“Gluten Free Heaven”

Stag Espresso at Dovecot
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: Cafe
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Description: Stag Espresso is a local, independent café operator specialising in great coffee, complimented by excellent service and a selection of the best local produce. It's first home is in the stunning Dovecot Building which was refurbished 3 years ago. Dovecot is centre for tapestry, craft and now great coffee.
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We have been to Dovecot at least five times on our previous visits to Edinburgh, and will be regulars now that we are living here!

Eating out with Coeliac disease can be nightmarish, so Dovecot have been lifesavers! The ever-changing soup options are always delicious (and gluten free), and served in generous portions. I was so pleased to learn that they also have gluten free rolls to serve their amazing sandwiches on, and only once was I unable to have gluten free (as the waiter advised the last of the rolls was not up to a standard of freshness he was prepared to serve me!), so had the sandwich filling as a salad instead, which was an equally tasy option!

The gluten free brownie is also so delicious, and there are often other sweet GF options as well.

Bottom line is we love Dovecot, and can't recommend it highly enough. Coeliacs- you can confidently eat here!

Reviewed 25 March 2014

Not much I can add to that. The sandwiches are huge and just incredible - each one better than the last. I particularly love the ham and cheese, the pastrami, and the crowdie and walnut (best of the lot...that I've tried so far!). Good soup, great coffee. I can take or leave the cakes but their homemade bread is the bomb.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

I can't say anything that hasn't already been said. This is my go-to coffee shop to read and have the best cup of coffee in the morning. The decor is minimalist and free from distractions. It's clean and bright, with great windows for people watching passers-by on the way to the university. Their cakes are really nice. Sadly I have yet to try a soup or sandwich, but from the look and smell of them, they are top notch. And the staff will brighten any dreary Edinburgh day.

Warning: No wifi, which is why I like to come here and read. Part of their distraction-free environment.

Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

Great coffee, great cakes, great atmos and Richards a great bloke!
Returned after a maternity/baby induced absence and savoured my coffee :-)

Love it there. Back soon!!

Reviewed 8 September 2013

The Dovecot's refit and subsequent opening of Stag Espresso is one of the best recent additions to the Old Town. The coffee is excellent, really, really excellent, and the cakes are delicious. I have also had a sandwich there and that was very good too: as you'd expect, good café food indeed.

The service is great, friendly and considerate. The surroundings are brilliant, we have never needed to try ringing to reserve and you should browse the gallery as part of your experience.

All in all, highly recommended. One of my top few places to have coffee in the city!