“A comfortable stay”
Review of The White Lady

The White Lady
Ranked #42 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights whilst in Edinburgh and am so glad I chose this hotel. The staff are very friendly, rooms are pleasant, clean, trendy and quiet and the food is quite reasonable too! The hotel is situated in Corstorphine which was handy as it's only 10 minutes on foot (2 minutes by car) to Edinburgh Zoo, which was the main reason why we were there. But it is also not too far away from the castle and Edinburgh's other attractions. The only drawback about the hotel is that there is no lift and the rooms are on two floors, so don't pack too much in you luggage! My room luckily was on the first floor. Car parking wasn't a problem and you get a permit to park there when you check in, that lasts the length of your stay. Was pleasantly surprised with this Weatherspoon's hotel and will definitely stay here again.

1  Thank cahop22

Reviewed 17 March 2014

My wife and i stayed here on saturday night and on arrival (around 12.30) we found a parking space and got checked in with ease. allocated room 104 which is to the front of the hotel but even with main road their we found the traffic noise ok. Rooms are as shown in other pictures, to a high decor standard and large for the price paid. bed is a little hard but that's to be expected as its mostly the norm to help extend the lifespan of the mattress. You are given a ticket to display on your car window to stop the car park gestapo giving you a ticket. After exploring the city through the day we went down for a meal around 7 pm and found a table with minimal effort although it would be nice to pre book a table as it can get very busy in the bar area. Food was of reasonable standard as was breakfast in the morning. Overall would recommend for anyone looking a comfortable place to stay.

2  Thank Babylon5657
Reviewed 10 March 2014

The White Lady is close to the airport on the main route into Edinburgh, ideal for popping into the city on the frequent bus service with free car parking which is pretty rare in Edinburgh. Rooms are spacious and well decorated, although wc's are placed incredibly close to the walls, think side saddle. The bar down stairs is typically Weatherspoons but a nice Weatherspoons and being Corstorphine the clientele is maybe not what most people would expect in a Weatherspoons. Accommodation very good value, food down stairs you get what you pay for. We have stayed on five different occasions between us and recommend it as long as you are happy being 20 minutes away from the heart of the city.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I stayed here for 2 days last week, was very nice, the rooms are perfect, not like Premier Travel Inn's, they were great rooms nice size and great beds. Some rooms were noisey early in the morning due to deliverys binn men etc.

The only thing i would state in the WIFI isnt great, you share it with a very busy pub, so no chance of you getting on to it and if you do you are kicked of in mins, they should have a WIFI especialy for the hotel guests.

You have to get in quick for the carparking, we managed both nights, we took the last space and it was before 6pm, so not sure what would happen if you arrived any later.

Otherwise a great stay, will be looking out for Wetherspoons hotels again !

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 March 2014

The White Lady a JD Weatherspoon hotel,is in an excellent location, well served by the first class Edinburgh Bus Service with the stops 50 foot from the front door. The Spacious rooms are well decorated and well maintained. The Housekeeping team do a splendid job, with the rooms reflecting their attention to detail. The only down point ,particularly for the longer stay guest is the lack of draws, but management did say this is being addressed.All members of the team were welcoming and very helpful, particularly when we asked to move room due to a very noisy piece of plant equipment set up a vibration through the bathroom wall. Due to the hotels popularity the Car Park is very busy so it pays to arrive early. Well done to all at the White Lady a well presented and well run establishment, we would be happy to return some time.

Room Tip: Rooms to the rear are nice and quiet, ask and the team is happy to help
1  Thank Its_Dunny
Reviewed 5 March 2014

The White Lady hotel is situated on St John's Road, Corstophine, which is just out of the city centre in Edinburgh. The road is quite busy as it is a main bus route into Edinburgh and the street is lined with shops, bars and restaurants.
As we were driving to Edinburgh I checked for car parking and was pleased to find there is a car park at this hotel.
The hotel is a J.D. Wetherspoon hotel and opened in 2011. I had never stayed in a Wetherspoon's hotel prior to this so had no idea what to expect, although I have visited a fair number of Wetherspoon's bars and always find them nice enough and drink prices very reasonable too. However, I do personally hold mixed views about the food and prices, as have found the food prices can be overpriced in some of the bars in terms of the quality and quantity you might receive.
As you would expect, there is a large bar and restaurant here at the White Lady and the rooms are above the bar and restaurant.

The hotel is rated 3 stars by the Scottish Tourist Board and looked nice enough on the photographs both on LateRooms.com and also the J.D.Wetherspoon website. It has also been awarded a 'Simply The Guest' Award by LateRooms.com based upon 2012 guest reviews.
There are 30 rooms at the White Lady hotel and all have an ensuite bathroom and free Wi-fi.

The hotel can be easily reached by car and bus, indeed I noticed a bus stop right outside the hotel and a number of buses running in and out of Edinburgh city centre. The hotel is also ideally situated not far from Edinburgh Zoo which is just along the road.
We found the hotel easily enough after googling driving directions, although the main road was very busy when we arrived and we just spotted the hotel in time to be able to turn off into the car park which is situated at the side of the hotel and easily missed if you are having to concentrate on the road ahead.

