Open today: 00:00 - 23:59
Book In Advance
Tours from The Scottish Photography Experience tend to sell out - travellers recommend booking in advance!
Why Book on TripAdvisor?
  • Tour highlights & full itinerary
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

Recommended experiences in and around Edinburgh
from US$22.34
More Info
from US$18.73
More Info
All reviews photography tour james christie manual mode manual settings great shots great teacher professional photographer shutter speed james's tour complete novice learning how learned how his knowledge budding photographers learn how four hours taking photos
Reviewed 28 September 2018

We had spent four days with James on a customized photo tour in the Edinburgh surrounding area in Sept 2018.

We contacted him initially through email and he responded promptly and designed an excellent itinerary to see Scotland. He even help us to arrange accommodation in a private home/B&B place just outside of Edinburgh, which is a lovely place. The hosts are one of the best hosts we have met. They offered to make home made dinners for us every night. And they were truly delicious.

James is a very knowledgeable and experienced Professional Photographer. He brought us to different location and help us with different settings and composition. He is willing to share his techniques and tips with us to get the best shots. He even lend us his Nikon fisheye lens and Prophoto Professional grade flash to use on locations.

He is a genuine person and we truly enjoyed our time spending with him. There were no boring moment. He even offered to drive us back to Newcastle and so we didn't need to take a train with our luggages.

Will come back again for his other tours.

Date of experience: September 2018
2  Thank Pixel_CH
Reviewed 7 September 2018

James is a professional photographer with a good knowledge of Edinburgh. He teaches you his personal method for photography - manual mode with very specific settings for each photo location you are shooting. He tells you where to stand, how he wants you to compose it what to set your ISO, shutterspeed and Fstop. He reviews your photos to see if it looks like he expects it should. He took us to several different stops, and at each stop there was a about a 10 minute lesson on camera fundamentals, shooting correctly in-camera and to not depend on post-processing, composition basics, etc. I would not have seen some of the interesting monuments had I ventured out on my own. Many of the photos in the gallery look much like mine did with the exception of weather changes. I did try to use manual mode more for the rest of my trip, also taking the same photo with my normal settings, sometimes with interesting results. This tour was quite different from other tours I have taken in Amsterdam and Budapest, where the photographer took you to great places around their city, gave you suggestions for optimum vantage points and possible settings, but allowed you to compose your own shots, for better or worse. I second another reviewer’s precaution that the walking is quite brisk and the hills make it more challenging. I’m good for 4-5 hours on flat pavement, but hills and cobbles are a different story. My knees did not hold up well for the standing during lessons and hill walking. I did appreciate the stop to allow me to get water to take more tylenol. If you are a beginner, this tour would probably be a good way to learn more. If you have mobility issues I would look elsewhere.

Reviewed 25 August 2018 via mobile

I learned so much about my camera while having fun and learning about the history of every place we went. It truly was the best of both worlds. My husband came with me and I was truly hoping he would not feel left out, but that did not happen because James has a wealth of knowledge on Scotland's history, made learning fun, and is truly down to earth; besides having approximately 40 years of working in the photography industry. James grew up in Edinburgh and had access to areas that other tours did not have access too. Awesome tour!

4  Thank Elaine D
Reviewed 17 August 2018

Our family of 4 had a wonderful time on the walking photography tour. Great insight into Edinburgh, and where to get the best photographs, and how to take the best professional quality photographs using manual settings on the camera. James was a very knowledgeable local, with great stories, both about photography and about Edinburgh.

4  Thank 618hood
Reviewed 13 August 2018

As an enthusiastic but relatively unskilled photographer, I found the tour by James Christie of Rosslyn Chapel and the Border Abbeys ( Melrose, Dryburgh, Jedburgh and Kelso) fulfilled my expectations in every way. He explained in the simplest way the basics of camera functions and composition and left me with the knowledge
to pursue a lifetime of successful photography. A bonus was the beautiful countryside covered by the tour and the memories recalled by James from his career as a very successful photographer. I am disabled but James gave me every assistance to be able to enjoy the tour.

3  Thank jimr0ss4