“Best value for money”

Ranked #123 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Helsinge
“Best value for money”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I have just returned from a 4 day trip to Edinburgh and had the pleasure to stay at the Halcyon Hotel. Pat and Mattew do all in their power to make people feel at home. It is such a nice place with wonderfull location and the feeling of home. Very nice and clean room and good and plenty breakfast. I'd go back in minute!:-)

• Stayed September 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Me and my friend spent a few nights there during the literature festival in August. We spent our nights in a spacious double room with a small bathroom. The shower proved a bit uncooperative, but otherwise it was all very good. The beds were comfortable and the room was very clean and tidy. There was also a lounge one could use for watching telly, but we weren't really spending that much time inside the hotel.

The breakfast (which was included) was very satisfying, the hosts were both funny and helpful, and we will definitely reccommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: If you don't like to climb stairs, ask for a room on the first floor as there isn't an eleva...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I recently stayed at the Halycon Hotel at the end of July for 3 days during the week. Firstly, the location is excellent, located on a quiet street yet close to the main arteries and only a 10 min walk to the city center. I felt safe and comfortable walking alone in the area at night.
The hotel itself is a heritage house- old, charming, clean and neat. If your looking for modern art deco, this hotel is not for you. My room was located on the first floor, single bed with a sink and closet. Pretty, functional, and had a wonderful view of the lovely garden. I did have to leave my room to go to the bathroom which was simply a few steps away. The shower was very powerful, no plunbing issues, and clean towels were supplied daily. I was hardly in the hotel, so time spent indoors was not a priority for me. I did enjoy breakfast daily in the main dining hall. The room was beautiful and clean with jams/jellies/orange juice waiting at the table. The breakfast was a full English breakfast or a variety of fruit or porridge, as well as tea and coffee. Although I wouldn't consider the meals to be gourmet, I felt the meals were fresh and beautifully presented. I also had an opportunity to meet the owners who would help serve breakfast and chat with guests- they were very pleasant and warm people. I reccommend the Halycon Hotel to travellers who want a lovely gem of a place in an absolutely beautiful city!

• Stayed July 2013
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We arrived at the Halcyon and received a really warm welcome. Everyone was friendly and helpful. There was no free parking between 8:30am and 5:30pm however we didn't find this a problem as we drove to the modern art gallery and paid £1 for 4 hours parking and got the free bus to the national gallery (which is in town centre). The breakfast choices were good and plentiful. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013
London
Reviewed 25 July 2013

We chose this hotel for our two day stay in Edinburgh purely because it was economical. What a pleasant surprise it was! Located in a leafy terrace surrounded by beautiful parkland, the cobbled streets and basements made you feel as though you had stepped back in time! You could hear a pin drop even though you were within walking distance of the city. Our room was spacious and very clean, nice little extra touches too. My friend's face dropped when she realised there was no TV in our room but this was compensated by the beautiful lounge next door where guests have access to a TV and drink making facilities during the day (even after check out time). Breakfast was also a very pleasant surprise - definately underrated at two star. Plenty of choice and served by polite staff who went out of their way to cater for everybody's needs. The owners of this hotel were very welcoming and allowed us to leave our luggage there once we had checked out of our room. If this was not such a long way away from where we live we would definately be returning there for a break!

Room Tip: People with walking difficulties need to bear in mind that this is a three storey hotel so must choo...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I had a really nice time in the hotel. It is very well located close to the train station but yet in a quiet and green area. The old building is full of romantic charm, and the rooms are clean, cozy and simple. The owners are welcoming and very helpful. They helped to carry the luggage upstairs (there is no lift), and were checking if i have any dietary restrictions for the breakfast, which they prepare in the morning. The bathrooms are shared with another room, but everything is spotless clean, attractive and very pleasant. The only minus is that you can hear when people come and go, so that was waking me at night, but that's true about any other hotel I stayed at from old to super modern. Certainly would come back and recommend to my friends.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Hull, East Yorkshire
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I booked this hotel originally out of necessity rather than choice, it was a very busy Edinburgh weekend and this was one of the few hotels that had a vacancy. However as I neared the hotel and eventually entered the place, I was delighted to find this gem of a place.

It's location is excellent, just a ten minute stroll from Waverley railway station on an attractive street full of period properties just underneath Calton Hill. Walking into to the hotel I rang the bell for assistance and received a warm welcome. My room wasn't ready (as I was early) so I was invited to wait the fifteen minutes or so in the delightful resident's lounge on the first floor where I was able to make use of the free wifi provided by the owners.

A member of staff came and told me my room was ready. My first floor single room was very clean and tidy & looked recently decorated. I was surprised that the room had no bathroom, however that is an issue with Expedia and in no way a misrepresentation by the hotel. That said, I had a large sink in my room and was next to the bathroom facilities, which were in excellent order. The room had everything I needed and was comfortable.

Next morning I breakfasted in the dining room at a pleasingly laid out table. I again received a warm welcome and good morning from the attentive staff. The breakfast selection on offer was larger than I expected from such an intimate hotel. The full cooked breakfast was delicious and plentiful !

The room I stayed in had a single bed, wardrobe, sink, tea & coffee, clock radio and excellent wifi signal, however no television. This was no issue for me as I streamed TV via the Internet.

On the whole I was impressed with the Halcyon House hotel and enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo