Open today: 00:00 - 23:59
Book In Advance
Tours from The Scottish Photography Experience tend to sell out - travellers recommend booking in advance!
Why Book on TripAdvisor?
  • Tour highlights & full itinerary
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

Recommended experiences in and around Edinburgh
from US$101.20
from US$62.07
from US$17.54
Free Walking Tour
147 Reviews
from US$1.35
More Info
All reviews photography tour james christie manual mode manual settings professional photographer great shots great teacher shutter speed james's tour complete novice his knowledge learned how learning how budding photographers learn how four hours taking photos
Reviewed 2 July 2017 via mobile

Was given this as a birthday gift and I can heartily recommend this tour
Embarrassingly I learned a lot about the history of Edinburgh and I only live 15 miles away !
James has a relaxed manner about him that is both engaging and involving .
His anecdotes were fascinating as well !
He has a deep knowledge of cameras and photography and in just 5 hrs made me comfortable turning the camera mode to M for shooting ...perhaps for the first time !
You won't disappointed !

1  Thank Lachlan M
Reviewed 2 July 2017 via mobile

This was a fantastic tour both from the historical knowledge of the old town and James teaching on camera techniques in obtaining the best from your own camera. A great way to spend time in Edinburgh and suitable for all levels of budding photographers.

1  Thank AllisterM979
Reviewed 1 July 2017

Absolutely fantastic tour, recommended for everyone who enjoys taking photos (and honestly, who doesn't take at least an occasional snap of the places they are visiting these days?). I took the Edinburgh walking tour and am looking forward to come back to Edinburgh sometime, hopefully soon, to also take his new Rosslyn Chapel & Abbey Borders tour.

James is a great guide who obviously knows his city and its history very well and is passionate about it. He told us a great deal about the history of Edinburgh and the specific sites we visited, a lot of which you probably wouldn't hear in a "normal" walking tour. This is partly because he takes you off the beaten track for better photo opportunities.

After using my dad's DSLR for some years to take photos during holidays, I bought my own about a year ago. I spend quite some time reading magazines and websites about photography, but nothing comes even remotely close to spending half a day out in the 'wild' with James. He gives great suggestions and excellent feedback on the photos you take. Besides showing you the best places to capture the usual suspects, he will also show you some hidden gems that you would otherwise never find. Even if you don't know anything at all about photography, you will massively benefit from this tour as James does a splendid job at explaining what you need to know and letting you immediately apply this.

All in all, this was a great experience that I would definitely recommend!

1  Thank jorritbosma
Reviewed 29 June 2017 via mobile

I've enjoyed my tours with James Christie so much that I returned to participate on this tour. What a lovely way to get out and see some of the beautiful Scottish countryside! James takes you to each site and shares his knowledge of the history of each venue. He's clearly put a lot of effort into his research. At each site he explains the shots to take and the settings to use in a clear and easy to understand manner. After this, there is also time allocated to allowing your creative side to shine as you find your own shots you want to take with James on hand to answer any questions.

It's also a fabulous opportunity to experience some of the off camera equipment James uses to compose his fantastic photographs. He will also explain to you what equipment he uses and can recommend equivalents for whatever budget you may have.

This was a very enjoyable day away from the city itself with an inspirational guide whose passion for his work is clear to see.

Thank you James for all your help in starting my journey in photography. I hope I'll be able to do another course in the future.

Date of experience: June 2017
1  Thank Owen E
Reviewed 29 June 2017 via mobile

Absolutely incredible tour. If you have any interest in photography, Edinburgh, David Bowie or just meeting a spectacularly cool local guy, James is your man!! He has decades of photography experience and caters to all skill levels. You get a truly unique view of various sites, even some that Edinburgh locals don't know about!! I cannot recommend this "tour" highly enough (using quotation marks because tour is an understatement). I try and book a photography tour in most major cities I travel to and this was by far the most interesting, informative and entertaining one I've ever done. When we come back to Edinburgh, I will definitely book a private session. I could have spent a week with James and not gotten tired of the experience. Many thanks for the wonderful instruction and the priceless shots!!!!

Date of experience: June 2017