The Salisbury Hotel
US$238
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$206
US$167
  • Bar/Lounge
Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$260
US$245
Fraser Suites Edinburgh(Edinburgh)
US$207
  • Restaurant
Apex Grassmarket Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$151
US$131
US$125
US$146
US$139
Cairn Hotel Edinburgh(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$143
US$110
  • Bar/Lounge
Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$164
US$154
  • Restaurant
All reviewscity centrelovely hotelcooked breakfastroyal mileipod docking stationholyrood parkfour posteroff street parkingboutique hotelminute walkthe ground floorarthur's seatquiet locationroom was largeday ticketsingle roomfamily room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 November 2013

This hotel looks quite nice at face value. perhaps a little crumbling at the edges. Its close to Arthur's seat and the international swimming pool. A resonably and not unpleasant walk to the University and a little further to the city centre.
The main grumbles were the potentially lethal tiles in the bathroom when combined with the operation of the walk-in-shower-cum-mini-swimming pool....Seriously slippy! I'm surprised no one has slipped and broken bones. Advice? Bring flip-flops or throw every available towel on the floor. Also the bath taps didn't work properly nor did the bath plug and the toilet is so close to the wooden box under the wash basin that it was hard not to decapitate one's knee. Oh and the toilet wobbled worryingly on deseating.
The only other grumbles centred on some of staff looking after the breakfast room. Rude is one way to describe their attitude, brusque another more generous way. And be prepared to hold on tightly to your plate unless you want them whipped from beneath your eyes in a millisecond without even asking if you had finished..uneaten toast squirrelled away without a peep, shortly followed by the plates and cups and saucers. Beware the 10am breakfast deadline is strictly enforced. A 9.55 arrival might mean the table is already being cleared and noisily put away.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Discerninglyso
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Stayed for a night to attend a conference at John McIntyre Centre. What a lovely surprise...lovely room with a splendid shower and quiet and comfortable, had a great nights sleep.
Staff were friendly and helpful nothing was too much trouble. Shame I was only there for a night. A hidden gem in the hustle and bustle of a busy city.

Room Tip: I was upgraded to a superior room.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 November 2013

The hotel is well located and convenient for touring. Rooms are pretty good - we got an upgrade to a room with a bath, and it was great. The room was well equipped with nice towels, great bathroom with open shower and huge bath. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have slept in. Staff were very helpful and attended to all our issues with alacrity.The free wifi worked only sporadically and reception varied throughout the building, probably due to the thickness of the walls.Only drawback is the apparent lack of public seating/lounge.
The breakfast room is shared with an up-market restaurant under separate management, but it attended to all our needs without any problems. We would definitely visit again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 November 2013

The hotel is nice, we had one of the smaller rooms towards the back that was still reasonably sized and with nice furniture and coloring of the walls etc, the room was really ok. The backyard is very calm and you have a view towards trees and a bit open space, at least in the second floor it was an ok view and very quiet and calm.
Bathroom had a nice walk-in shower that looked very clean, rest of backroom was not great but really ok.
Breakfast was a buffet, not big but sufficient and ok quality. Just a bit annoying that there is no real bread, only toast.

Room Tip: Room towards the back are more quiet and have view towards trees.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I cannot say anything at all about this hotel only its online booking system. Basically don't use it! I booked a room yesterday (Saturday 12 October 2013) using the online system. When I opened my e-mails today I found one from the hotel saying they were sorry I had cancelled my reservation. I sent an e-mail saying I had not cancelled and then telephoned the hotel, getting an answer on my second attempt. I was told that there had been only one room available and it had been snapped up just before I booked online and before the system had had time to update. They had tried to telephone me but I do not reply to "Withheld" numbers. As a result I am left without a room and with a bitter taste in my mouth

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank Grant L
MrandMrsWoods, Manager at The Salisbury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Thank you for your review.

Please accept our most sincere apologies for the fact that the last room we had available for your required dates was sold a mere two minutes before you placed your booking. Unfortunately as the reservations were made at almost exactly the same time our channel management system did not have sufficient notice to update availability. This type of error is a rarity and our online reservation system is an efficient and easy to use system for guests wishing to reserve a room via the internet.

However, we would like to add that the Hotel reception team phoned you within five minutes of your reservation being placed to apologise and inform you of the situation. We can not be held responsible for you finding out 24-hours later by e-mail because of your unwillingness to answer your own telephone. In future we would recommend taking your calls as it might be important.

Thank you once again for your review.