Open today: 00:00 - 23:59
Book In Advance
Tours from The Scottish Photography Experience tend to sell out - travellers recommend booking in advance!
Why Book on TripAdvisor?
  • Tour highlights & full itinerary
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

Recommended experiences in and around Edinburgh
from US$22.34
More Info
from US$18.73
More Info
All reviews photography tour james christie manual mode manual settings great shots great teacher professional photographer shutter speed james's tour complete novice learning how learned how his knowledge budding photographers learn how four hours taking photos
Reviewed 23 March 2018

I spent the best part of 5 hours with James and one other tour participant. James was very generous with passing on his photographic expertise and his knowledge of the history and interesting locations in Edinburgh. We received some very useful insights into composition, and how to get the best of the camera. I would recommend this tour to anyone interested in photography .. you will learn a thing or two for sure.

1  Thank Owen J
James C, Owner at The Scottish Photography Experience, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2018

Hello Owen,

Thank you so much for your fantastic 5 star review of Edinburgh Photography Tours. I know, initially, you were a bit sceptical making the transition from aperture priority to manual mode, but I think you excelled in the transition and I am very confident that you are well on your way to making better photographs. I'm also very pleased that you enjoyed the historical content of the tour and hope that you and your son have a fabulous time in Paris and then Italy.

J

Reviewed 20 March 2018 via mobile

I had a great day today with James in Edinburgh, learning a little bit of history and a whole lot of photography. Anyone who wants to bring the level of their photography up a notch or two, should consider booking one of James Christie’s photography tours.

1  Thank Shona S
James C, Owner at The Scottish Photography Experience, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2018

Hello Kevin (He posted from his wife's iPad),

Many thanks for your glowing five star review of Edinburgh Photography Tours, we truly appreciate you taking the time to write the review. We are very happy that you enjoyed both the historic content as well as the photography lesson and hope that you will enjoy making better photographs for many years to come.

Reviewed 9 March 2018

I highly recommend James Christie and this tour of the Border Abbeys. James is a very likeable and down-to-earth person, but above all he is a professional photographer who is able to greatly improve the ability of any level of photographer to a very high standard.
James is able to do this without making the process feel too technical or beyond a persons ability, and because he keeps the number of people on the tour small, all are treated on a one-to-one basis.
The tour is relaxing and informative, and the abbeys and the border countryside are beautiful, so you get a wonderful tour of the towns and villages in the area, as well as expert guidance on the best photo locations at any site, plus an explanation of the best settings for any given shot, and why they work so well for said image.
Lastly, James brings along some specialised equipment for you to use, and again he explanes how to use them, without being over technical.
To put it simply, I finished the tour a far better photographer than I started, and have been applying the gained insight ever since.

Date of experience: March 2018
James C, Owner at The Scottish Photography Experience, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2018

Hello Peter,

Thank you so much for your glowing, 5 star review of our 4 Abbeys + A Chapel Photography Tour. It was a fantastic day providing rare opportunities to photograph Rosslyn Chapel, Melrose Abbey, Scott's View, Dryburgh Abbey, Jedburgh Abbey and Kelso Abbey with the remaining snow from the "beast from the east" snow storm. The Scottish Borders are often overlooked by visitors to Scotland, but as you rightly pointed out - the countryside there is magnificent. I am very happy to read that you got so much from the experience and having reviewed your photographs at each location, I know that you went home with some truly wonderful shots. Please don't be a stranger and I look forward to seeing you again on one of our walking tours around the City of Edinburgh.

Reviewed 9 March 2018

My wife bought me a photography tour in Edinburgh. It was a fantastic experience, James. The tour is a mixed of how to use the camera and Edinburgh city tour with As an additional seasoning a lot of anecdotes and professional tips that make you spend a very pleasant day. Also as I am Argentine James took the trouble to clarify (and teach me) a lot of typical Scottish terms. Thanks you so much James.

Date of experience: February 2018
1  Thank Sebastian J

Hello Sebastian,

Thank you for your fantastic 5 star review of our group walking Photography Tour of Edinburgh's Old Town. We pride ourselves in being the originator of this type of tour, with many imitators now. The creativity of James, as a very experienced professional photographer, gives our clients valuable insight that none of the copycat companies can! We appreciate you writing this review in English, even though it is not your first language. Very happy that you enjoyed the tour and got so much from the experience.

Reviewed 5 March 2018 via mobile

I was very lucky! When I went on the tour I was the only one as nobody else was there. I enjoyed it. Learned a lot about Edinburgh and photography. Mr.Christie was very knowledgeable and full of information. It was a lot of walking but I enjoyed it. Great tour!

Date of experience: December 2017
1  Thank johnfN7012WT
James C, Owner at The Scottish Photography Experience, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2018

Hello Johnny,

Thank you for your 5 star review, we truly appreciate you taking the time to write it. Glad you enjoyed the 3 ½ mile slow walk around Edinburgh