Open today: 00:00 - 23:59
Book In Advance
Tours from The Scottish Photography Experience tend to sell out - travellers recommend booking in advance!
Why Book on TripAdvisor?
  • Tour highlights & full itinerary
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

Recommended experiences in and around Edinburgh
from US$22.34
More Info
from US$18.73
More Info
All reviews photography tour james christie manual mode manual settings great shots great teacher professional photographer shutter speed james's tour complete novice learning how learned how his knowledge budding photographers learn how four hours taking photos
Reviewed 13 August 2018

As an enthusiastic but relatively unskilled photographer, I found the tour by James Christie of Rosslyn Chapel and the Border Abbeys ( Melrose, Dryburgh, Jedburgh and Kelso) fulfilled my expectations in every way. He explained in the simplest way the basics of camera functions and composition and left me with the knowledge
to pursue a lifetime of successful photography. A bonus was the beautiful countryside covered by the tour and the memories recalled by James from his career as a very successful photographer. I am disabled but James gave me every assistance to be able to enjoy the tour.

3  Thank jimr0ss4
Reviewed 11 August 2018

Wonderful, personalized tour and photography lessons! The day started out rainy, so wasn't expecting to get the greatest of pictures, but with James' lessons, even the pictures in dreary weather were special. I've been taking SLR pictures for over 35 years, starting the old fashioned way, with film. But when I got my DSLR, I got lazy and let the camera do all the work. None of that on this tour! Went back to the basics. And have a dozen very special, and very good looking photos to show for it. And very personalized...just four of us, with 4 completely different cameras...and he spent plenty of time with each of us, to get it just right. But, it was also a very informative tour, with lots of information on Edinburgh, and pictures from special, off-the-beaten path perspectives. Not to mention, James was very entertaining. This was truly a day well spent!

3  Thank Rich S
Reviewed 11 August 2018

This walking tour covered the Royal Mile, and then some. Not only did we see all the highlights you would expect, James showed us how to get the best perspectives and unique views. This is especially challenging when the streets of Edinburgh are full of people for the festival. But you would never know it from our photos, as James knows the best spots to get great photos with minimal distractions.

Great explanations of photography without a lot of jargon, and expert help in learning how to use your camera, no matter how simple or complex it is. Great photos to remember the trip with, and knowledge to continue taking better photos for as long as I have a camera in my hand.

James is knowledgeable, easily relatable, and entertaining. I can’t think of a better use of 4-5 hours.

3  Thank Corine S
Reviewed 8 August 2018 via mobile

Well worth your time to not only learn about Edinburgh, but to learn so much about photography from a true professional. I have taken several workshops and classes before, but no one has taught me as much as James in the day we had together. It’s a true testament to his expertise that we had as much fun as we did given our day was full of rain. And I mean a lot of rain! Still ... we didn’t want our time to end.

Date of experience: July 2018
3  Thank A S
Reviewed 6 August 2018

Absolutely fantastic tour. Had a very small group of 6, and James was very good at helping us get the best photo we could out of our cameras (even with very limited photography experience). Was such a unique way to see parts of Edinburgh that I wouldn't have seen otherwise. Highly reccommend to any aspiring ametuer photographers that want the best out of their touristy pics. Looking forward to putting what I learnt into practice!!

3  Thank KathrynBelle323