“Awful”
Review of Halcyon Hotel

Halcyon Hotel
Ranked #128 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Not sure how they got the ratings they have. We booked one double room and we got a room that slept 4 people and you could hardly moved. The ensuite toilet was a cupboard built round a toilet.
We packed up and left and trust that this establishment is properly represented as a back packers not a B&B.

Room Tip: 3 very,very long staircases means something on the bottom floor is marginally best.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jampro

Reviewed 11 September 2013

I ended up here after being double booked elsewhere. In contrast to the cosy place I had booked this was quite austere. Rooms very basic and quite a lot of traffic noise (windows not double glazed). It was cold the night I stayed and there were no sheets on the beds just duvets which is never particularly reassuring. No TV in the room. Ensuite bathroom was ok. I was luckily out in the evening so didn't have to spend a lot of time in the room. Breakfast was ok, grapefruit and toast but the cooked part was disappointing, a cold raw tomato microwaved mushrooms and soggy bacon. It's in a good location, close to station and Princes street and if you are on a budget it's ok but it wasn't cheap the night I stayed compared to what I had paid originally at somewhere which seemed a lot nicer.

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank GS18027
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I just felt, since I and my friend felt so welcome at Halcyon, that I needed to write a review to tell you guys! We did not know what to expect when arriving, but after we'd checked in and received our big room we felt very pleased. Separate sleeping areas helped a lot as well. Matthew and Patricia (the owners) tend to every one of their guests to make sure everything is alright. They are also very helpful when needed. I think the stay was well worth its money and the only thing keeping me from rating it 5/5 is that the hotel does not offer WiFi, which otherwise seems very common in Edinburgh.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I have just returned from a 4 day trip to Edinburgh and had the pleasure to stay at the Halcyon Hotel. Pat and Mattew do all in their power to make people feel at home. It is such a nice place with wonderfull location and the feeling of home. Very nice and clean room and good and plenty breakfast. I'd go back in minute!:-)

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Me and my friend spent a few nights there during the literature festival in August. We spent our nights in a spacious double room with a small bathroom. The shower proved a bit uncooperative, but otherwise it was all very good. The beds were comfortable and the room was very clean and tidy. There was also a lounge one could use for watching telly, but we weren't really spending that much time inside the hotel.

The breakfast (which was included) was very satisfying, the hosts were both funny and helpful, and we will definitely reccommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: If you don't like to climb stairs, ask for a room on the first floor as there isn't an eleva...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I recently stayed at the Halycon Hotel at the end of July for 3 days during the week. Firstly, the location is excellent, located on a quiet street yet close to the main arteries and only a 10 min walk to the city center. I felt safe and comfortable walking alone in the area at night.
The hotel itself is a heritage house- old, charming, clean and neat. If your looking for modern art deco, this hotel is not for you. My room was located on the first floor, single bed with a sink and closet. Pretty, functional, and had a wonderful view of the lovely garden. I did have to leave my room to go to the bathroom which was simply a few steps away. The shower was very powerful, no plunbing issues, and clean towels were supplied daily. I was hardly in the hotel, so time spent indoors was not a priority for me. I did enjoy breakfast daily in the main dining hall. The room was beautiful and clean with jams/jellies/orange juice waiting at the table. The breakfast was a full English breakfast or a variety of fruit or porridge, as well as tea and coffee. Although I wouldn't consider the meals to be gourmet, I felt the meals were fresh and beautifully presented. I also had an opportunity to meet the owners who would help serve breakfast and chat with guests- they were very pleasant and warm people. I reccommend the Halycon Hotel to travellers who want a lovely gem of a place in an absolutely beautiful city!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We arrived at the Halcyon and received a really warm welcome. Everyone was friendly and helpful. There was no free parking between 8:30am and 5:30pm however we didn't find this a problem as we drove to the modern art gallery and paid £1 for 4 hours parking and got the free bus to the national gallery (which is in town centre). The breakfast choices were good and plentiful. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013