“Pleasant surprise for Edinburgh gems”
Review of Eat Walk Edinburgh

Eat Walk Edinburgh
Book In Advance
More Info
US$79.04*
and up
Canongate Brunch tour (Lower half of the Royal...
Ranked #8 of 41 Food & Drink in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Eat walk Edinburgh offer two Food walking tours. One explores Edinburgh's Old & New towns and the other the lower half of the Royal Mile called the Canongate. On each of these tours you will visit unusual/hidden restaurants, bars and shops. There will be five food tastings and three drink tastings on the tour. The guide will talk about the history of the area as you walk between venues. The Old & new Town tour (1pm-4.30pm) which has five food stops with a Edinburgh Raspberry Gin, Scottish beer and a single cask malt whisky tasting ensuring you will not need to worry about dinner in the evening. The Canongate tour (10am-1pm) enjoys six stops including a Bloody Mary cocktail and breakfast canapes to get the tour off and running. By the end there will be no need for lunch. The Old & New town tour was recommended in BBC Good Food Magazine as a "Don't miss" thing to do in Edinburgh. Delicious magazine also has it down as a must do.
Reviewed 6 April 2016

Bottom line - was the trip worth what I paid and could I have found these spots on my own? I would say worth the money and I don't think I would have been able to find these combinations on my own. The locations were pretty varied and spanned the range from Old Town to New Town - some of which were in spots I never would have thought to look. We started at 5 pm and ended around 9:30 so it was a full evening's worth of discovery. This was also the very first thing we did after we landed at the airport (we literally dropped off our bags then went to the tour) so it was also a great way to get acclimated with the city. One location we even went back to for lunch the following day and I considered doing the other tour just to see what was available on the other side of town.

1  Thank Tanya M
ATChalmers, Owner at Eat Walk Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2016

Thanks for taking the time to write a review it is greatly appreciated.

As you say, taking a tour on arrival can be a great way to get your bearings and we aim to take you to places you might not have discovered on your own. Even better if you can revisit them later in your trip.

All reviews
"black pudding"
in 10 reviews
"great tour"
in 59 reviews
"would highly recommend this tour"
in 29 reviews
in 19 reviews
"small group"
in 23 reviews

Reviewed 6 April 2016

Took this tour with two friends near the end of a three-week visit through Scotland. We wanted an introduction to a variety of parts of Edinburgh, which this certainly provided. All the venues were gracious and the food and drink were great. Our guide was friendly and informative, for the most part, but rushed away at the end. Still, I would recommend it. There were a few hills (it is E'burgh, after all), but no problems for anyone. The pace was good, and the variety of food quite nice.

Thanks for taking the time to write a review it is greatly appreciated, I am glad you enjoyed the tour.

Sorry you felt the guide rushed off, I will look into this matter

Our guides always make sure dessert is served and talked about, that everyone knows how to get back to where they are staying from the last stop and give out the tour maps. They Usually announce they will be leaviing shortly to give people the opportunity to ask any last questions. I am sorry if this did not happen on this occassion.

Reviewed 2 April 2016

Friends recommended this tour with Alan to us and we were certainly not disappointed! What a great way to discover Edinburgh and enjoy great food and drink! The tour was extremely well organised and Alan offers interesting insights into the city and its home products goods. My dear deceased dad would be very jealous of our visit to the Scottish whisky society! Am highly recommending this trip to friends! Great for all ages as children were well accommodated and the walk not at all arduous, but our children are good eaters and tried everything-foods included smoked salmon, haggis, ham and cabbage broth, black pudding, cheeses and the like. Drinks incurred whisky, gin and prossecco, wine and soft drinks for children.

1  Thank Bellablue516

Thank you taking the time to write a review and I am glad you enjoyed the tour.

It's great to hear this was a personal recommendation and that the tour lived up to the hype. Thank you for continuing to spread the word.

Reviewed 31 March 2016

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our Eat Walk Tour in Edinburgh. I wish we had done it earlier in our visit; we leaned a great deal about eateries, whiskey, local shops, and Edinburgh history. We enjoyed a variety of lovely wines & whiskies, plus traditional Scots fare. Highly recommend!

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we really appreciate it.

Very happy to hear how much you enjoyed the tour. Doing it early in your trip can give you the chance to revisit some of the locations. Glad to hear you learned a lot as well.