“Great way to experience Edinburgh's sights and food”
Review of Eat Walk Edinburgh

Eat Walk Edinburgh
Book In Advance
More Info
US$79.04*
and up
Canongate Brunch tour (Lower half of the Royal...
Ranked #8 of 41 Food & Drink in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Eat walk Edinburgh offer two Food walking tours. One explores Edinburgh's Old & New towns and the other the lower half of the Royal Mile called the Canongate. On each of these tours you will visit unusual/hidden restaurants, bars and shops. There will be five food tastings and three drink tastings on the tour. The guide will talk about the history of the area as you walk between venues. The Old & new Town tour (1pm-4.30pm) which has five food stops with a Edinburgh Raspberry Gin, Scottish beer and a single cask malt whisky tasting ensuring you will not need to worry about dinner in the evening. The Canongate tour (10am-1pm) enjoys six stops including a Bloody Mary cocktail and breakfast canapes to get the tour off and running. By the end there will be no need for lunch. The Old & New town tour was recommended in BBC Good Food Magazine as a "Don't miss" thing to do in Edinburgh. Delicious magazine also has it down as a must do.
Reviewed 2 December 2015

My Wife and I went on this tour on our first night in Edinburgh and had a very enjoyable evening. As this was the first time we'd done an eat walk tour we weren't sure what to expect. However, we needn't have worried as it was a great experience and a terrific way to get to know a city with a knowledgeable guide. We got a good feel for the layout of the city, which helped with the rest of our visit.
The tour consists of an interesting and informative walk around Edinburgh with some very tasty food thrown in. Our guide Julie was very knowledgeable, had an easy going manner and can tell a good story. The walk was at a leisurely pace and the radio-earpieces made walking and listening very easy. During the tour we had a starter, main course, neeps and tatties, cheese and a dessert all in different establishments accompanied by wine, a taste of Edinburgh liqueurs and very pleasant whiskey! I particularly enjoyed the visit to the Scotch Malt Whisky Society where we sampled a very pleasant whisky.
I will certainly be recommending this tour to my friends and to any one who likes to feed the mind and tummy at the same time!

ATChalmers, Owner at Eat Walk Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2015

Hi

Very much appreciate you taking the time to write a review I am glad you both enjoyed the tour.

As you say the tour is not only about food but the guide will talk about the history of the city as they walk with you between venues and point out other interesting places to visit once the tour is over.

All reviews
"black pudding"
in 10 reviews
"great tour"
in 59 reviews
"would highly recommend this tour"
in 29 reviews
in 19 reviews
"small group"
in 23 reviews

Reviewed 2 December 2015

Unfortunately for my family and I, this tour was a bust. We were really looking forward to this tour, especially myself, since I am a huge foodie and my husband is a history buff so the combination seemed perfect. We were 4 adults and 2 children (ages 3 and 10 months) and this was a tour booked in advance therefore email communication about our group and special consideration for the kids was previously worked out. Our tour guide Julie seemed friendly enough at first. She also gave us ear pieces so that we could hear her as she spoke into a microphone. At the first gift shop stop, the staff were not ready for us and were not prepared, therefore we had to wait while we browsed the shop. This was not a big deal, however, while we were perusing, Julie stepped outside to make a phone call. She did not turn her microphone off therefore we heard her entire conversation - she had called Alan (the man behind these tours) and was complaining about our party; she said we were late (this was untrue), she said "the 3 year old keeps taking her jacket on and off, and they take 15 min bathroom breaks" (my 3 year old had a rainsuit on - it gets hot in that thing! and sorry but 3 year olds have to pee and we certainly did not take a 15 min pee break). Obviously this ruined our tour, as it was supposed to be about 3 hours and it started out like that in the first 30 minutes. She tried to apologize once she realized we heard everything but it just simply left a sour taste in our mouths, and it didn't help that she kept saying "BUT I was told this was going to be a family of 4 not 6". We also felt that she was rushing the tour because she had another one scheduled right after us. To top it off, this was our first stop in Scotland and our first day in Edinburgh - definitely not a great way to start your vacation.

I will say this: Alan who is the owner of the company I believe, was very professional and I received an email from him the next day apologizing and our tour money was refunded. I did appreciate this; he reached out to us before we even had a chance to write to him. I would recommend the tour if you could ensure that you would be with Alan himself.

1  Thank Tatianna W
ATChalmers, Owner at Eat Walk Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2015

Hi

I am sorry you didn’t enjoy the tour due to the phone call which I fully understand destroyed the bond you had with Julie your guide.

Julie had been put under pressure that day in taking on two tours as I was unavailable. She had phoned me to let me know things were running late asking me to let other venues know. I feel she was trying to get over to me that I should have set more time between tours as there was children on the first that meant it couldn’t flow at the normal pace.

Julie and I have learned from this experience and both of us are truly sorry that your first day in Edinburgh was a disappointment.

Reviewed 30 November 2015

I went on this tour with a group of friends. We read the reviews before we booked and took everyone's advice and scheduled it for our first day in Edinburgh. We all enjoyed the tour! The food was good, the stories interesting, the Scotch burned going down haha and Alan (tour guide) was awesome. He is a great story teller and he helped us get our bearings in the city. It was very casual, the weather was decent and we had lots of laughs throughout the day. We did walk a lot, but it was needed for all the delicious desserts we sampled!!! Cranachan -- OMG, AMAZING!!! This tour was well worth the money.

ATChalmers, Owner at Eat Walk Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2015

Hi

Thank you for taking the time to write a review it is greatly appreciated.

I am glad you enjoyed the tour and the whisky.

Reviewed 26 November 2015

This walking tour was really special! Alan was so much fun and so knowledgeable about the city. The food and drink we tasted along the way was excellent. I really enjoyed visiting the non-touristy, tucked away spots in Edinburgh that Alan took us to. As it was our first time to Edinburgh, we decided to join the tour the first day we were there. This was a great way to get our bearings and along the way, enjoy some excellent Scottish food and drinks, all the while soaking up interesting Scottish history and entertaining lore!! Very, very highly recommend this tour!!

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Hi

Very much appreciate you taking the time to write a review I am glad you enjoyed the tour.

As you say it is good to do the tour at the beginning of your stay as you then can feel more confidemt to explore this great city on your own.