“brilliant place”

Cuisines: British
Neighbourhood: Stockbridge & Dean Village
Description: In Stockbridge
Reviewed 25 June 2012

On business, in need of sustenance, and stumbled on avoca. Much more appealing than pizza express up the road. Efficient and attentive service. Delicious food, the chorizo in cider was amazing. And belhaven on tap. And wifi. No surprise i left a tip, and i WILL be back.

There are newer reviews for Avoca Bar & Grill

Reviewed 20 December 2011

We arrived at the "open time for kids", but they were almost hostel and rude about the children.

Reviewed 25 November 2011

I had time for a lunch break the other day, (shock horror), so I decided to take advantage of this and eat something. My collegue and I were in Stockbridge after an appointment and were cursing traffic and roadworks when we decided to go to Avoka for a bite.
I hadn't heard too much about this place, simply because I'm rarely in Stockbridge, but the little I had heard was good.
We turned into Dean Street and right away I knew this was where we had to go, as there was a perfect parking space right outside the door just waiting for us.
Avoka gave a warm welcome, both in temperature (it was Baltic outside), and from the barman who was immediately likeable and friendly. There are a couple of comfy seats at the front which were taken with people relaxing with coffees or drinks, then tables and chairs further back for those who don't want to spill their lunch down their breeks.
We sat towards the back of the bar. The place is simply done out, but it's clean and unfussy. I ordered the fish and chips and my collegue ordered one of the specials; chicken, ham and leek pie. Both were served piping hot. The plates were also clean, shiny and pawprint free.
I was slightly jealous when I saw the chicken pie, it was evidently just out the oven, with puffy golden pastry that let out a big cloud of delicious smelling steam when broken. I immediately nicked a forkful though and it was as good as it looked; tasty, saucy, well seasoned and chicken that wasn't as dry as a stick. Bravo.
My fish was equally as good. The batter remained crispy from start to finish, and the fish was flaky, moist and as white as snow. Chips were little bowls of skin-on potatoes with crispy coatings. I also had tartare sauce, peas and a side of ketchup.
Perfect, simple, pub grub done really well, which I find increasingly hard to come by these days. My colleague ate every bit of his which is a miracle as he eats like a sparrow and never finishes anything.
No time for dessert or coffee unfortunately. And if I had one gripe I would add a bit warmth to the lighting situation, maybe with candles or low lights, but that's just me being girly.
This place was one of the best spent hours of my working week so far. For those nearby or passing, for either work or pleasure, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

2  Thank TravellingFoodie_11
Reviewed 8 November 2011

Booking:
I booked Avoca for myself and around 5 friends, the man who answered was both friendly and helpful - even calling me back to check we weren't bring along children, as he apologised, they didn't have facilities. We weren't - and for someone who isn't a huge fan of kids, bonus - no rug rats!
Venue:
The venue itself has a bar at the front and a cosy dining area at the rear. All nicely decorated and though small, doesn't feel crowded. We had the central table and to be honest it did feel like we were in a private dining area, which was nice.
Service:
The service was swift, efficient and friendly, I don't think I could fault it if I tried - they matched the service to the venue which isn't overly formal but it was professional enough to ensure we got everything we asked for and we were looked in on regularly but they didn't hover. (Service is a big thing for me, so this is high praise indeed!)
Food:
I've been to Avoca before and enjoyed the meal tremendously, so I had high expectations. Unfortunately I ordered the crispy pork belly, which I've never tried before and although it tasted good - there was no crispy! However, we had ordered fish & chips, haggis fritters, fish pie (I think!) and everyone else very much enjoyed their food which came out within a reasonable time. We didn't order dessert as we were all stuffed after the mains and starters. So all in all, a good foodie experience!
Summary:
I would definitely recommend Avoca for food or even a few quiet drinks. It's a little gem of a place which offers a friendly atmosphere, cosy ambiance and good food at reasonable prices. I would definitely go here over Hectors (which is probably a little more famous in the Stockbridge area) any day.

Reviewed 7 August 2011

I love Stockbridge, the little 'village' right in Edinburgh. It has Inverleith Park, is close to the Botanical Gardens, walking distance from the city center, and has two entries to the Water of Leith Walkway. Best of all, there are amazing shops and lots of restaurants & pubs. One of my very favourite spots is Avoca. It only took me two years to find this hidden gem! Easy to miss as it is not on the main street and has just a tiny sign above the door. Once discovered though, Avoca became our 'return to' spot. It's a cozy, friendly place with comfy sofas & newspapers if you venture in alone at the end of a day of sight-seeing plus small tables if you come in for a meal. The Aberdeen Angus burgers look fabulous but I usually go for the wonderful fish & chips. The staff is perfect - attentive yet easy going. If you come late at night they will even order you a pizza. I once went in longing for sticky toffee pudding, after the kitchen was closed of course, and they still got it for me! Look for the wee sign - you can see it from the lights on the main street - then settle in for a pint & a chat.

1  Thank evelynhazzard