Halcyon Hotel
US$329
US$215
US$107
  • Pool
Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$107
US$93
  • Restaurant
Murrayfield Hotel and House(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$122
US$126
US$118
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewscalton hilltop floorthree single bedsno liftlovely sitting roomwatch the rugbylovely buildingtravelling by trainown bathroomcity centrethe main train stationdouble bedplace to sleepshort walkporridgebreakfast was amazingone night stay
Reviewed 4 July 2013

The Halcyon Hotel is on Royal Terrace; a beautiful building in a lovely and convenient part of Edinburgh. It is also a pretty good small hotel and offers good value for money. It was an excellent choice for a long weekend stay.

The hotel itself is well maintained and attractive. We were on the top floor and that did mean walking up and down a lot of stairs. It did not cause us a problem, but it could be a challenge for some, particularly with a lot of luggage.

Our room was spotlessly clean and spacious. Very comfortable. The shower did seem to have a mind of its own, but most of the time it worked well. Even on the top floor, the free WIFI worked well.

The breakfast was good but I would not want to go beyond that.

All in all, this is a hotel offers good value for money in a very convenient part of Edinburgh.

Room Tip: A long climb to the top floor if you have a lot of luggage
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Philip F
Reviewed 4 July 2013

I stayed here for four nights in June and loved the hotel. The location is 10 mins walk to the city centre or a few mins walk to get numerous buses. When I arrived the worker helped me up to my room which was on the top floor, three flights up so with a heavy bag her help was appreciated. I had a single room with ensuite. It was very clean and light as there was a large beautiful window overlooking the back garden. I could access wifi in my room which was great. Although there was no TV in my room there was a large lounge room with TV and coffee/tea facilities to use. The house is old and has some lovely period features and very beautifully decorated. Breakfast was wonderful and the hosts were lovely. All the staff were efficient and helpful. As I was returning to Edinburgh for a night after spending time travelling in the highlands i was able to store my luggage securely at the hotel which was very helpful. I would definitely stay here again. Being so close to the city but so quiet is a real draw card.

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues or have a heavy suitcase I would suggest you ask for a room on the 1st floor
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 June 2013 via mobile

Halcyon is a lovely old house complete with a formal lounge (perfect place for planning an Edinburgh adventure), formal dining room, with an excellent breakfast!, and a back garden for relaxing or having a picnic. The only downside was that my room didn't have a real window (sky light) but I didn't spend much time in there, so it didn't really matter. Location is great - about a 10 minute walk to the train station.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Liz M
Reviewed 1 June 2013

I stayed here for two nights with my Mother for a short getaway. The position of the house is very well situated for the Playhouse and a short walk from Princes St.We stayed in a triple room which had 3 single beds in. Rooms are very basic but clean and functional. A small tv wouldn't have went a miss but as we weren't in the room for long this didn't become a problem. The house its self is very impressive and still has lot of period features which add to its character.
The breakfast is of the standard you would look for in an expensive hotel. I didn't want to eat the eat the grapefruit and fruit it was presented that well ! Massive fry up cooked to perfection ! Only quibble would be it was missing black pudding and tattie scone being in Scotland.
Overall i would recommend this bed and breakfast and will return myself next time in staying in Edinburgh .

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank LORNA68
Reviewed 24 May 2013

I stayed at the Halcyon House for a week during the General Assembly. If one was fussy, you might say that the bedroom is somewhat dated in its decor and doesn't have a television. That is my only criticism. A warm welcome awaits the weary traveller to the hotel from the owner. I had an on suite room at the top floor, be warned, there isn't a lift, and it is up quite a few stairs. My bedroom overlooked a lovely garden which guests may make use of during your stay. The whole hotel is spotlessly clean, my bedroom had a single bed, not the most comfortable which I have slept in, but I did get a good nights sleep each evening and tea or coffee making facilities. In the morning there was always ample hot water.
There is a guests lounge with television and further tea or coffee making facilities, also with a supply of biscuits.
The breakfast has quite an array to choose from and is always well cooked with plenty to eat. I look forward to coming to Edinburgh in the future and staying at the Halcyon.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo