“3 night stay, excellent hotel”
Review of Links Hotel

Links Hotel
Ranked #112 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Formby, United Kingdom
“3 night stay, excellent hotel”
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

Firstly let me say I've stayed in some very nice hotels and some proper dumps and tho this isnt the best hotel I've ever been in I still rate it as brilliant, and cost wise absolutely outstanding value for money. We had a family room for me, my wife n 2 kids (7 & 8), the room (109) contained a king double and a normal double, but for some reason the 7 year old insisted in sleeping on the large couch with the spare bedding. The room itself was large with a lovely new bathroom and all round new decor.
If I had to pick faults I'd say the ceiling in the room and bathroom was quite marked (seriously who cares!) and maybe a bedside table and reading light for both sides of the king would help ( and more cups!) .

One morning our room wasn't made up which only mattered cos no more coffee milk n biscuits were left but one quick call to reception and it was sorted in minutes and I would stay here again without hesitation.

The hotel itself has a nice bar with lots of TVs, a pool table and a cosy library , as well as a restaurant. Our room was above the bar and u could hear the music below but it always stopped just after 11 and the kids never noticed it anyway.

Upon arrival we had chocolates n wine in the room which we didn't expect, lovely touch. You may think the hotel is too out the city but the main road into town is 200 yards across a lovely park and there are lots of buses (11,15,16) that'll take you right in n bring you right back (family ticket 7-50 for the day).

On our last day rather than ask the hotel to mind the luggage until our train that evening , we went to the national museum for the day (£1 a bag for the day).

My only regret with the hotel is we didn't eat there, and I've only mentioned the trivial negatives to highlight how good the place is, 3 nights for a family room for £187! Didn't include breakfast but lots of great cafes on the main road in, walk a couple of hundred yards , eat then get the bus (purple pig does a good breakfast)

Great hotel n excellent value n great , helpful, friendly staff.

Some lovely hotels in the center but to be honest I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank daverc2000

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014

My daughter and I stayed one night in a lovely room. All staff we came in contact with were very friendly and extremely helpful. We arrived too early, but this was no problem. Our room was ready and we were able to check in and use the facilities.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Been a year since I stayed here, but after searching for hotel to stay in Paris, I have realised I really should have written a review for this place as it really does help people decide whether to stay or not.

The hotel was amazing , room was in perfect condition and a lot of space. Shower was heavenly and the bed was far too comfy! Staff were extremely friendly and helpful. You can walk to the main spots in no time, and if needed they can have a taxi at the door for you in minutes.

One morning , we missed breakfast as we slept in, however without even asking , we were told to grab a seat in the bar and they'd get the chef to whip us up whatever we wanted on the breakfast menu.
As well as this, when checking out our flight wasn't until that night so they informed us there was no one booked in the room that night so they kindly offered us the room till we were ready to leave for the airport.

If I return to Edinburgh I will most definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PedrosWord
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 January 2014

After looking at all the reviews I think that we must have been given one of the not so good rooms this time. The last time we stayed here we thought the hotel was great but this time we felt the standard in our room had slipped somewhat. Firstly the curtains didn't close properly and they were hanging down, the bathroom had cracked floor tiles and had a damp smell, the shower silicone at the shower tray was black, these may be minor issues. We were next door to a very noisy family with young children who seemed to chase each other around the room very early in the morning, I don't know how hotels allocate rooms but when the hotel is very quiet you would think that a family with young children should not be next door to a couple. Good points is the nice view over the park, modern decor and good location in a nice part of Edinburgh

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kevin K
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 8 January 2014

My family and I stayed over the New Years week - Jan 1st to Jan 3rd 2014. The hotel has many amenities to offer from a bar complete with TVs, to a library/lounge area for evening socializing and relaxation. The staff were all extremely pleasant and helpful.
Our room overlooked the park in front of the hotel and our room was spacious and updated both the bedroom/seating area and bathroom. Although our shower had a problem with water drainage - that was not corrected during our stay. Regardless the hotel itself and our experience was not marked by this one oversight.
The booking agent we used incorrectly stated that breakfast was included in our price. However, the Hotel honoured continetial breakfast as a compromise. For my family (including our daughter of Grade 7 age) - this was a great 3 day break and one we would recommend to our friends to stay at.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Amar S
Inverness
Reviewed 30 December 2013

This was our first visit - having been attracted by an excellent deal. We had a thoroughly relaxing stay in what turned out to be a well-located, tastefully-decorated, generally-delightful hotel. Over the course of our 3 night stay we encountered 10 members of staff and every one of them was very pleasant indeed. It's fair to say that by their friendliness, good humour and helpfulness (and hard work!) they all made our stay particularly enjoyable. The room in which we stayed was commodious, clean and very comfortable. The food we sampled - as well as breakfasts we had a bar meal one night - was of a good quality and very tasty. We liked the layout of the communal areas too - you could wander easily from watching sport on one of several screens in the bar area to the library (which notably had a 29 volume collection of works by famous Russian novelists) to the dining area. We'd have no hesitation in re-booking a stay at the Links Hotel and we will be strongly recommending it to our friends.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Leven, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Having stayed at the Links several times now, we were more than happy to book again for a recent concert at the Usher Hall. We enquired about pre-booking the Christmas Set Menu in order not to be late for the concert, and both Sharon and Jackie were more than happy to oblige. The meal itself was very good value for money, tasty and with generous portion sizes! Would def recommend.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends