“Not bad.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Yocoko Noodle Bar
Ranked #1,023 of 2,437 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Chinese, Fast food, Asian
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Old Town
“Not bad.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

Me And my bf feel glad randomly bumped in this restaurant as he was sick, we are looking for some plain soup noodles. The food is not bad though.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“"Is it 'cause I'm white?"”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

I could see that a large number of the clientele were of oriental origin so thought that the food would be good.

I asked for a favourite dish of mine which shouldn't have too difficult to get wrong as it is simply meat and rice. I asked for peking duck, crispy belly pork and char sui pork with boiled rice with no sauce. I specifically said "no sauce". What I got was roast duck, roast pork and char sui, drenched in a generic black bean gravy with onions and peppers. There might have been some pork belly in there somewhere but crispy it was not.

This is a far cry from what "Asia style" in Glasgow produces consistently to a high standard. The meat is the important bit and what I got was bland and uninteresting.

They didn't take my drinks order. I actually felt quite ignored by the staff. They gave me a solitary fork for cutlery when I expected chopsticks and then they practically hid from me for the rest of my meal.

I was in a rush because it was lunch so I didn't kick up a fuss.

I made up my mind quite early on that I wouldn't be tipping.

New York City, New York
“Eh, Not-Terrible Noodle Place ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

I only stopped in here because the pie place next door was closed. I wanted Pad Thai but was not allowed to order it for reasons I'm not entirely sure. I ended up getting a noodle and vegetable dish. I asked for spicy, but it wasn't. It wasn't amazing, but it wasn't terrible. One of those satisfying but not "I want to go back there!" places. But the noodles were cheap for the portion, very warm, and they threw in a free coke, so it could have been worse.

“Lousy but strangely satisfying”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

We ordered the suspiciously named "Malaysian Satay Yam-Mien" (I am Malaysian, this does not exist) out of sheer curiosity and the Yocoko ramen soup. Service was incredibly speedy, our noodles arrived within five minutes!

The Satay Yam-mien consisted of - boiled fishcake, prawns and vegetables on one side of the plate with "satay sauce" that looked like it straight out of a packet ladled on top, and a HUGE amount of very uninspiring looking fried egg noodles and beansprouts. It didn't taste too bad though, I wouldn't go as far as to call it tasty, but the MSG and sugar-laden sauce made the dish quite appetising.

The Yocoko ramen soup was even more disappointing - the "soup" was pretty much MSG and water.

If you're looking for, authentic, tasty East and South East Asian food, stay away. What the place lacks in quality, it almost makes up with excellent value (huge portions for around £5) and speed.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Chien Yee F
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“great lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

you really do have to love it here, the food is excellant and so cheap, why go to Wagamma's this is better and you will save a fortune. Try the salt and pepper chicken wings

Visited April 2014