“Perfect start to trip around Scotland!”

James Christie Photography - Edinburgh Photography Tours
Ranked #4 of 238 Tours in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Established in 2010, Edinburgh Photography Tours is the number one ranked photography tour in Edinburgh, all of Scotland and the number one ranked photography tour in Europe. James Christie is a world renowned and internationally published, professional photographer and he will take you on a four hour walking / photography tour around all the major attractions in Edinburgh's vibrant and famous historic Old Town. Edinburgh Photography Tours Limited were accredited with an "excellent standard" grading by Visit Scotland, Scotland's national tourist board. In addition we have were awarded TripAdvisor's prestigious Certificate Of Excellence for the year 2015, our fourth year in a row winning this award. We are also ranked as number one of all tours in Edinburgh by USA today. James Christie has established himself as one of the leading photographic instructors in the world with plaudits from all over the globe. As a native of Edinburgh, James will provide an historical account of each attraction visited. His goal is to help you get the best from your camera (SLR, DSLR, Bridge, Compact, even your smart-phone) and show you how to compose professional and memorable shots of Edinburgh. If your camera has the ability to shoot in manual mode, James is confident that after this tour, you will never go back to any of the programmable modes ever again. James shows you how to take each photograph and reviews each shot and guarantees that each participant will take home stunning photographs of Edinburgh that can be displayed and enjoyed for many years to come. The tours are aimed at all levels of photographer, from absolute beginner to experienced professional. James does not use confusing jargon, preferring to explain things in a simple to understand manner. James is friendly, patient, polite and encouraging. Edinburgh Photography Tours were established in 2010, the first photography tour of its kind anywhere in the world. We work very hard to ensure our clients have a first class experience on our tours and we continue to strive for excellence every day. The tours start at 10 am daily (Monday - Sunday) and last approximately 4 to 5 hours.The cost of the tour is £75 (with a maximum of 10 participants per tour) or a four-hour private tour can be booked for £500 (Please e-mail James for further details). Please note: Our Tours always go ahead whether we have one person booked or the maximum of ten people. Tours start in front of the National Monument on Calton Hill at the east end of Princes Street, access can be gained from Waterloo Place and you will always be tutored by James Christie.
Reviewed 20 August 2017

This tour was an absolutely perfect way to start out a 10-day trip around Scotland. If you've had the pleasure to visit Scotland, you'll know there's a beautiful photography opportunity around every corner. James not only taught us how to make the most of our DSLR, but he shared some great local knowledge of Edinburgh. Needless to say, my girlfriend and I were both fighting over the camera for the rest of the trip. I think we'll have to invest in a second camera, as James has renewed our passion for photography and provided us with the skills to make the most of the beautiful scenery all around us. Thanks again, James!!

1  Thank 12MO12
"four hours"
"great tour"
in 60 reviews

Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

James helped me bond with my camera & reconnect with my passion for photography while sharing some of the history, legends & sights (well trodden and off the beaten path) of Old Edinburgh. Through his eyes and experience, my 16 year old daughter & I saw things we hadn't noticed when walking around Old Edinburgh on our own. The small group & focus on photography gave us the time and space to discuss how to create interesting photographs worthy of display - today with James & in the future, on our own. His experience & the hands-on nature of the tour brought fresh perspective to composition "rules" I'd learned in earlier photography classes & he offered tips I will use going forward (I'm going to repack my camera bag when I get home).

James generously provided a camera for my daughter to borrow (we bought a memory card so she cd bring home her photographs). His quick adjustments to a few of my camera settings allowed me to begin to enjoy my camera in the way I thought I would when I purchased it. I'm looking forward to shooting tomorrow - on manual. Thank you, James!

1  Thank Elizabeth10024
Reviewed 15 August 2017

I had about a year of DSLR experience before this tour as a side hobby, but I had been feeling uninspired and was taking the same kind of shots over and over again. James' tour was perfect - he is knowledgeable, entertaining, and gave me the tips and tricks I needed to take my photography to the next level. Even though the tour was only 4-5 hours, I can already tell such a difference between the photos that I took the week before the tour and all the photos I have taken since. He also keeps the groups small so that he can focus more on individual instruction which really enriches the experience. Wandering around the beautiful city of Edinburgh, seeing famous sights from a different/non-touristy point of view, learning about the history behind it, all while taking incredible photos....what more can you ask for? I thought it was definitely worth the money and consider it one of my favorite experiences in my travels so far. Thanks James for an amazing tour!

1  Thank cgharford
Reviewed 14 August 2017

Delightful meander through old Edinburgh with a witty and charming guide who is also a pro photographer.
I saw places quite literally from a different angle and in a different light!
If I could give it another star, I would.

1  Thank robinsinclairw
See more reviews
Reviewed 13 August 2017

It's difficult to write a unique review for something that has hundreds of five star reviews! I had a wonderful few hours with James & really enjoyed the opportunity to hear about Edinburgh without taking a full walking tour. It felt a lot more anecdotal, like we got 'the best bits' compared to a scripted bus tour. And his pub recommendations were super :)

The main aim for me was photography rather than tourism though & that's where James really shines. He is obviously very passionate & will enthral you with tales of his career as you go. He delivers his critiques gently & with huge encouragement, which I've found some professionals struggle with. You don't feel like an idiot & you feel really proud when he tells you your shot is good!

There were two key things for me that made it excellent: First, seeing the impact of assessing a subject before starting to click because we visited both the 'wrong' and the 'best' place to take each shot. Secondly, seeing James' angle/perspective in his sample shots & then trying to replicate the same view. Both of these aspects of the tour really contributed to my development towards 'seeing like a photographer', which I struggle with in city photography.

If you are a photographer visiting Edinburgh just book this tour...you won't regret it!

Travellers who viewed James Christie Photography - Edinburgh Photography Tours also viewed

Been to James Christie Photography - Edinburgh Photography Tours? Share your experiences!