“Nice hotel with a very good restaurant.”

The Salisbury Hotel
Ranked #83 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
“Nice hotel with a very good restaurant.”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Very friendly and helpful staff. Nice atmosphere. Although small, a car park at the doorstep was very handy. Room looked a bit untidy due to wallpaper loose on ceiling. The WiFi, which was free of charge was troublesome. Only in hallway a good signal but not in our room. Best part was the restaurant. Very high standard and very friendly staff. Overall, I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the street will be quieter and have a view towards the garden.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I came across the Salisbury while looking for a hotel with (free!!) parking facilities that was close to the city centre. It's a very nice listed building set in a quiet street. The Royal Mile is a 25 minute walk away, and there are plenty of bus lines to and from North Bridge.
The staff was very welcoming and helpful. Our room was very spacious, as was the ensuite bathroom, with a very comfortable large bed. We did not have a view from the room as it was in the basement, on the street side of the house, but that was not a problem once the curtains were in place. Everything was very clean and tidy.
Very good choice in the breakfast buffet, with cold meats, included in the room rate.hot options were available as extras.
Due to the building being listed there are no lifts, but staff may help with luggage.
I'd recommend this hotel.

Invergarry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Lovely hotel with very friendly and helpful staff, good big room with excellent view out onto the garden and a private garden chalet for having coffee etc. couldn't have asked for more, clean, tidy and the attached restaurant was of the same high standard also with extremely helpful and friendly staff, excellent location for travel into the centre, on arrival the duty manager couldn't have been more helpful and answered any questions we had.
I would definitely book this hotel the next time I am in Edinburgh, I have already recommended this hotel to family and friends.

Room Tip: We had a upper floor room with and good view onto the garden which was lovely.

2 Thank Malcolm J
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stayed here with my parents and inlaws for 2 nights over the weekend. The hotel was great. Staff were friendly and helpful - one of the best services I have received while travelling. The building is heritage listed which means there are restrictions on what they can do (no knocking down internal walls! This makes for a very unique hotel and they have done a great job with it. There are 2 separate stairwells because of this and no lift of course but staff are willing to help with bags if you need it.

The weekend we were there there was also a buck show staying there. The staff apologised profusely as they do not let hens / bucks shows stay there but the group booked individually so they did not know. He had them right next door to us but due to being an old solidly built building we didnt hear them at all - I think they were on their best behaviour for fear of getting kicked out!!

The only downsides I can think of is its a little far from the centre of town. We had to get a cab which is about 10 pounds - fine for 4 people but maybe not cost efficient for less? We also had relatives picking us up so it was an ideal location for us with parking out the front that was always available. the bathrooms are quite small (again due to heritage restrictions in not being able to knock down walls) but it has everything you need and is the perfect place for a 2-4 night trip to the city.

I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the building - we had lovely views out from here
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
London, England
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This is a lovely hotel hidden away on a side street about a 20-25 min walk from the Royal Mile. It's perfect for travellers who want a good nights sleep and don't mind walking or taking the bus to local attractions.
The room itself was quite big for a single and very clean. I LOVED the Tunnocks tea cake left with the complimentary tea and coffee. It would be nice if these were re-filled daily as I used most of the tea on my first day but that is just a little suggestion as everything else was perfect.
The breakfast was very generous and I had the most delicious porridge. I didn't try the restaurant but the menu looks good. There are lots of tasty looking restaurants and cafés nearby so you won't go hungry.
This was a good deal for me and I would recommend the hotel to other travellers.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

On a weekend away for my partners birthday, Edinburgh as we've never been seemed nice enough. We booked for the zoo as well so were looking for a nice hotel for a few nights.
We weren't disappointed! Even though our sat nav had trouble finding it, we checked in and were shown to a cute basement room which I loved!
I liked how the rooms were not numbered and all had their own name, it added to the charm of the place I think. We had a spacious room with a very nice modern bathroom - although I did burn my arm on the heated towel rack! Woops! They do get very hot! (My own fault really, I clearly didn't read the warning signs!)
We asked at reception for recommendations as to where to eat and were pointed in the direction of too many choices! But were happy with where we did decide to eat anyway.
We brought a bottle of wine back in the evening that wasn't chilled, so asked for some ice and a wine cooler, the woman on reception offered to put the bottle in the freezer first and offered to bring it to our room with glasses, ice and a wine cooler as well! This was a nice touch as some hotels we've stayed in haven't supplied us with any of this!
The continental breakfast was surprising! There was a lot of choice and we both left full!
In all, a very nice stay, perfect customer service and worthy of its 4 stars! We can't wait to come back again this year!

Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Lizzie S
Sant Boi de Llobregat, Spain
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We stay 3days and everything was perfect, staff friendly, they help us in everything. Location was very good.
Our room was quiet, bathroom with shower, it has everything we needed.
If we come back we would repeat!