As we drove in, the car park appeared to be full and my heart sank. It isn't a large car park but big enough to cater for the hotel guests I would have thought. There were signs on the walls warning for non-guests not to park here and a permit must be obtained from Reception, but I did notice during our stay that some folk seemed to be parking here for a few minutes whilst visiting a shop etc on the main road.
Luckily for us, a car was pulling out and we were able to secure a space. Our friends arrived an hour or so later and also managed to get a space but did comment on how there was only one space free, so I don't know what you would do if there wasn't a space, as there didn't seem to be anywhere else to park in the vicinity. However I did notice later that 'off-site' parking is also available according to LateRooms.com so maybe this would be worth checking out before going. Thankfully it wasn't a problem we encountered and I did observe there were plenty of spaces the next morning when we left, but for a moment upon arrival I was worried we wouldn't get parked.

We arrived shortly after 2pm which is the stated check-in time and after parking the car, walked around to the front of the building where there is a door leading to Reception. Further doors then lead you through to the bar area.
We received a friendly welcome from the man on Reception, who gave us a quick run through of the hotel facilities and explained there was a phone in the room and to simply ring down if we needed anything. He pointed out our room was up on the first floor and gave us our key. He also gave us a permit for the car park and a slip of paper with the bus numbers and times on from outside the hotel into Edinburgh, as well as details of the free night bus, which I thought was a nice touch.

The stairs led off from the Reception area (I didn't notice a lift) and once up on the first floor, we found our room easily enough. The hotel had a very cosy and welcoming feel from the moment we stepped inside the front door and I had a feeling this hotel was going to exceed my expectations and I was right.

Our room was on the first floor overlooking the main road. We had booked a double room and I was pleasantly surprised at how spacious it was. It certainly had the wow factor for me and my partner on entering and looked both cosy and contemporary, There was a large floor to ceiling window and plenty of lighting in the room.
Decorated mainly in teal and brown with a thick, soft patterned carpet, it all looked spotlessly clean too.
There was a 32" flatscreen TV mounted on the wall, a wardrobe, chairs, a very comfortable double bed with bedside lamps and the inclusion of an iron and ironing board which I thought was another nice touch. A hairdryer was also included.
The mahoghany furniture complimented the decor and also a gold ornate mirror over the desk, along with pictures with individual picture lights added to the overall effect. There was also a full length mirror, tea/coffee making facilities, with sachets of tea/coffee and hot chocolate. There were also mini packs of biscuits and two bottles of spring water which again I thought was nice of them to provide.

The bathroom was spotlessly clean. There was a shower over the bath and shower gel and handwash were provided via wall dispensers, but I always take my own toiletries with me. Large fluffy bath towels and hand towels were provided too. There was plenty of hot water througout our stay and the shower was excellent, so no problems there.
The bed was very comfortable, as were the pillows. Only two were placed on the bed, but we found extra on top of the wardrobe as we like to have two each. We slept very well and I was surprised at how quiet the hotel was. We couldn't really hear much noise at all from the busy road outside and could hear no sound at all from the bar below.

There was a lovely note placed upon the desk in our room thanking us for choosing The White Lady hotel and wishing us a very happy Hogmanay.

As mentioned, I have had mixed experiences when eating at Wetherspoon's bars, but I was pleasantly surprised here at The White Lady.
We were surprised at just how big the bar is here, as it stretches way back from the front windows. When our friends arrived we decided to meet downstairs for drinks, which were very reasonably priced as you would probably expect from Wetherspoons. The bar service was swift and friendly at all times.

We were going into Edinburgh for the torchlight parade and wanted something to eat first. We were thinking about trying one of the other restaurants in the street or maybe the Toby carvery just a little further along from the hotel, when we spotted a table near ours having their meals served and thought they looked rather nice. As time was getting on, we decided to eat there, rather than find somewhere else and ordered meals from the reasonably priced menu, some of which included a free drink.
I must admit the meals we had here are the best meals I have ever had at a Wetherspoons and our friends said much the same. The quality and portion sizes were good and the prices good value too and so there were no complaints.

Breakfast wasn't included in the price of our stay but Wetherspoons do offer a varied and reasonably priced breakfast menu up until 12 noon and so we all ate here again the next morning. Again we had no complaints.

Would we return?

The answer to this is a resounding yes from all our party!

After our meals we took a bus into Edinburgh centre using the info we were given on checking in without any problems.. We got a taxi back which cost around £11 but as this was shared between four of us it wasn't bad at all.
We all spent a very comfortable night at The White Lady and our friends agreed that with the little extra touches and room comfort, it was great value for money. We paid £79 for a double room but this was Hogmanay. I was looking at this hotel again for a future stay just the other week and rooms were priced at just £51.

We were thanked for our stay on checking out at 11am the next morning and wished a safe journey home.
We are going to be returning to The White Lady hotel and therefore I am happy to recommend to everyone.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Me and my wife stopped over Valentines weekend for our anniversary and we were not disappointed in fact we were pleasantly surprised, we stopped in room 117 which is at the back of the hotel so very quiet, the room was nicely decorated and very comfortable and clean, plenty of tea, coffee inc decaf, biscuits and water, loved the big fluffy towels in the spacious bathroom, also iron,ironing board, plus hairdryer in the room,
the staff were all very nice and friendly and approachable and nothing was too much trouble for them,
would we go back? absolutely

Room Tip: The hotel is on the main road so the rooms to the rear will be quieter
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple