“Absolutely wonderful - more than just a photography tour”

James Christie Photography - Edinburgh Photography Tours
Ranked #4 of 238 Tours in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Established in 2010, Edinburgh Photography Tours is the number one ranked photography tour in Edinburgh, all of Scotland and the number one ranked photography tour in Europe. James Christie is a world renowned and internationally published, professional photographer and he will take you on a four hour walking / photography tour around all the major attractions in Edinburgh's vibrant and famous historic Old Town. Edinburgh Photography Tours Limited were accredited with an "excellent standard" grading by Visit Scotland, Scotland's national tourist board. In addition we have were awarded TripAdvisor's prestigious Certificate Of Excellence for the year 2015, our fourth year in a row winning this award. We are also ranked as number one of all tours in Edinburgh by USA today. James Christie has established himself as one of the leading photographic instructors in the world with plaudits from all over the globe. As a native of Edinburgh, James will provide an historical account of each attraction visited. His goal is to help you get the best from your camera (SLR, DSLR, Bridge, Compact, even your smart-phone) and show you how to compose professional and memorable shots of Edinburgh. If your camera has the ability to shoot in manual mode, James is confident that after this tour, you will never go back to any of the programmable modes ever again. James shows you how to take each photograph and reviews each shot and guarantees that each participant will take home stunning photographs of Edinburgh that can be displayed and enjoyed for many years to come. The tours are aimed at all levels of photographer, from absolute beginner to experienced professional. James does not use confusing jargon, preferring to explain things in a simple to understand manner. James is friendly, patient, polite and encouraging. Edinburgh Photography Tours were established in 2010, the first photography tour of its kind anywhere in the world. We work very hard to ensure our clients have a first class experience on our tours and we continue to strive for excellence every day. The tours start at 10 am daily (Monday - Sunday) and last approximately 4 to 5 hours.The cost of the tour is £75 (with a maximum of 10 participants per tour) or a four-hour private tour can be booked for £500 (Please e-mail James for further details). Please note: Our Tours always go ahead whether we have one person booked or the maximum of ten people. Tours start in front of the National Monument on Calton Hill at the east end of Princes Street, access can be gained from Waterloo Place and you will always be tutored by James Christie.
Reviewed 3 July 2017

The photography tour of Edinburgh was by far my favorite day of my 8 day trip around Scotland. James has created and honed the perfect tour for people who want to learn about the history of Edinburgh while getting to spend a couple of hours picking the brain and learning from a world-class photographer.

From the get-go it was clear that James would be a great tour guide. His upbeat personality and genuine interest in the people taking the tour helped create a fun, easy-going atmosphere. It was also clear that he is passionate about Edinburgh - something that I was pleasantly surprised about as I was not expecting such a detailed history lesson throughout the day.

James clearly taught us what goes into capturing a great shot. He gave the group ample opportunities to practice by both setting up some shots for us and giving us time to explore some of the areas on our own. His advice and guidance helped me get amazing shots of the city as well as grow as a photographer. I am just an amateur hobbyist but I arrived home today with a newly lit passion for photography.

I would highly recommend this tour to anyone who is interested in photography. I am 100% going to take another tour of his the next time I am in Scotland. For those wondering - the tour took us about 5 hours. We were on our feet most of the time and we did a lot of walking. It's completely worth it, though, as the time flew by.

1  Thank Zachary B
"four hours"
"great tour"
in 60 reviews

Reviewed 2 July 2017 via mobile

Was given this as a birthday gift and I can heartily recommend this tour
Embarrassingly I learned a lot about the history of Edinburgh and I only live 15 miles away !
James has a relaxed manner about him that is both engaging and involving .
His anecdotes were fascinating as well !
He has a deep knowledge of cameras and photography and in just 5 hrs made me comfortable turning the camera mode to M for shooting ...perhaps for the first time !
You won't disappointed !

1  Thank Lachlan M
Reviewed 2 July 2017 via mobile

This was a fantastic tour both from the historical knowledge of the old town and James teaching on camera techniques in obtaining the best from your own camera. A great way to spend time in Edinburgh and suitable for all levels of budding photographers.

1  Thank Allister M
Reviewed 1 July 2017

Absolutely fantastic tour, recommended for everyone who enjoys taking photos (and honestly, who doesn't take at least an occasional snap of the places they are visiting these days?). I took the Edinburgh walking tour and am looking forward to come back to Edinburgh sometime, hopefully soon, to also take his new Rosslyn Chapel & Abbey Borders tour.

James is a great guide who obviously knows his city and its history very well and is passionate about it. He told us a great deal about the history of Edinburgh and the specific sites we visited, a lot of which you probably wouldn't hear in a "normal" walking tour. This is partly because he takes you off the beaten track for better photo opportunities.

After using my dad's DSLR for some years to take photos during holidays, I bought my own about a year ago. I spend quite some time reading magazines and websites about photography, but nothing comes even remotely close to spending half a day out in the 'wild' with James. He gives great suggestions and excellent feedback on the photos you take. Besides showing you the best places to capture the usual suspects, he will also show you some hidden gems that you would otherwise never find. Even if you don't know anything at all about photography, you will massively benefit from this tour as James does a splendid job at explaining what you need to know and letting you immediately apply this.

All in all, this was a great experience that I would definitely recommend!

1  Thank jorritbosma
See more reviews
Reviewed 29 June 2017 via mobile

I've enjoyed my tours with James Christie so much that I returned to participate on this tour. What a lovely way to get out and see some of the beautiful Scottish countryside! James takes you to each site and shares his knowledge of the history of each venue. He's clearly put a lot of effort into his research. At each site he explains the shots to take and the settings to use in a clear and easy to understand manner. After this, there is also time allocated to allowing your creative side to shine as you find your own shots you want to take with James on hand to answer any questions.

It's also a fabulous opportunity to experience some of the off camera equipment James uses to compose his fantastic photographs. He will also explain to you what equipment he uses and can recommend equivalents for whatever budget you may have.

This was a very enjoyable day away from the city itself with an inspirational guide whose passion for his work is clear to see.

Thank you James for all your help in starting my journey in photography. I hope I'll be able to do another course in the future.

1  Thank Owen E

Travellers who viewed James Christie Photography - Edinburgh Photography Tours also viewed

Been to James Christie Photography - Edinburgh Photography Tours? Share your experiences!