“my favourite place!”

Cuisines: Scottish
Neighbourhood: Broughton & Calton
Neighbourhood: Broughton & Calton
Reviewed 22 August 2013

This is by far my favourite place in Edinburgh, not only because they make the best hot drinks in town but because I feel like home! Is a very unique and same time extremely familiar place, that is impossible to visit it just for one time.The place inside is just perfect. There is no bar separating you from the barista, who is like your old friend, and you feel like a guest in his place. Staff are amazing, smart faces, very friendly with sense of humour and with a great style. There are two rooms, and personally I prefer the one is back which looks like an ethnic living room and is more quite. You may share your table and the sofa if the place is too busy, so if you don't like the idea, it's better to stay in one of the tables close to the bar, in the other room. There some times story-telling nights, and the atmosphere is really great.
I really like the charm of this place and I recommend it to everyone!

2  Thank fed_lubitel

Reviewed 22 August 2013

The smell of the coffee from the street is good.

But be wary about going in though.

You'll stand and wait to be served.

And you'll wait some more.

And the Barista will carry on doing what he is doing.

And despite the fact you've been there for 5 minutes now, he'll ignore you.

He won't make eye contact and he certainly won't say hello.

Because they have enough customers already don't they?

And you are not required.

In fact you coming in is just a nuisance, because it interrupted his concentration.

Shame

7  Thank DavidDundonald
Reviewed 21 August 2013 via mobile

Great coffee.this is how you do it!.
That's all really but review must be 100 characters, so ill keep on babling, not necessary really as I said all I needed to say in 20ish:)

Reviewed 12 August 2013

I love coffee. And it has come to such an addiction over years that wherever I go, I check if I can find a good coffee shop in the neighborhood.
Then comes my trip to Scotland, and my stop in Edinburgh. I noticed Artisan Roast here and there on the web, which seemed quite a well-known address for many coffee addicts.
Seeing a nice lever espresso machine with bottomless portafilters is somehow a sure proof that peoples here care about coffee. And the instant your double espresso is poured, and finally taste it, you understand what a really good coffee is. The beans I chose were from Sumatra, and it tasted incredibly good, with a nice refreshing acidity, and pretty well poured. Then, I had a try with their local blend for a cappuccino, and again, it was very well balanced, nicely poured, and, yeah, pretty awesome.
Other than what's in your cup, I liked the mood of the place. It feels like you're in the barista's living room, because there is no counter. Decoration is nice, and this seems a good place to relax while reading or chatting with friends, despite it is very small.
Definitely an awesome address if you like coffee, and you spend some time in Edinburgh (other than Artisan Roast, the city itself really worth it, too).

Reviewed 12 August 2013

Just being in Edinburgh for a few days I couldn't stop bumping into people who told me that I must go here for a 'flat white'. I must confess to never having heard of such a thing - but duly ordered and had a plain croissant to satisfy my breakfast urges. Fantastic... the closest I've ever had to a Roman cappuccino (which is small intense and velvety), which the British cappuccino just doesn't even begin to resemble. I felt terribly conventional here though - everyone else seemed painfully avant-garde.