“FANTASTIC !!”

The Salisbury Hotel
Ranked #95 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

What a great place to stay.. Kevin and all the staff at the Salisbury Hotel are so friendly and helpful. Perfect location for exploring Edinburgh, we were recommended to eat in some lovely places who will also be getting a review on Trip Advisor. We will definitely stay in this hotel again !!

• Stayed: May 2014
Salisburyhotel4345, General Manager at The Salisbury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Good Morning and thank you for your very positive feedback of our hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back to The Salisbury in the future.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

I recently stayed here on a business trip to Edinburgh, having chosen the hotel on the basis of its proximity to where I would be working. Whilst perfectly comfortable, the rooms are a little tatty around the edges (chipped plasterwork, precariously-attached lampshades and a wardrobe hanging rail which collapsed on a regular basis) and my double would have been rather snug for two. However, staff were friendly and the breakfast was perfectly acceptable.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Salisburyhotel4345, General Manager at The Salisbury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2014

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review The Salisbury Hotel. I am sorry to read that you had a number of issues with our accommodation. I wish you had taken the time to bring all these issues to the attention of the front of house team or myself. Had this been done we could have sorted out all of the issues that you have mentioned. We at The Salisbury pride ourself on the high standards of the decor in our rooms, which has mostly received very positive feedback from guests.

The premises consists of two Georgian properties and things do go wrong at times. We always invest heavily in our maintenance programme to keep the building in good condition.

Just this week past I have had our contractor in to quote for redecoration of a few of our rooms, as when something like this is brought to my attention I act upon it as quickly as possible.

I hope you had a productive visit to Edinburgh and hopefully we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

We were so comfortable in our room we didn't want to leave. Kevin and the team offered excellent customer service and our room was clean with plenty of special touches. I would highly recommend The Salisbury Hotel to anyone :)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your very positive review of our hotel. I am glad to hear that my team has given you such a good impression of the hotel. I am very proud of them for this. We strive to ensure that all guests receive the highest possible standard of customer service possible during their visits.

We hope you had a safe journey back to Australia and hopefully we will see you back in Edinburgh again.

Regards

Reviewed 23 April 2014

The staff were very friendly and extremely helpful. Hotel well situated for the Children's hospital & City centre only a short bus ride away. Pleasant quiet room overlooking the garden with larger than average double bed. However pillows too firm for me & quilt very heavy making for an uncomfortable nights sleep. This said I would return if I visit the area again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear that many aspects of your stay were positive. In regards to the pillow and duvet situation I can only apologise for this not being up to the standard that you required. We are currently looking into stocking different types of pillow to ensure that we can meet the highest standards possible for our guests. In regards to the duvet I will take this feedback on board and try to look for a resolution.

This said I do hope you will come back to The Salisbury.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Very nice, clean hotel - located close to city centre. Staff were very helpful and thoughtful. facilities were excellant and as advertised. w=Would recommend this hotel to anyone planning a visit / stay in Edinburgh

Room Tip: just go with any
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your positive review of The Salisbury Hotel. We are glad to hear that the hotel met with all your expectations. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Warmest regards

Reviewed 12 April 2014

After having stayed in hundreds of hotels across the world the Salisbury is in now firmly in my top 10. Could you do better in terms of Georgian glamour? Sure, but this hotel goes the extra mile in terms of unbelievable customer service.

This well located hotel (1o minute bus trip or a good 25 minute walk) is intimate, rooms comfy, the bed sheets are magnificent and big, bright bathrooms all make this a great stay but it's the staff that put the Salisbury into a different stratosphere.

From the moment you walk through the door you feel at home, happy and welcomed. The gift of Tunnocks Teacakes (very Scottish) , everyone knows your name and we were personally welcomed by Kevan The General Manager, these things all combine into a lovely customer caring touch. All too often a hotel will kindly take your money and you feel like your just another sausage being spat out of the factory. At the Salisbury be prepared for a warm surprise. Imagine a hotel where your asked about your day!

I leave knowing I will be back. Thanks team Salisbury, take a bow, because anyone who has stayed here is or should be applauding.

