“Don't bother”

Cuisines: Italian
Neighbourhood: Southside & Holyrood
Neighbourhood: Southside & Holyrood
Reviewed 3 July 2012

I visited to Nyam Nyam Italiano (or Trattoria as it seems to be called now) on 3rd July 2012 with a friend. We were seated promptly and given menus by a waitress who almost smiled at us (this is where they get the star!).

We had not seen each other in a while and were there to catch up. Unfortunately, the man in the kitchen had other plans and decided to come to the front of the counter shouting and swearing about somebody he worked with, to the point that we could barely hear each other. One of my best friends is Italian and to witness the full force of a rant in Italian can be a very interesting experience as I am intrigued by different languages and very much enjoy finding a hint of culture in Newington. Unfortunately, this guy was swearing and shouting in the strange Scottish accent he has picked up which is something I could have witnessed at home.

The food was quite nice but in all honesty the experience can be easily replicated by buying dry pasta and a pot of Jamie's tomato sauce and cooking it at home. This would be a lot cheaper and apparently would involve much less hassle.

The menu is relatively expensive for just being pasta in sauce (£6.50 for penne pasta with pesto is rather ridiculous!). However, when we arrived we were told it was 20% off all pasta, pizza and risotto. Unfortunately for us, the waitress was not particularly good at mathematics. Our food should have cost £5.20 (£6.50 minus 20%) each and seeing as we had both ordered tap water we were expecting a bill of £10.40. The real bill was brought over and slammed down in front of us by the angry chef before we had even thought about asking for it. I was planning on ordering ice cream too but was not given the chance and didn't much feel like staying after our experience. The bill was £13.20 as the waitress had come to the conclusion that we should pay £5.60 for our meals (roughly 14% off) and charged us "service" of £1 each because we had both ordered a tap water!?

By this point I had given up on disputing. We paid and we left. We will not be returning.

1  Thank PDalziel

Reviewed 30 May 2012

Went in here today with infant and pregnant, was refused tap water with meal. When I asked isn't that illegal(a genuine question), I was shouted at in front of other customers. What I can only assume was the owner/chef, continued to call me a cheapskate and he didn't want 'my kind in there'. My son got scared and started screaming that I couldn't even strap him into his buggy and had to do it outside. I quickly followed suit with my son and burst into tears. I'm actually appalled that such a bully is still in buisness.

3  Thank Jen P
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I have a mixed opinion of Nyam Nyam. The food is just amazing- I love the pasta and the ice cream and I would definitely recommend it based on the food. I have had some of the best Italian food I have ever eaten there. However, I think the bad points about this place outweigh the good somewhat. Firstly, the portion sizes should be at least 50% bigger to merit their pricing. Although the food is delicious, there is definitely not enough for what you pay. Secondly, the atmosphere in the place is very unfriendly, hostile even. On entering you are met with a list of "rules" that is stuck to the counter. I was a little offended that I, a paying customer, was confronted with "rules" as if I were a schoolchild. I read them, and found the tone of them very aggressive. One "rule" that stood out in particular was "If you're not satisfied, get to Naples!" or something along those lines-- I'm sorry, but your customers pay for your rent, the food on your table and the clothes on your back- take them seriously and treat them with respect.
I personally have had no problems with the staff, but I remember a heated exchange between the man I presumed was the owner and a girl and her boyfriend seated next to us. The girl had asked for tap water, which the owner refused to give her. I'm pretty sure it's a legal requirement for a restaurant/cafe to provide free water for its customers? Even if it isn't, it's certainly good practice and very gracious, given the amount of money the customer has already spent on food. Their tap might have been unsafe to drink from, I don't know, but he should have handled the situation in a more polite manner. Having to listen to an argument while trying to enjoy our lunch was not pleasant anyway.
There is no toilet and the place is always freezing. Not welcoming at all, which is a shame, as the food is very good. I think some ideas could do with being bucked up here and there.

1  Thank diableamoureux
Reviewed 27 February 2012

This place might be on the small side, but the prices are great and the food is simple but filling. The pizza is very cheap for what you get, and the pastas are delicious, although the helpings are on the small side. All in all, a great place for lunch or an early dinner.

Reviewed 12 January 2012

Amazing takeaway pizza, good value and great if youre in a hurry.