No photo provided
Cuisines: Indian
Neighbourhood: Southside & Holyrood
Neighbourhood: Southside & Holyrood
Reviewed 19 January 2012

I used to go here fifteen years ago and have fond memories of it. We went back last night as we were at a network meeting nearby.

It was later in the evening so we just had a main course. we had the Sazbi paneer jalfrezi and the Sazbi curry. It was good. the veg seemed to be fresh, rather than frozen. One dish was spicy, the other milder. Service was good.

Often when you go back to places they are a disappointment. This was not. They have also moved a little up-market as they had refurbished well. This is well worth going to.

Reviewed 6 January 2012

Plenty for a veggie. Good portions. Lovely people.

Reviewed 21 October 2011

Had a really bad experience here last year. Went with friends on a freezing cold and windy November evening and was seated in the room next to the main restaurant which had not been heated in advance. Everyone sat with their coats on and I could see my breath condensing when exhaling. Only one small radiator in the opposite end of the room and we were seated by the windows which had a draft. Service was slow and the waiter took drinks orders without giving us menus. Wine arrived and it was like vinegar. We asked that they take it back and they refused. We had enough and got up to leave. The manager would not let us leave without paying for the wine, physically restraining one of my friends. When I objected he made a rascist comment about my accent. In the end, another friend paid for the wine (against my wishes) and we managed to escape. Can't comment on the food as we never got that far. I've never experienced anything like it and it was pretty surreal. We still have a good laugh about it now and again even though, at the time, it was unpleasant.

1  Thank Lexexpress
Reviewed 16 July 2011

We had enjoyed a full day sightseeing but by 7pm were in need of sustenance. Thorough internet research by me at the planning stage had revealed a cluster of four suitable eateries. On arrival the first two were dismissed with a brief glance. Number three, the Kismot, described as "the best curry house in Edinburgh" may well be superb, but it was full on the night we went. The manager saw our need, took pity and was very apologetic... and we left feeling that if it had been humanly possible he would have fitted us in. We also left even more in need of a curry as the food smelt delicious. Our fourth and final stop should have been a few minutes walk away at Manna Mahal in Buccleuch Street but a wrong turning made it a long walk. When we eventually got there we found that it has now closed (TA please note). Divorce and/or violent death were averted when spouse spotted the Kings Balti a few doors further down the street. Without a word she entered and from then on all went well. By the time we left all was forgotton. Thank you KB!
We were shown a choice of tables, offered drinks and menus and could start to relax. The owner/manager took our order, which was served quickly. The curries were up with the best we have experienced. In fact the spouse said her korma was the best. Whether this verdict was influenced by the trauma we had suffered prior to getting there is impossible to say but credit to the Kings Balti for providing a soothing atmosphere and good food. Service was attentive but not overbearing. Management was keen to ensure that all stages of the meal were to our liking, giving good advice when asked about our choices. When it was time to leave we found ourselves having a long and amusing chat with the owner/manager, reassuring him that we had greatly enjoyed his hospitality and agreeing with his views on Tony Blair and the state of the nation.
I shall forever be in debt to the Kings Balti for rescuing me that night and have learnt that no matter how thorough ones plans are, they are not foolproof, and that anyway, the unplanned for things on a trip are often the best.