Open today: 00:00 - 23:59
Book In Advance
Tours from The Scottish Photography Experience tend to sell out - travellers recommend booking in advance!
Why Book on TripAdvisor?
  • Tour highlights & full itinerary
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

Recommended experiences in and around Edinburgh
from US$101.20
from US$62.07
from US$17.54
Free Walking Tour
147 Reviews
from US$1.35
More Info
All reviews photography tour james christie manual mode manual settings professional photographer great shots great teacher shutter speed james's tour complete novice his knowledge learned how learning how budding photographers learn how four hours taking photos
Reviewed 21 July 2018

James is extremely knowledgeable and able to share that knowledge in such a way you get it, really get it. He has a gift to take something very complicated and simplify it. I highly recommend working with James. His personal work is breathtaking and soon your work will be much better. He covers all the bases and helps you see your subject, make an adjustment and end with a photograph that looks very professional. It was raining off and on during the day and we still got amazing photographs! Thank you James for an enlightening day. Terry and Terry

4  Thank bizz22017
Reviewed 17 July 2018

Our group of four spent a great morning with James, seeing Edinburgh from a different perspective and learning a lot of solid information about photography. We were all happy with our photos at the end of the day, and have already used the things we learned making pictures the next day. James has a great personality; the walk was not too strenuous (though it's not easy, either). We felt this was an excellent value and were happy to spend our morning this way!

3  Thank wallmann2016
James C, Owner at The Scottish Photography Experience, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2018

Hello Mary, Bruce, Alexis and Rachel,

Thank you for your fabulous review. It was a pleasure to show you round my home city and give you an historical introduction at each location we visited. I am so happy that you all learned from the photographic instruction. I hope you enjoy the rest of your week here in Edinburgh and wish you a safe and enjoyable flight home at the end of your vacation.

Reviewed 16 July 2018 via mobile

This is a must do if you are an amateur photographer! I had a great time on this tour. It was fun , very helpful and a great way to see the lovely city of Edinburgh. James goes out of his way to help everyone on the tour and make sure they get the perfect pictures.

4  Thank George K

Hello George,

Thank you very much for your fantastic 5 star review. I am so happy that you enjoyed the tour so much and that you had a lot of fun on the tour.

Reviewed 14 July 2018 via mobile

I am a complete novice. Someone with ambitions to be able to “take that shot”. One the you would be proud to print, frame and tell the story about. Well, after James’ tour I now have the knowledge and understanding of operating my camera in the manual mode to do just that. James ability to take the art of photography and deliver it into simple, easily digestible instruction coupled with the fact you leave with proven images of your own have empowered me to relish manual mode and hone a skill I’ve alwsys dreamed of. Furthermore, the history of Edinburgh, the sites, stories and locations come alive throughout the day. Not to mention the great recommendations of food, of which I write this review from one of the many. Chapo James! I’ll be back for more.

5  Thank thorntonw2018

Hello Wayne,

Thank you for your awesome five star review. I am very happy that you learned so much and that you got the "Penny Dropper" moment.

Reviewed 12 July 2018

I've been an amateur photographer for 40 years, but I learnt more in 4 hours with James about how to take better photographs than I could learn from a lifetime of books and Google. I also had a fun time exploring parts of Edinburgh with James - more informative and interesting than I'd expected, which was an added bonus. If you're in any way interested in taking better photographs and are in Edinburgh, just book it.

3  Thank Chris888

Hello Chris,

Thank you for your fantastic review. I am pleased that you and Tamsin enjoyed the tour so much and that you genuinely learned how to make better photographs, I'm also very happy that you enjoyed the significant historic content of the tour too.