“Lovely hotel, but room for improvement”

The Salisbury Hotel
Ranked #88 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We had a lovely stay, room was lovely. Breakfast was very good and the staff very welcoming. There are two areas I would improve: 1st is our room (abbeyview) located on lower ground, you could hear everything that happened outside the room, including the bang of the door every time someone came downstairs, not soo pleasant at 4am. Secondly, cleaning of rooms a little restrictive, I had a work teleconference between 11-12, as a result room was not tended to that day. Overall a good stay, but the above are things that prevented from a great stay, considering paying for a upper class hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014
Salisburyhotel4345, General Manager at The Salisbury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Thank you for your overall positive review of our hotel. In light of some of the points raised I would like to respond. In terms of the noise outside Abbeyhill at 4am, I can only apologise, our laundry company collect linen between 4am and 5am everyday and this must have been noise from the driver who does the collections, this is a point I have raised with them this morning and asked them to be quieter when entering/leaving the building. I wish this had been brought up at reception on your departure from the hotel so we could have dealt with this quicker. secondly, the day of your teleconference your partner came to reception and explained that this was happening and my receptionist asked if we should remove the room from the housekeeping sheet for that day and he told her that would be best. The room was not cleaned on the instruction of your partner. all of this said, i am glad that overall you had a pleasant stay and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

We chose the Salisbury Hotel for the location, car parking and the rooms looked nice. Everything was better than we expected. Great value and highly recommended. The manager and receptionist were extremely helpful and friendly. The only let down, the early morning breakfast pack for our early departure didn't materialise. As requested a quiet easy access room was given to us and what a room, very large, nicely decorated and comfortable. The ensuite was a bit small with no space to put your toiletries and getting into the shower was difficult, a walk in shower would have given more space and been easier. It poured with rain for two days but the room was very warm and cosy. We did have access to the garden but obviously was too wet to use. We didn't need to move the car out of its parking space as busses were just around the corner. Also a corner shop handy and Salisbury Arms great for a meal if you do not want to go into the city centre for a dinner.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Salisburyhotel4345, General Manager at The Salisbury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Thank you for your overall positive review of our hotel. I am glad to hear that you found everything to be better than you expected. With regards to your breakfast not being delivered please accept my sincere apologies for this, I have spoken to the appropriate person to ensure that this doesn't happen again. We at The Salisbury pride ourselves on ensuring that every need of our guests are met.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

One night stay for a wedding nearby we were allowed to check in earlier than expected, our double room overlooked the front of the hotel and was very quiet considering. The room was nicely decorated, clean and had all the facilities one would expect for a hotel of this type.
The staff were friendly and helpful, the standard continental breakfast was excellent - we would have tried the 'fry up' was it not for the previous evenings shenanigans!- All in all a very pleasant stay and we shall definitely be returning as it is well placed for the city centre and lots of interesting vintage/charity shops en route!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for your excellent review of our hotel. I am glad to hear that your stay with us was an enjoyable one and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Salisbury in the near future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Situated in a quiet street in Newington. Pleasant hotel- our room had a comfortable LARGE bed in an en-suite room. Very clean and pleasing decor. Our window looked out on to a well kept garden when you could have snacks & lunches brought out to you.
To get up to the garden from the restaurant area was a bit of a climb as I'm not very good with steps. A hand-rail would have been a great help.
Continental breakfast well laid out and frequently stocked up by the friendly waitresses. Cooked breakfast could also be purchased.
The Cassis Cafe Restaurant is well worth a visit if you are staying in the hotel, but book to make sure you get a table. Very busy whilst we were there with customers not staying at the hotel.
All staff friendly and helpful. Edinburgh centre is easily reached by bus, from the top of the street, or the receptionist will book you a taxi. Limited parking space. Tea & Coffee facilities in the bedrooms

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your overall positive review of The Salisbury. I am glad to read that your room and view met your expectations. With regards to the handrail this is something that has been mentioned frequently and we are now obtaining quotes to install handrails to both sets of steps up to our gardens.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

We picked this hotel as it was a short bus ride to the city centre, only £1.50 single. It was extremely comfortable and the staff were friendly. The breakfast was delicious and the hotel was also spotless. We would definately stay here again.

Room Tip: Marchall overlooks the garden and was very comfortable.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your stay with us. I am pleased to read that my team were attentive and that your breakfast was delicious. We look forward to welcoming you back for some more!

Kind regards

Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

When we got here, we were greeted very nicely and shown to a very nice room. But unfortunately it did not live up to our expectations. The beds were incredibly uncomfortable, there was no a/c and, when we got to the room, all heaters were on so it felt like a furnace, the street is very noisy and the floor is cracky so you can hear when people walk around outside your room. In all, we didn't sleep much and when breakfast came around, we were completely ignored and were not offered toast or coffee. We had to ask for service. However, the table next to us that got there later were served right away. Therfore, we did not order from the kitchen menu like planned since we were never served and simply opted for the continental breakfast. In all, our experience was not the greatest and could have been much better.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Salisburyhotel4345, General Manager at The Salisbury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Thank you for your review of our hotel, in light of some of the comments you have made, I would like to take this opportunity to respond. Firstly, I am glad you were given the warm welcome that all of our guests receive when arriving at The Salisbury, The beds are very good quality and as you can see from most of our other reviews we always have very positive feedback on the comfort of them, I am sorry they did not meet your expectations, There is no Air Conditioning as we feel there is no need for it in Scotland but there are fans available in all wardrobes in all of our bedrooms, the heating is on between 8pm and 8am everyday to keep the warmth in the building but if the bedrooms get to hot there are control valves on all of the radiators so guests can control them to suit their own comfort. We are situated on a 1 way street in the leafy suburbs of the city and we have never, stress, never had any complaints about road noise, in terms of the squeeky floors you mention outside your room, I will get our contractors to look at this but must say that these things often happen with very old buildings like those of our hotel. I am disappointed to read that you were "completely ignored" at breakfast and that you were never offered coffee or toast, this is something I find very hard to believe as we have a very competent and customer friendly team, I will however investigate this matter and will also check our CCTV footage to see what went wrong, this records both images and sound. Can i also ask why none of the issues that you were quick to write on Trip Advisor was not brought to the attention of my reception team on Friday Evening? when I checked the room out on Saturday Morning I personally asked if everything was ok with your stay and the response I got was that everything had been good. I must stress that If any guests has any issues with any aspect of their stay with us at The Salisbury I ask that this is brought to the attention of either myself or my reception team who will work quickly to resolve any issues which may arise.

I hope you enjoyed your trip to Edinburgh and have a safe trip back to Canada

Reviewed 2 June 2014

25 minute walk into all the places to see in Edinburgh. Compact rooms and have to pay extra for a cooked breakfast but that aside a good value for money option to some of the very expensive city centre hotels.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Good Morning and thank you for your positive review of our hotel. We do have a small charge of £3.50 for a cooked breakfast, this is far cheaper than any of the city centre hotels offer, the reason we do this is so we can keep our prices for accommodation lower than those of our competitors, A full and substantial continental breakfast is included in all of our prices.

I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.