“Lovely Christmas Day Lunch”
Review of Turquoise Thistle

Turquoise Thistle
Ranked #1,161 of 2,626 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Broughton & Calton
Description: Relax in our vibrant lounge bar over a cocktail before dining in our Turquoise Thistle Restaurant. Savouring some of Scotland’s favourite dishes and drinks with a contemporary twist. For something special join us for afternoon tea or pre and post theatre dinner.
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We ate Christmas Day lunch at the Turquoise Thistle this year. We had the choice of a 2 or 3 course lunch with at least 3 choices available for each course, we decided on the 3 course which was an absolute bargain at £19.99 pp (and on Christmas Day too!). All 3 courses were of very good quality, very tasty and very well presented. The drinks menu was extensive and well priced, around £18 for a bottle of wine. The service that we received from arrival to departure was extremely professional. We would defiantly recommend and would return in the future.

Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

My wife and I dined at the Turquoise Thistle prior to going to the playhouse theatre, which is only a 10 minute slow walk away.

The service was very professional yet still friendly. Good knowledge of what was on offer.

Wine menu seemed extensive and had a nice rosè for us.

The menu may seem slightly restrictive in terms of variety but they seem to have gone for the notion of specialising in few as opposed to jack of all trades. What we did get from the kitchen was exceptionally tasty and the combinations were interesting and complimented the meal nicely. If you have a steak, which we did not, then you have to order chips seperately and this makes things more expensive.

Prices are Edinburgh City centre but there is a 3 course for £19.99 if you pick certain items from the menu which between my wife and I we did and as such saved a little money.

Overall, portion sizes left me feeling a little less full than I'd prefer but we would definitely return.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Found this on 5pm and chose it for a pre-theatre meal because of its proximity to the Playhouse. The décor is bright, contemporary and comfortable. The choice on the set menu was limited but the food (when it came) was excellent, well presented and good value. A touch I particularly liked was the water flavoured with real raspberries. It was let down by slow and sloppy service. It took nearly half an hour before the first course arrived, then the chef "misread" the order and only 4 out of the 5 main courses had been prepared - not good when you're watching the clock. No-one appeared to be in charge. Despite all this, would probably give it another try because of its location and quality of food.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

Mum and I had afternoon tea at the Turquoise Thistle and whilst I can not fault the savoury part the sweet section let it down. The Savoury layer was inventive, different and delicious however the nest to layers was like an homage to chocolate. The scone was chocolate, the choux pasty had chocolate on it as did the meringue. There was 7 different sweet thing involved in the afternoon tea and 5 of them had an element of chocolate to it. If you are eating as much as you do in an afternoon tea you need a variety of flavours.

2  Thank LKMcFarlane
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I stayed in the Hotel Indigo on the weekend of 18th October which was beautiful and decided we would eat in the Hotel restaurant the Turquoise Thistle. We got seated next to the window and our meal was delicious. I had the Scallops to start and the Venison which were both cooked perfectly to my taste. My Husband had the Steak and Chips with Pepper Sauce which he also enjoyed very much. I had signed up for a trial Taste Card online which gives discount on some restaurants in the City. I advised our waiter I had this before we ordered and he confirmed the Turquoise Thistle do accept this card and we would get 50% off our food bill. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone hunting a lovely meal within walking distance of the Edinburgh Playhouse or Princes Street, you do not need to stay in the hotel to eat here. I would also recommend signing up to the taste card online for a free trial before your trip as this saves a lot of money if you are eating out.