James Christie Photography - Edinburgh Photography Tours
Ranked #3 of 232 Tours in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Established in 2010, Edinburgh Photography Tours is the number one ranked photography tour in Edinburgh, all of Scotland and the number one ranked photography tour in Europe. James Christie is a world renowned and internationally published, professional photographer and he will take you on a four hour walking / photography tour around all the major attractions in Edinburgh's vibrant and famous historic Old Town. Edinburgh Photography Tours Limited were accredited with an "excellent standard" grading by Visit Scotland, Scotland's national tourist board. In addition we have were awarded TripAdvisor's prestigious Certificate Of Excellence for the year 2015, our fourth year in a row winning this award. We are also ranked as number one of all tours in Edinburgh by USA today. James Christie has established himself as one of the leading photographic instructors in the world with plaudits from all over the globe. As a native of Edinburgh, James will provide an historical account of each attraction visited. His goal is to help you get the best from your camera (SLR, DSLR, Bridge, Compact, even your smart-phone) and show you how to compose professional and memorable shots of Edinburgh. If your camera has the ability to shoot in manual mode, James is confident that after this tour, you will never go back to any of the programmable modes ever again. James shows you how to take each photograph and reviews each shot and guarantees that each participant will take home stunning photographs of Edinburgh that can be displayed and enjoyed for many years to come. The tours are aimed at all levels of photographer, from absolute beginner to experienced professional. James does not use confusing jargon, preferring to explain things in a simple to understand manner. James is friendly, patient, polite and encouraging. Edinburgh Photography Tours were established in 2010, the first photography tour of its kind anywhere in the world. We work very hard to ensure our clients have a first class experience on our tours and we continue to strive for excellence every day. The tours start at 10 am daily (Monday - Sunday) and last approximately 4 to 5 hours.The cost of the tour is £75 (with a maximum of 10 participants per tour) or a four-hour private tour can be booked for £500 (Please e-mail James for further details). Please note: Our Tours always go ahead whether we have one person booked or the maximum of ten people. Tours start in front of the National Monument on Calton Hill at the east end of Princes Street, access can be gained from Waterloo Place and you will always be tutored by James Christie.
Reviewed 27 July 2012

It was exactly what I was needing to better understand my camera settings, now I can take pictures that don't use Full Auto, the tour combined camera settings very well with how to frame the picture and the information on the sites in Edinburgh, I have recomended to the tour to freinds, it was a bargain as I picked my ticket up on Groupon.

1  Thank TomJ12345
"four hours"
"great tour"
in 60 reviews

Reviewed 24 July 2012

I got a voucher for this tour as a Christmas present and took it up relatively recently. Unfortunately the weather was atrocious but we went ahead anyway. James was very patient and did not make any of the group feel inadequate. Although I was fairly well acquainted with the basics of photography, James really brought it to life. I was motivated to re-read my books on photography and when on holiday took a lot more care with the composition and settings on my camera - and it showed. It is no longer set on automatic.
James was very good at answering my emails promptly and courteously. If rain is forecast, make sure you have waterproof jacket, trousers and boots, as you are outdoors for over 3 hours.
I would thoroughly recommend this trip to anyone who wants to do more than simply take "snaps" and would wish James success with his business.

1  Thank Ian F
Reviewed 23 July 2012

"Do you want to take your own photographs, or have a Japanese software programmer doing it for you?"

That's James's opening gambit to get you using your camera on Manual mode. Never having had mine out of Aperture Priority before, it was a revelation that it was so easy. "It's not rocket science, you know" says James, and to me it probably was before this tour.

However, don't think that this is just a photography geek tour. James is happy with any level of expertise, and any level of camera, even phones, but, you will of course get more out of the experience with reasonable equipment.

The other side to the tour is a potted (and humorous) history of the various locations, including the grisly tale of the demise of William Burke (Burke and Hare).

All in all, a good entertaining and educational tour, but don't bother taking your packed lunch; you won't have time for it......

1  Thank IanMacPerthshire
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I signed up for the course thinking that it would take alot for the tour to be worth GBP50 since I am still a student, but I was pleasantly surprised. James was friendly, very, very knowledgeable and delivered the course in an accessible way and at a great pace. It was interesting and I learnt a whole lot even though I had only used the automatic mode until then. The tour makes my family's purchase of an expensive camera so much more worth it, and I now know a little better how to take pictures that capture attention and great blue skies together with a nice exposure of the subject. Thank you james!

1  Thank Jia_Hao_Chong
See more reviews
Reviewed 20 July 2012

I must admit to being unsure whether this would be only for experienced photographers rather than for myself with my point and shoot camera but the tour was most enjoyable and informative both on the photographic side and I am sure from the tourist interest for non Edinburgh participants. James is very understanding and caters for all levels very patiently He does however work at high speed in order to pack in as much information as possible so you have to be prepared to listen carefully and move on quickly when asked. I thoroughly enjoyed the tour and came away much more informed and confident in using more than "Intellegent Auto" !!! Thank you so much James,

1  Thank Irene O

Travellers who viewed James Christie Photography - Edinburgh Photography Tours also viewed

Been to James Christie Photography - Edinburgh Photography Tours? Share your experiences!