Open today: 00:00 - 23:59
Book In Advance
Tours from The Scottish Photography Experience tend to sell out - travellers recommend booking in advance!
Why Book on TripAdvisor?
  • Tour highlights & full itinerary
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

Recommended experiences in and around Edinburgh
from US$22.34
More Info
from US$18.73
More Info
All reviews photography tour james christie manual mode manual settings great shots great teacher professional photographer shutter speed james's tour complete novice learning how learned how his knowledge budding photographers learn how four hours taking photos
Reviewed 16 October 2018

Scotland was my first stop kicking off two months of travel through Europe. Frustrated with using + lugging around my old, heavy DSLR on previous trips, I invested in a fancy new iPhone for the trip instead. At the last minute, an old friend popped up and raved about this photography tour in Edinburgh so I thought - what the heck... signed up and packed my DSLR. THANK GOODNESS! I had an incredible half day with James - specific hands-on advice for manual mode + composition, great stories + history lessons about the city, and endless patience as I took pictures AND took notes. His advice followed me every step for the next two months through Europe. (A few times when I was tired, I could practically hear him in my ear saying "when it comes to taking photos, most people are lazy" - take the time to walk around to find the better shot! He's SO RIGHT.) So for a relatively small investment, I saw all of Edinburgh, learned a new skill, lost some laziness, and ended up with INCREDIBLE photos. Thank you, James!!!

Date of experience: August 2018
1  Thank MelsieTravel
Reviewed 7 October 2018

My wife and I took the 4 Abbeys + A Chapel Photography Tour, and it ended up being one of the highlights of our entire trip. The tour itself was great, and the photography lesson was even better. We both now feel comfortable shooting in manual mode. I would not hesitate to recommend this tour to anybody who has an interest in learning how to use their camera better.

2  Thank 388kellenb
Reviewed 6 October 2018

I signed up for James's photography walking tour in Edinburgh. On the day I was there, no one else had signed up, yet James graciously showed up and spent 5 hours showing me the sights of Edinburgh and teaching me his way of using the camera on manual settings. He is very professional and also full of information about the sites you visit. I could not have done all this on my own with limited time. I highly recommend James if you want to get some great photos of Edinburgh. The walking is up and down the hills and cobblestone streets so be aware of that if you have any mobility issues. James is a delightful companion and you will not be disappointed if you take his tour.

2  Thank Charlene A
Reviewed 5 October 2018

I've bought a photography tour to the Rosslyn Chapel and the beautiful abbeys in the surroundings as a birthday present for my son Mark, who went there last month with her wife Fiona. Well, they are still going on thanking me, and last week we had a very pleasant after-dinner time looking at all the great pictures they were able to take, thanks to the mastery and support of this high professional guide-teacher. During the tour they also had the possibility to learn a lot about the history, the art, the architecture of these places which are famous of course, but never known enough. So I would recommend to anyone a James Christie's tour as an unusual gift to someone you really love and want to surprise.

2  Thank MariasGoodFood
Reviewed 1 October 2018 via mobile

A few days ago, I was fortunate enough to take a photo tour of Edinburgh led by James Christie, who modestly (but disingenuously) describes himself as "just a dumb photographer." He's not just a dumb photographer! He's actually an accomplished professional photographer, a gifted teacher, and a wonderful story-teller and humorist (he calls selfie-sticks "wands of narcissism"). His passion for photography is contagious. With his guidance, I may finally have the courage to use the manual setting on my Canon 5DSR camera, rather than the "dreaded" automatic setting, which effectively transforms my camera into an expensive "point and shoot." The tour with James will, no doubt, be the highlight of our vacation to Scotland and Ireland. James has earned my highest, unqualified recommendation. Don't hesitate; don't think about it; just book him. Book him now.

2  Thank Bruce0460