on your packing if staying for 2 nights.
I stayed 3 nights and could quite happily have stayed longer. I was made to feel most welcome by the owners who ensured that breakfast (served 8 - 9) was by far my biggest meal of the day. The food was always hot and tasty.
I would recommend this guest house to friends and family.

Room Tip: I would pay the extra for en-suite
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank sjf3105
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Decor and furnishings were nice but a bit worn and tired. Lots of 'bits and pieces' need doing. Room was fine, quite a few hairs on bedding, and in bathroom but overall was clean, but could have done with a thorough dusting. No tv in room but there was a communal lounge that could be used. Owners were friendly, which was great. Breakfast was nice but just as a personal issue I would not have the cooked breakfast again as I'm not keen on a kilo of mushrooms, uncooked tomato and one tiny chipolata sausage. You are also allocated an orange juice as opposed to being able to help yourself as with most b&bs. Overall, its a well placed B&B with nice owners, but not worth the money paid.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business