Open today: 00:00 - 23:59
Book In Advance
Tours from The Scottish Photography Experience tend to sell out - travellers recommend booking in advance!
Why Book on TripAdvisor?
  • Tour highlights & full itinerary
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

Recommended experiences in and around Edinburgh
from US$22.34
More Info
from US$18.73
More Info
All reviews photography tour james christie manual mode manual settings great shots great teacher professional photographer shutter speed james's tour complete novice learning how learned how his knowledge budding photographers learn how four hours taking photos
Reviewed 25 July 2018 via mobile

James is a stand up guy, instantly makes you feel comfortable and explains everything you need to know very smoothly!
The tour gives great views of the city and is full of interesting info (even as a local!).
I’d definitely recommend this tour for anyone visiting (or living in) Edinburgh.

Cheers James!
Max & Lauren

3  Thank maximilianlbrooks
Reviewed 22 July 2018

Had some friends visiting the city, looking for something different to do so we booked onto James's tour. Thoroughly enjoyed it and highly recommended. You start on Calton Hill and take a tour round the old town. James teaches you how to get the best from your camera, no matter if its a phone or dslr. I understand manual mode now. While you're learning all that you also get a great historical tour and anecdotes about the city. I've lived in the city almost 30 years and didn't know half of the stuff he told us and showed us. James is friendly and professional. No hesitation in recommending this whether you're a photographer or not. I'll probably book on next time I have visitors too.

Date of experience: May 2018
5  Thank VMillieMinx
Reviewed 22 July 2018

My 2nd outing with James, the 1st being on the "Borders Tour", and again I recommend James to all people who wish to learn the art of good photography. James takes the mystery out of the "black art" of taking good pictures, and explains the process in a easy to understand way. The tour itself is excellent as you are shown locations that are interesting and/or hard-to-find. Last of all, James gives a comprehensive history of each location visited.

4  Thank Peter E
Reviewed 21 July 2018

James is extremely knowledgeable and able to share that knowledge in such a way you get it, really get it. He has a gift to take something very complicated and simplify it. I highly recommend working with James. His personal work is breathtaking and soon your work will be much better. He covers all the bases and helps you see your subject, make an adjustment and end with a photograph that looks very professional. It was raining off and on during the day and we still got amazing photographs! Thank you James for an enlightening day. Terry and Terry

3  Thank bizz22017
Reviewed 17 July 2018

Our group of four spent a great morning with James, seeing Edinburgh from a different perspective and learning a lot of solid information about photography. We were all happy with our photos at the end of the day, and have already used the things we learned making pictures the next day. James has a great personality; the walk was not too strenuous (though it's not easy, either). We felt this was an excellent value and were happy to spend our morning this way!

3  Thank wallmann2016
James C, Owner at The Scottish Photography Experience, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2018

Hello Mary, Bruce, Alexis and Rachel,

Thank you for your fabulous review. It was a pleasure to show you round my home city and give you an historical introduction at each location we visited. I am so happy that you all learned from the photographic instruction. I hope you enjoy the rest of your week here in Edinburgh and wish you a safe and enjoyable flight home at the end of your vacation.

James