“Delicious”

Ranked #1,216 of 2,478 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Broughton & Calton
Description: Relax in our vibrant lounge bar over a cocktail before dining in our Turquoise Thistle Restaurant. Savouring some of Scotland’s favourite dishes and drinks with a contemporary twist. For something special join us for afternoon tea or pre and post theatre dinner.
Dumfries, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I stayed in the Hotel Indigo on the weekend of 18th October which was beautiful and decided we would eat in the Hotel restaurant the Turquoise Thistle. We got seated next to the window and our meal was delicious. I had the Scallops to start and the Venison which were both cooked perfectly to my taste. My Husband had the Steak and Chips with Pepper Sauce which he also enjoyed very much. I had signed up for a trial Taste Card online which gives discount on some restaurants in the City. I advised our waiter I had this before we ordered and he confirmed the Turquoise Thistle do accept this card and we would get 50% off our food bill. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone hunting a lovely meal within walking distance of the Edinburgh Playhouse or Princes Street, you do not need to stay in the hotel to eat here. I would also recommend signing up to the taste card online for a free trial before your trip as this saves a lot of money if you are eating out.

Visited October 2013

Edinburgh, UK
“So-so dining experience”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We went to Turquoise Thistle for an early supper - well, the food was just ok, but not outstanding. Too much salt (for me). We felt a bit overpriced, given its average quality. The decor of the restaurant was a bit strange ...

• Visited October 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Fabulous Afternoon Tea”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Great afternoon tea with lovely presentation and the choice of tea or coffee, we went with an Itison voucher but will definitely be going back. Not you're normal cucumber curled sandwiches!! Potato scone with cream cheese and smoked salmon, herb scones with roast beef and mustard and the most fabulous scones and cakes :) we couldn't finish it and were offered a cake box to take leftovers home... A very nice touch! The service was smooth and swift and not intrusive

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Audrey D
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Some things good... Some things not so good...”
Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

We booked the Turquoise Thistle because it accepted my Gourmet Society discount card and was close to the hotel we were staying in.

It was a shame that we were the only diners for the first hour of our meal... The waiters clearly didn't have enough to do an were roaming around the restaurant for most of the time we were there.

I'm going to be picky... There was side plates on the table... I assume for bread which can be ordered as a starter... We didn't order bread but the side plates were not taken from the table for the whole of the meal. They actually got in the way a bit, especially when the waiter was trying to put the main course plate on the table. I couldn't work out why the plates were left there and why they didn't offer any bread... little things like that can be quit annoying.

The food overall was quite nice. The medallions of beef were excellent, but the venison, although nice just didn't work as a plate of food. Everything on the plate was cooked well, but just didn't go together well. That was a shame. I think the triple cooked chips were best part of the meal.

The discount made the meal good value for money, but I'd have been disappointed if I had to pay full price.

• Visited September 2013
Motherwell, United Kingdom
“Fabulous afternoon tea.”
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Afternoon tea at the Turquoise Thistle was fantastic. The staff were very attentive and welcoming, and offered us a glass of water followed by bringing us our glass of prosecco. The restaurant itself is absolutely stunning, a lovely surrounding to enjoy a fabulous afternoon tea. Instead of the usual sandwiches we were brought English muffins with roast beef and horseradish, smoked salmon and cream cheese blinis, ham and Brie croissants and a selection of cakes, biscuits and scones. Plenty of food between the two of us and it was delicious! We used our Groupon voucher but would definitely return again and pay full price!

• Visited September 2013