“Horrible experience”
Review of Chop Chop - CLOSED

Chop Chop
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: I am attempting to do a review of the Leith branch of this restaurant, but I can only find an entry for the Morrison Street premises. It looks like at least some of the reviews on the Morrison Street entry are actually intended to be about the Leith restaurant.
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I ordered food at chop chop. It all started with 90 (!) minutes delivery time. I received an email and text food should be with me at 7.50 and it came at 8.30. the delivery guy just said "we have too many customers".

The peanut chicken was completly messed up. I found all kind of fancy spices in it, like the leaflets not processed to an extent I dumped it all in the garbage. It is really disgusting I can not eat one bite without washing it down with cans of water. Terrible !!!

2  Thank suitbertus

Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

We found the waiter to have difficulty in understanding us. Very poor at clearing the table even though it was quiet. Food very syrupy and beef very mushy.

Had to ask a couple of times for missing food. Really very poor.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

There's only one good thing about this place : sticky pork ribs. Other than that, stay away.

Service was horrible, and the rice was CRUNCHY (undercooked, even when asked to be replaced). Potatoes with vegetables and a black bean sauce was not even a dish. Had some glass noodles that didn't taste like anything (except when I put soy and sesame oil). Crispy spicy squid was so average it didn't taste of anything.

STAY AWAY.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We came to chop chop recently as they sent us a discount voucher for an anniversary meal, a nice touch.

We have eaten in chop chop on a number of occasions, sometimes it has been good, others it has been poor, in the past it has never been enough one way or another to warrant a positive or negative review, until this visit.

Across our meal we complained three times, we do not usually complain, but would never leave a review if we did not give the venue a chance to respond to the complaint themselves first.

Our problems were:

1: Our crispy Northern beef arrived with barely any sauce, and was very unappetising, we have had this dish before so pointed this out to the waitress who took it away and returned with the same portion of beef, with some sauce poured over.

2: We never did receive the squid or the chicken wings that are part of the unlimited banquet, despite asking for them 3 times across the meal. (in all fairness the squid arrived just after the bill, well over an hour and a half after sitting down, and long after we had given up)

3: Despite showing our voucher at the start, and again when we asked for the bill, we got the full bill, and had to wait quite a while for this to be fixed. It appears only one person deals with the bills, and also the takeaway side, so we were standing at the counter with plenty of staff, but no-one able to help whilst the manager(I believe) was on the phone dealing with a takeaway complaint.

All in all very disappointing, the food is generally of good quality however, and you may get a good night. I prefer to not have an element of chance to my dinner.

1  Thank UrbanGorilla
Reviewed 2 August 2014

loved the food not your run of the mill Chinese food, authentic cuisine would recommend a visit when in Edinburgh