“Full pint”

Ranked #113 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Full pint”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

Went to the bar at the Links to watch the football and thought it a great venue for doing just that!

I found the staff very friendly and willing to converse with customers. The reverse is the norm in this Edinburgh bars and one which I'm always moaning about.

Disappointed at first when my pint of lager was not a full pint (a frequent problem in this city and one which I'm always moaning about). But was pleasantly surprised when the girl serving me actually apologised and topped up said pint without the usual sneer.

I will definitely be frequenting this bar in future to watch the fitba.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night, dinner bed and breakfast with my flat mates of 40+ years ago. Great value for money, comfy beds, great shower, free wifi, complimentary wine and chocolates. Our rooms were spacious twins, large single beds or small doubles and had tea/coffee making facilities. We were able to visit old stomping grounds in and around the Bruntsfield and Colinton area and walked through the meadows and around the city. We travelled from outside the city by bus as we knew parking might be a problem. Staff were helpful and friendly. Both dinner and breakfast menus were varied and the food good, tasty and pleasantly presented. Enjoyed a drink in the bar before dinner and were advised by staff that we could bring our complimentary wine to dinner. All 6 of us enjoyed our stay and would be happy to visit again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Elizabeth M
Tom R, Director of Sales at Links Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Hi , Thank you very much for taking the time to review your visit to the Links Hotel, I'm delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable visit and that our team were helpful and friendly. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future, Regards. Tom
Kirkcaldy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

Recently spent the night here to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The hotel was very clean and well presented, the staff were very friendly and helpful (especially Linda & David) which always makes any stay more enjoyable. We ate in the hotel on the Saturday night and my husband who is a very fussy eater cleaned his plate so that will tell you the food we had was delicious and very well presented. Morning breakfast was excellent there was something for all tastes, needless to say my husband and I had the full Scottish breakfast. Our stay was in room 111 and it was a lovely spacious room only down fall no view but hey ho because we were only there for one night it didn't really bother us. We will definitely go back and will probably take our son the next time!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi , Thank you for giving us feedback over your recent stay at our hotel and to the kind comments with regards to the service that you received from both David and Linda. We strive to give personal service and our Head Chef takes great pride in his food quality and freshness of his ingredients. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit along with your son ! Regards, Tom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

Just home after a overnight stay. dealings with staff prior to and during our staff was informative and friendly. Fantastic location 15 min walk to princess street and lots of wee tea room and indivdual shops close by, out look was on to a park. . . lovely. Had a spacious light and airy room (202) but noise from bar down stairs lobby seemed to rise up stairwell and result in disturbed sleep would expect this at weekend probably quieter midweek. Room could do with a longer feather duster haha but overall clean .We had dinner and breakfast. would probably not have dinner in hotel again but breakfast was good with good selection for both self service and hot food. really nice touch with chocolates and wine in room. Would definately stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 3jellytot42
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

I stayed at The Links for 5 nights. While generally a pleasant property within walking distance of the Old and New Towns, beware of the following:

--The staff is uniformly nice but the desk is staffed by multitaskers, at least in the winter. This leads to communication issues and unfamiliarity with procedures.
--I booked through British Airways. When using a package approach, if you are traveling solo, you will be located in a substandard, small, single room, with noticeable wear around door frames and bathroom caulking etc. While I was upgraded to a larger room for 4/5 nights I had to pay extra, and those arrangements were not uniformly communicated to me and it led to considerable confusion on check in and checkout.
--The parking is as advertised--limited---and staff does not uniformly know the location of the longer on street parking. Just plan on finding it yourself.
--Final advice: Confirm everything before you arrive. Avoid the small single room, 211, and while "deluxe double" 111 is nice, it is prohibitively and incredibly noisy when the bar is active. Also, expect the desk situation to be an uneven round robin of people, some who are just learning their jobs.

Room Tip: The nature of a single room is ambiguous on the hotel website and when booked through British Airway...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank CRWSeattle
Formby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

Firstly let me say I've stayed in some very nice hotels and some proper dumps and tho this isnt the best hotel I've ever been in I still rate it as brilliant, and cost wise absolutely outstanding value for money. We had a family room for me, my wife n 2 kids (7 & 8), the room (109) contained a king double and a normal double, but for some reason the 7 year old insisted in sleeping on the large couch with the spare bedding. The room itself was large with a lovely new bathroom and all round new decor.
If I had to pick faults I'd say the ceiling in the room and bathroom was quite marked (seriously who cares!) and maybe a bedside table and reading light for both sides of the king would help ( and more cups!) .

One morning our room wasn't made up which only mattered cos no more coffee milk n biscuits were left but one quick call to reception and it was sorted in minutes and I would stay here again without hesitation.

The hotel itself has a nice bar with lots of TVs, a pool table and a cosy library , as well as a restaurant. Our room was above the bar and u could hear the music below but it always stopped just after 11 and the kids never noticed it anyway.

Upon arrival we had chocolates n wine in the room which we didn't expect, lovely touch. You may think the hotel is too out the city but the main road into town is 200 yards across a lovely park and there are lots of buses (11,15,16) that'll take you right in n bring you right back (family ticket 7-50 for the day).

On our last day rather than ask the hotel to mind the luggage until our train that evening , we went to the national museum for the day (£1 a bag for the day).

My only regret with the hotel is we didn't eat there, and I've only mentioned the trivial negatives to highlight how good the place is, 3 nights for a family room for £187! Didn't include breakfast but lots of great cafes on the main road in, walk a couple of hundred yards , eat then get the bus (purple pig does a good breakfast)

Great hotel n excellent value n great , helpful, friendly staff.

Some lovely hotels in the center but to be honest I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank daverc2000
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

My daughter and I stayed one night in a lovely room. All staff we came in contact with were very friendly and extremely helpful. We arrived too early, but this was no problem. Our room was ready and we were able to check in and use the facilities.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family