“Nice food ruined by noise and poor management attitude”
Review of Cafe Cassis

Cafe Cassis
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Cassis is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #68 of 2,460 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$12 - US$32
Cuisines: French, European, Scottish
Good for: Business meetings, Groups, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: Cafe Cassis is an exciting family orientated bistro with a fantastic enclosed garden to the rear of the restaurant.Alison &Denis welcome you to Cafe Cassis where you can enjoy fantastic food in a friendly and relaxing surroundings. The menu at Cafe Cassis is varied with a French influence and offers food made from the best locally sourced ingredients,guaranteed to tempt and stimulate your taste buds. Join us for lunch, evening meal, Afternoon Tea or just a coffee which you can enjoy in our relaxed seating area or outside in the garden.
Scotland
“Nice food ruined by noise and poor management attitude”
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We came here for a Sunday lunch, had nice food, nice service from the waitress, but ended up cancelling dessert due to the atmosphere being ruined by a very loud and extended job interview being conducted by the management at a table behind us. As the food and waitress had been fine, we tried to do the restaurant a favour by giving feedback and constructive criticism as to why we were leaving. At this point instead of listening, the owner got defensive, saying 'we should hear how noisy it is here at Christmas'. Eventually he seemed to get the point - it was not fellow diners we were complaining about, but the insensitivity of the management disrupting diners' meals with a brash, longwinded and high volume business interview in close proximity to us. This utterly destroyed what was up to this point a pleasant atmosphere. Again the owner got defensive saying 'we have no office'. Eventually there was an apology, but this was far too late in the process. He said 'we hope you come back', but how can they hope to get repeat business when they have such difficulty listening to customers feedback and their level of service recovery is so awful?

11 Thank Andy1512

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“A hidden gem! Exceptional food, friendly staff. I love this place!”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I came here for lunch some time ago with colleagues and loved the lunch.

We loved it so much our work booked Christmas dinner here and we were certainly not dissapointed!

Not only was the presentation of the food perfect but the tastes were delicious.
The duck, liver and game terrine was absolutely delicious and a very good sized portion.
I then had the venison that was cooked perfectly (which is something that appears to be a feat in some other Scottish restaurants!) I also tries my colleagues turkey and it was moist, beautiful and served with a delicious stuffing.

It just got even better with desserts. The Ice cream terrine was very Christmasy and just right. I also tried some of the delice au chocolat which was also fantastic.

Alison and Denis were perfect hosts and made us all feel very welcome as did all of the staff.

I would certainly recommend both lunch and dinner to anyone and I feel this will become a firm favourite of both myself and many friends and colleagues!

Dundee, United Kingdom
“Another visit, another great meal”
Reviewed 13 December 2013

This was our third visit to Cafe Cassis and our third great meal there. The food is simply stunning at a very reasonable price. The foie gras creme brûlée starter is "to die for". The service is excellent and the atmosphere very welcoming and friendly. Already looking forward to our next visit to Edinburgh.

1 Thank Michael S
New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious and a solid choice for any foodie!”
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I was staying at a B&B near by and I read about this place on TripAdvisor, now I am writing my own review! I cannot say enough good things about this place. I went in by myself and Alison the owner was so nice and made me feel very comfortable. She recommended something I normally wouldn't order but I like to try what restaurants consider their specialties it was a slam dunk! I also ordered this cheesecake appetizers which was fantastic. I don't think you can go wrong with anything you order from here. The chef is from Brittany(I can't remember having it better in Brittany when I was there;) Tres Bien!!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Danyell B
Hull, England
“Cannot recommend highly enough!”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

My boyfriend and I saw a review of this restaurant on Trip Advisor and decided to go there upon our recent trip to Edinburgh - we are so glad we did and cannot recommend it enough. We had the best meal!! The staff are lovely, warm adn welcoming and the restarant itself is cosy and intimate.

We had the following:

1x bottle of organic red wine (beautiful)
1x snails starter
1 x foie gras and pached pear brulee starter
1 x Venison special
1 x Beef cheeks special
1 x cheese board (to share)

The total cost of this was £75 (and that was including a £23 bottle of wine) - which we thought was quite reasonable. The food was out of this world - I would go as far as to say it was the best meal either of us has had in a restaurant. It was not only delicious but so well presented. We'd go back there again.

The staff booked us a taxi home and on the way out, the chef came out and we were able to give our compliments in person. A fantastic meal.

1 Thank ItalianBlondie