Open today: 00:00 - 23:59
Book In Advance
Tours from The Scottish Photography Experience tend to sell out - travellers recommend booking in advance!
Why Book on TripAdvisor?
  • Tour highlights & full itinerary
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

Recommended experiences in and around Edinburgh
from US$22.34
More Info
from US$18.73
More Info
All reviews photography tour james christie manual mode manual settings great shots great teacher professional photographer shutter speed james's tour complete novice learning how learned how his knowledge budding photographers learn how four hours taking photos
Reviewed 26 July 2018

Thank you for rekindling my passion for photography. Your many tips are valuable but mainly the idea of getting it all right the first time is inspiring in this Photoshop age. Seeing all the tourists with iPhones, sticks etc is depressing and I have often wondered whether its worth lugging the DSLR around. Not any more. The tour itself was also great as were the hidden viewpoints of Edinburgh. Thank you for your time and effort.

3  Thank Tuula K
Reviewed 26 July 2018 via mobile

My husband (he's the family photographer), and I were in Edinburgh on a cruise. I decided to do this tour as a treat for him. I am not a photographer but enjoyed this tour everything bit as much as him. James does a great job of mixing history, sightseeing, and photography instruction. Non-photographers in your group should not hesitate to do this tour. My husband picked up some very helpful information - post Edinburgh pics were even better than his usual pictures. James taught us how to look for the "better view", determining which fstops, etc to use, and so much more. He is a funny, smart guy. It was a pleasure to spend 3+ hours with him. Ask him to tell you about photographing David Bowie. I would do this tour again in a heartbeat! One of our favorite tours during our 5 weeks in Europe.

Date of experience: May 2018
3  Thank marybW6911MA
Reviewed 25 July 2018 via mobile

James is a stand up guy, instantly makes you feel comfortable and explains everything you need to know very smoothly!
The tour gives great views of the city and is full of interesting info (even as a local!).
I’d definitely recommend this tour for anyone visiting (or living in) Edinburgh.

Cheers James!
Max & Lauren

3  Thank maximilianlbrooks
Reviewed 22 July 2018

Had some friends visiting the city, looking for something different to do so we booked onto James's tour. Thoroughly enjoyed it and highly recommended. You start on Calton Hill and take a tour round the old town. James teaches you how to get the best from your camera, no matter if its a phone or dslr. I understand manual mode now. While you're learning all that you also get a great historical tour and anecdotes about the city. I've lived in the city almost 30 years and didn't know half of the stuff he told us and showed us. James is friendly and professional. No hesitation in recommending this whether you're a photographer or not. I'll probably book on next time I have visitors too.

Date of experience: May 2018
5  Thank VMillieMinx
Reviewed 22 July 2018

My 2nd outing with James, the 1st being on the "Borders Tour", and again I recommend James to all people who wish to learn the art of good photography. James takes the mystery out of the "black art" of taking good pictures, and explains the process in a easy to understand way. The tour itself is excellent as you are shown locations that are interesting and/or hard-to-find. Last of all, James gives a comprehensive history of each location visited.

4  Thank Peter E