“A charming and welcoming hotel”
Review of Halcyon Hotel

Halcyon Hotel
Ranked #126 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
London
“A charming and welcoming hotel”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I had a really nice time in the hotel. It is very well located close to the train station but yet in a quiet and green area. The old building is full of romantic charm, and the rooms are clean, cozy and simple. The owners are welcoming and very helpful. They helped to carry the luggage upstairs (there is no lift), and were checking if i have any dietary restrictions for the breakfast, which they prepare in the morning. The bathrooms are shared with another room, but everything is spotless clean, attractive and very pleasant. The only minus is that you can hear when people come and go, so that was waking me at night, but that's true about any other hotel I stayed at from old to super modern. Certainly would come back and recommend to my friends.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Polish first
Hull, East Yorkshire
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I booked this hotel originally out of necessity rather than choice, it was a very busy Edinburgh weekend and this was one of the few hotels that had a vacancy. However as I neared the hotel and eventually entered the place, I was delighted to find this gem of a place.

It's location is excellent, just a ten minute stroll from Waverley railway station on an attractive street full of period properties just underneath Calton Hill. Walking into to the hotel I rang the bell for assistance and received a warm welcome. My room wasn't ready (as I was early) so I was invited to wait the fifteen minutes or so in the delightful resident's lounge on the first floor where I was able to make use of the free wifi provided by the owners.

A member of staff came and told me my room was ready. My first floor single room was very clean and tidy & looked recently decorated. I was surprised that the room had no bathroom, however that is an issue with Expedia and in no way a misrepresentation by the hotel. That said, I had a large sink in my room and was next to the bathroom facilities, which were in excellent order. The room had everything I needed and was comfortable.

Next morning I breakfasted in the dining room at a pleasingly laid out table. I again received a warm welcome and good morning from the attentive staff. The breakfast selection on offer was larger than I expected from such an intimate hotel. The full cooked breakfast was delicious and plentiful !

The room I stayed in had a single bed, wardrobe, sink, tea & coffee, clock radio and excellent wifi signal, however no television. This was no issue for me as I streamed TV via the Internet.

On the whole I was impressed with the Halcyon House hotel and enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Ilkley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2013

The Halcyon Hotel is on Royal Terrace; a beautiful building in a lovely and convenient part of Edinburgh. It is also a pretty good small hotel and offers good value for money. It was an excellent choice for a long weekend stay.

The hotel itself is well maintained and attractive. We were on the top floor and that did mean walking up and down a lot of stairs. It did not cause us a problem, but it could be a challenge for some, particularly with a lot of luggage.

Our room was spotlessly clean and spacious. Very comfortable. The shower did seem to have a mind of its own, but most of the time it worked well. Even on the top floor, the free WIFI worked well.

The breakfast was good but I would not want to go beyond that.

All in all, this is a hotel offers good value for money in a very convenient part of Edinburgh.

Room Tip: A long climb to the top floor if you have a lot of luggage
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Philip F
Itala, Italy
Reviewed 4 July 2013

I stayed here for four nights in June and loved the hotel. The location is 10 mins walk to the city centre or a few mins walk to get numerous buses. When I arrived the worker helped me up to my room which was on the top floor, three flights up so with a heavy bag her help was appreciated. I had a single room with ensuite. It was very clean and light as there was a large beautiful window overlooking the back garden. I could access wifi in my room which was great. Although there was no TV in my room there was a large lounge room with TV and coffee/tea facilities to use. The house is old and has some lovely period features and very beautifully decorated. Breakfast was wonderful and the hosts were lovely. All the staff were efficient and helpful. As I was returning to Edinburgh for a night after spending time travelling in the highlands i was able to store my luggage securely at the hotel which was very helpful. I would definitely stay here again. Being so close to the city but so quiet is a real draw card.

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues or have a heavy suitcase I would suggest you ask for a room on the 1st f...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2013 via mobile

Halcyon is a lovely old house complete with a formal lounge (perfect place for planning an Edinburgh adventure), formal dining room, with an excellent breakfast!, and a back garden for relaxing or having a picnic. The only downside was that my room didn't have a real window (sky light) but I didn't spend much time in there, so it didn't really matter. Location is great - about a 10 minute walk to the train station.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Liz M
GLASGOW
Reviewed 1 June 2013

I stayed here for two nights with my Mother for a short getaway. The position of the house is very well situated for the Playhouse and a short walk from Princes St.We stayed in a triple room which had 3 single beds in. Rooms are very basic but clean and functional. A small tv wouldn't have went a miss but as we weren't in the room for long this didn't become a problem. The house its self is very impressive and still has lot of period features which add to its character.
The breakfast is of the standard you would look for in an expensive hotel. I didn't want to eat the eat the grapefruit and fruit it was presented that well ! Massive fry up cooked to perfection ! Only quibble would be it was missing black pudding and tattie scone being in Scotland.
Overall i would recommend this bed and breakfast and will return myself next time in staying in Edinburgh .

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank LORNA68
Stranraer, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Halcyon House for a week during the General Assembly. If one was fussy, you might say that the bedroom is somewhat dated in its decor and doesn't have a television. That is my only criticism. A warm welcome awaits the weary traveller to the hotel from the owner. I had an on suite room at the top floor, be warned, there isn't a lift, and it is up quite a few stairs. My bedroom overlooked a lovely garden which guests may make use of during your stay. The whole hotel is spotlessly clean, my bedroom had a single bed, not the most comfortable which I have slept in, but I did get a good nights sleep each evening and tea or coffee making facilities. In the morning there was always ample hot water.
There is a guests lounge with television and further tea or coffee making facilities, also with a supply of biscuits.
The breakfast has quite an array to choose from and is always well cooked with plenty to eat. I look forward to coming to Edinburgh in the future and staying at the Halcyon.

Stayed May 2013, travelled solo