“Disappointing”

Ranked #87 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Based on the reviews, I booked this hotel for a 3 night stay expecting a high standard of cleanliness and service.

Overall, the hotel did not live up to expectations.

The room was very small. Single bed was sunken in the middle, and pillows were flat and hard.
Carpets were old and looked like they needed a good clean.Curtain had come off the rails.

Bathroom was tiny, and the shower made water go everywhere. Good thing I took my flip flops as as recommended by one reviewer.

Cassini restaurant downstairs was very over priced, and the staff had a snooty and stuck up attitude - for what reason, one does not know...

One redeeming factor about the hotel is its convenient location. Won't be staying here again.

Room Tip: Avoid the standard single room.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
familywoods, Manager at The Salisbury Hotel, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Thank you for your review of the Salisbury Hotel.

We are sorry to learn that you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay. With regards to your comments we would like to take this opportunity to respond.

The Salisbury Hotel operates with an exceptionally high standard of cleanliness and service. Having recently undergone our Visit Scotland and Scottish Tourist Board annual inspection, we passed with flying colours and retained our 4-Star Small Hotel status. Each room we offer is checked before each guest arrives to ensure they meet the high standards required to obtain this award.

The Single room that the guest stayed in has adequate floor space in both the bedroom and shower-room for a lone occupant to relax in complete comfort. The single bed it offers has been commented on by previous guests as being extremely comfortable; although we appreciate people prefer different types of mattress. The curtains in this room were hung before the guest checked in; when the guest pulled them off their rail we would have happily hung them up had we been informed. The Hotel carpets in all bedrooms and public areas were professionally cleaned this past week and look excellent. With regards to the excess water in the shower-room, this issue is in the process of being rectified in all rooms and our plumber will be installing structural measures this week.

The independently operated Café Cassis is an excellent family run bistro. The staff are nothing but friendly, courteous and professional, and receive many positive reviews and a high ranking on Trip Advisor for Edinburgh restaurants. To say “the staff had a snooty and stuck up attitude” is, in this case, somewhat of a hypocritical comment.

Our Front of House staff are always available to help our guests with whatever they require and to ensure that any issues that may arise are dealt with in an efficient and timely manner. The guest in question did not possess the initiative to raise one single issue with our reception team during their three day stay, even though she contacted us on several occasions to fetch her something.

While we appreciate that this guest had one or two issues with their stay, we do feel it somewhat discourteous that instead of informing us at the time and giving us the chance to rectify any problem, they have come straight on to Trip Advisor to post a review. We would recommend to every guest staying in any hotel that if you have a problem, inform the Front of House staff; we are happy to help and serve you in anyway we can.

Thank you once again for your review and we hope you had a productive and enjoyable stay in Edinburgh.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed at The Salisbury Hotel for 9 nights through business. The three reception colleagues I met were brilliant - helpful, knowledgable and attentive. The room was warm, pleasantly decorated and sized, comfortable king/superking bed, stylish walk in shower bathroom.

Free Wi-Fi was available which was an unexpected treat. Breakfast from 8-10 and I was well looked after - my room name and stay duration were well remembered. Dinner was absolutely fantasic (recommending the duck confit and pork cheek..) and a fantastic service level. The French Sauvignon is also divine. Some slight confusion as to how the meal was charged to my room but quickly resolved.

My only peeve is that the walls surrounding my room must has only been reinforced partition walls of some description as I could hear a lot of conversation and laughter from the following room but it only mildly distrubed one of my nights stay and reception were very sincere about the issue.

The building is beautiful (Georgian..?) and well located in Newington so a 20 minute walk to the city centre and a short taxi/bus ride, both of which services are very convenient.

I absolutely would stay again and would recommend to friends and family. If you're reading this and questioning your stay, I advise you question no more.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2013

This hotel looks quite nice at face value. perhaps a little crumbling at the edges. Its close to Arthur's seat and the international swimming pool. A resonably and not unpleasant walk to the University and a little further to the city centre.
The main grumbles were the potentially lethal tiles in the bathroom when combined with the operation of the walk-in-shower-cum-mini-swimming pool....Seriously slippy! I'm surprised no one has slipped and broken bones. Advice? Bring flip-flops or throw every available towel on the floor. Also the bath taps didn't work properly nor did the bath plug and the toilet is so close to the wooden box under the wash basin that it was hard not to decapitate one's knee. Oh and the toilet wobbled worryingly on deseating.
The only other grumbles centred on some of staff looking after the breakfast room. Rude is one way to describe their attitude, brusque another more generous way. And be prepared to hold on tightly to your plate unless you want them whipped from beneath your eyes in a millisecond without even asking if you had finished..uneaten toast squirrelled away without a peep, shortly followed by the plates and cups and saucers. Beware the 10am breakfast deadline is strictly enforced. A 9.55 arrival might mean the table is already being cleared and noisily put away.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Discerninglyso
NorthYorkshire
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Stayed for a night to attend a conference at John McIntyre Centre. What a lovely surprise...lovely room with a splendid shower and quiet and comfortable, had a great nights sleep.
Staff were friendly and helpful nothing was too much trouble. Shame I was only there for a night. A hidden gem in the hustle and bustle of a busy city.

Room Tip: I was upgraded to a superior room.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Glasgow
Reviewed 10 November 2013

The hotel is well located and convenient for touring. Rooms are pretty good - we got an upgrade to a room with a bath, and it was great. The room was well equipped with nice towels, great bathroom with open shower and huge bath. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have slept in. Staff were very helpful and attended to all our issues with alacrity.The free wifi worked only sporadically and reception varied throughout the building, probably due to the thickness of the walls.Only drawback is the apparent lack of public seating/lounge.
The breakfast room is shared with an up-market restaurant under separate management, but it attended to all our needs without any problems. We would definitely visit again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 1 November 2013

The hotel is nice, we had one of the smaller rooms towards the back that was still reasonably sized and with nice furniture and coloring of the walls etc, the room was really ok. The backyard is very calm and you have a view towards trees and a bit open space, at least in the second floor it was an ok view and very quiet and calm.
Bathroom had a nice walk-in shower that looked very clean, rest of backroom was not great but really ok.
Breakfast was a buffet, not big but sufficient and ok quality. Just a bit annoying that there is no real bread, only toast.

Room Tip: Room towards the back are more quiet and have view towards trees.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I cannot say anything at all about this hotel only its online booking system. Basically don't use it! I booked a room yesterday (Saturday 12 October 2013) using the online system. When I opened my e-mails today I found one from the hotel saying they were sorry I had cancelled my reservation. I sent an e-mail saying I had not cancelled and then telephoned the hotel, getting an answer on my second attempt. I was told that there had been only one room available and it had been snapped up just before I booked online and before the system had had time to update. They had tried to telephone me but I do not reply to "Withheld" numbers. As a result I am left without a room and with a bitter taste in my mouth

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank Grant L
MrandMrsWoods, Manager at The Salisbury Hotel, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Thank you for your review.

Please accept our most sincere apologies for the fact that the last room we had available for your required dates was sold a mere two minutes before you placed your booking. Unfortunately as the reservations were made at almost exactly the same time our channel management system did not have sufficient notice to update availability. This type of error is a rarity and our online reservation system is an efficient and easy to use system for guests wishing to reserve a room via the internet.

However, we would like to add that the Hotel reception team phoned you within five minutes of your reservation being placed to apologise and inform you of the situation. We can not be held responsible for you finding out 24-hours later by e-mail because of your unwillingness to answer your own telephone. In future we would recommend taking your calls as it might be important.

Thank you once again for your review.