Room Tip: We had a superior double overlooking the garden and the hotels very own log cabin! Garden view is be...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Salisburyhotel4345, General Manager at The Salisbury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Thank you for your review of The Salisbury Hotel. We are pleased to hear that you have had such a good experience during your stay with us. I am very proud of my team and the excellent customer service they have shown. We at The Salisbury try very hard to ensure that our guests do feel at home and not just another "sausage spat out of the factory". All of our guests are very important to us and the reason we come to work each day!

We do hope to see you soon.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 10 April 2014

Bought a Four Poster room with Amex points, while had friends in other Superior rooms. Aesthetics on arrival (external + reception area) are a little dull. My room was right next to reception (there's no lobby in practice). Suitably large, with mock fireplace and indeed a comfortable four poster bed. Cleanliness so-so (e.g. drink stains on desk and bedside tables), also some untidiness with a mess of electric cables to a disconnected iPod player. Large tv with no international channels and even poor digital signal on main BBC channels! Large bathroom with open shower and bathtub, no hanging place for towels. Curiously, only one large size towel was provided in each double bedroom!
Breakfast ok, friendly service but modest choice.
Funnily (for our group of friends - but it's a serious security matter) any of my friends' keycard could unlock my room's door !
Overall, a relatively cozy place that needs some attention; for sure not a 4 star arrangement as claimed.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Good Evening

With regards to this very negative and untrue review of the Salisbury Hotel I would like to take this opportunity to respond

1. Our reception areas are decorated to a very high standard using the best quality materials and furnishings, we are an 18 bedroom Townhouse Boutique Hotel and I find it strange that the guest should expect a reception/lobby like that of a larger hotel chain. The guests room was in fact not straight of reception as claimed but in a hallway off the main reception area.

2. The fireplaces in all of our Suites are not mock as claimed and are in fact Georgian originals.

3. Our housekeepers keep very high standards of hygiene and cleanliness in all parts of the hotel, the drink stains the guest mentions was brought to my attention by 1 of our junior housekeepers and were in fact red wine stains from the 8 bottles of wine their group drank in the room during their get together on the 2nd night of their stay. I should point out that these were cleaned the next morning when we serviced the room as we do on a daily basis.

4. The I-Pod docking station simply needs the power button to be pressed to bring it to life, again, this was not mentioned or brought to our attention at any point during the guests stay, why? Had the guest mentioned it we could have shown them how to operate it correctly.

5. The television signal is always very good and we have never had a complaint of this nature before, again though, this was never mentioned or brought to our attention during the guests stay. Why?

6. The claim the guest makes about the towels is quite simply untrue, for every guest that stays with us in our hotel we supply them with 1 bath sheet, 1 bath towel, 1 hand towel and 1 face flannel and every room is checked every day to make sure of this, if more towels are required all they had to do was ask but yet again did not mention this at any point during their stay. Why?

7. We offer an excellent and extensive complimentary continental breakfast for all guests which we get lots of positive feedback on, hot items can be purchased for a small additional cost, the guest and his party were aware of this as there was extras getting purchased on a daily basis at breakfast by their group.

8. The issue the guest mentions regarding our door entry cards is ridiculously untrue and I strongly oppose this. I was at the hotel for the full duration of the guests stay and I would like to set the record straight that, in fact, their bedroom door was never closed properly when they were in their room which allowed other members of their party to freely gain access, yet again, this was never mentioned at any point during the stay.why? Every time a keycard is used there is a record of it sent to our computer and each key is individually encrypted to operate only our front door and the door to a specific room, We at The Salisbury take security very seriously, we have 24 hour CCTV recording for the safety of our guests and of our hotel and every step is taken to keep guests safe on our premises.

9. We have been awarded our 4 star status successfully on an annual basis since 2006 and we have to adhere to strict guidelines to retain this.

10. The Guest and his party left at 5am on their day of departure but the previous afternoon I personally asked if everything had been ok with their stay, this was their chance to highlight any of the false claims that have been made on here and the guest simply said “everything has been very good”. I would like to point out that the guests have also left a note in our guest book based at reception which says “Great days. Thanks.”

I find this review very unfair and very untrue and have to stress if a guest has an issue with any aspect of our hotel or their stay with us they should speak with our front of house team who are always on hand and more than happy to assist in any way they can.

I do hope the guest and his parties visit to Edinburgh was productive.