“Great hotel excellent location”
Review of Halcyon Hotel

Halcyon Hotel
Ranked #123 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Itala, Italy
“Great hotel excellent location”
Reviewed 4 July 2013

I stayed here for four nights in June and loved the hotel. The location is 10 mins walk to the city centre or a few mins walk to get numerous buses. When I arrived the worker helped me up to my room which was on the top floor, three flights up so with a heavy bag her help was appreciated. I had a single room with ensuite. It was very clean and light as there was a large beautiful window overlooking the back garden. I could access wifi in my room which was great. Although there was no TV in my room there was a large lounge room with TV and coffee/tea facilities to use. The house is old and has some lovely period features and very beautifully decorated. Breakfast was wonderful and the hosts were lovely. All the staff were efficient and helpful. As I was returning to Edinburgh for a night after spending time travelling in the highlands i was able to store my luggage securely at the hotel which was very helpful. I would definitely stay here again. Being so close to the city but so quiet is a real draw card.

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues or have a heavy suitcase I would suggest you ask for a room on the 1st f...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2013 via mobile

Halcyon is a lovely old house complete with a formal lounge (perfect place for planning an Edinburgh adventure), formal dining room, with an excellent breakfast!, and a back garden for relaxing or having a picnic. The only downside was that my room didn't have a real window (sky light) but I didn't spend much time in there, so it didn't really matter. Location is great - about a 10 minute walk to the train station.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Liz M
GLASGOW
Reviewed 1 June 2013

I stayed here for two nights with my Mother for a short getaway. The position of the house is very well situated for the Playhouse and a short walk from Princes St.We stayed in a triple room which had 3 single beds in. Rooms are very basic but clean and functional. A small tv wouldn't have went a miss but as we weren't in the room for long this didn't become a problem. The house its self is very impressive and still has lot of period features which add to its character.
The breakfast is of the standard you would look for in an expensive hotel. I didn't want to eat the eat the grapefruit and fruit it was presented that well ! Massive fry up cooked to perfection ! Only quibble would be it was missing black pudding and tattie scone being in Scotland.
Overall i would recommend this bed and breakfast and will return myself next time in staying in Edinburgh .

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank LORNA68
Stranraer, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Halcyon House for a week during the General Assembly. If one was fussy, you might say that the bedroom is somewhat dated in its decor and doesn't have a television. That is my only criticism. A warm welcome awaits the weary traveller to the hotel from the owner. I had an on suite room at the top floor, be warned, there isn't a lift, and it is up quite a few stairs. My bedroom overlooked a lovely garden which guests may make use of during your stay. The whole hotel is spotlessly clean, my bedroom had a single bed, not the most comfortable which I have slept in, but I did get a good nights sleep each evening and tea or coffee making facilities. In the morning there was always ample hot water.
There is a guests lounge with television and further tea or coffee making facilities, also with a supply of biscuits.
The breakfast has quite an array to choose from and is always well cooked with plenty to eat. I look forward to coming to Edinburgh in the future and staying at the Halcyon.

Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Tangowhisky14
California
Reviewed 18 May 2013

My two-day stay at Halcyon Hotel in Edinburgh was a delight in every way. The location was perfect-- a quiet street (longest Georgian terrace in the U.K.), yet a short walk to the city center. The staff and owners were delightful, the rooms were charming with small personal touches everywhere. Nothing plastic about this place. And the breakfast, included in the very moderate price, was gorgeous -- white table cloths, a menu, and even special meals for vegetarians. Can't wait to go back. (I also added a rave review on hotels.com, but they mistakenly linked that to a "poor" rating. Halcyon House is excellent--tops in its class!)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Schwyz, Switzerland
Reviewed 14 May 2013

A very friendy welcome and a clean room in a very scottish atmosphere. This place is not your usual chain hotel or anything like it. It felt more like a home away from home. If you are looking for luxury, this is not the place for you, but if you look for character, you probably like the place!
The breakfast is also really nice. I had the cooked breakfast both mornings and the quality and quantity of the food were great. I saw some of the other breakfast options and they looked great as well!
This place is definitely high up on my list of hotels and my new top choice for Edinburgh!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Booked a room for two and arrived in the afternoon. Room was ready and clean, the reception friendly. Major sights and the Edinburgh railway-station are close by.
Breakfast was rich.
We were staying for one night, as we continued to travel further down, but would have also prolonged our stay, if possible.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple