“Convenient location and friendly owner”
Review of Halcyon Hotel

Halcyon Hotel
Ranked #134 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Booked a room for two and arrived in the afternoon. Room was ready and clean, the reception friendly. Major sights and the Edinburgh railway-station are close by.
Breakfast was rich.
We were staying for one night, as we continued to travel further down, but would have also prolonged our stay, if possible.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 May 2013

My parents and I spent the bank holiday in Edinburgh, 3 nights in total at the Halcyon Hotel. If represents a great base to explore the city, as its close to Calton Hill. The rooms are large, warm and clean. Bathrooms are small, but clean, as you'd expect them to be in a terrace house.
However, the charm of the hotel lies in its staff, very warm and welcoming, and in the great breakfast.
Its like visiting your favorite relatives in Scotland, looking fwd to come back!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 April 2013

I stayed here for one night because I took part in a Half Marathon event in the city and needed somewhere not too expensive to crash for the night. This was really well located (as the event started in Holyrood Park) and fitted the bill perfectly. I arrived about 6 pm, and got a warm welcome. I just had a single room on the ground floor. It wasn't actually an en suite because fire regulations meant they couldn't do the necessary work to make it one, but the small bathroom just down the corridor was only for me. I just had to remember to take my key with me! My room did have a wash basin though.

My room was small but with only me, it wasn't a problem. It included tea and coffee making facilities although I understand there is a lounge on the first floor where tea and coffee is also available. There are no televisions in the rooms but I didn't need one anyway.

The whole place was spotlessly clean and if you're looking for things to do, there's a good array of tourist leaflets in the hall. When I checked in, I was told that breakfast started at 8.30. Unfortunately I had to leave by 8.00 to get down for the start of my event so instead, they kindly put a tray in my room the night before - fruit juice, half a grapefruit with some orange slices and strawberries, a bowl of cereal, some milk, an apple and a banana. I thought this was a lovely touch which many hotels would not have done, and it made all the difference, especially the extra fruit which gave me a boost during the event.

This hotel isn't posh but it's clean, comfortable, reasonably priced and well located.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Thank Good Names All Gone!
Reviewed 22 February 2013

I spent two nights here during February 2013. The hotel is in a good location, about 10 mins walk from the railway station, so there was no noise disturbance at night. Patricia, the host, and other staff were warm, friendly and helpful - nothing was too much trouble. Although check in was from 2pm onwards, I was allowed to leave my luggage there earlier in the day, so I could start exploring Edinburgh.
The room was spacious enough for a single person, even though there was a double and single bed in the room. The ensuite was clean and supplied with plenty of bathroom products. The power shower was easy to operate. Plenty of soft towels were provided.There were also plenty of tea and coffee sachets available in the room, but only full fat milk. I made myself one cup of coffee, but as I'm used to skimmed milk didn't enjoy it and so didn't make any more.
I found the bed too hard for me with ridges on the mattress and this affected my sleep quality.
I used the TV lounge on both evenings. The TV is modern, with a good sized screen, but the furniture in the lounge is old fashioned and not very comfortable.
The dining room is well set out with attention paid to detail and with a wide range of food available I was very satisfied with the breakfast provided - plenty of food and of good quality.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 February 2013

The people are warm and friendly, and the breakfast is well prepared and of good quality. The wifi is free and the signal easily reached my room on the 2nd floor. The bed was too hard for my comfort, but fortunately there was a second bed in my room, so I swiped its duvet and slept on top of that. The lavatory basin in my en-suite shower room seemed to be fairly new, but it had separate hot and cold taps (which always surprises me in new fixtures) and I was unable to get warm running water. The towels were thick and comfortable, and the power shower was easy to operate. This hotel has no lift, but at two stars I wasn't really expecting one, and it wasn't a problem for me. The location is convenient to the centre without being in the middle of the noise, although there is some road traffic that is audible through the single-glazed window (I suspect that this is a listed building), even with the shutters closed.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 February 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights including New Year's Eve 2012/2013 and it was great. We were slightly worried about it as we only booked it at the end of November and we thought that all the good places would be booked up by then, but we were wrong.

The room was clean and had plenty of tea and coffee available.

Parking was a bit of an issue as it is pay and display directly outside the hotel, but if you're happy to walk 10 mins you can get free parking.

The breakfast was lovely and the staff/owners were friendly.

It was just a 10 mins walk from the city centre and definitely worth going back to.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Central next to Carlton Hill with Parking on Street, great start, but after a days shopping and evening at the Playhouse we went to the hotel, bathroom tiny, bedroom tiny with small double and a single bed, but bed was light weight and was very unstable and noisy, we are not large people, cold noisy night at front of hotel, breakfast was busy but we were completely ignored, even when we said we were still waiting , we still had to wait and it was not worth it.
For a little extra money we could of had a good nights sleep in a warm room!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple