We recently won a competition in our regional paper 'The Press and Journal' for a weekend stay at the Holiday Inn next door to the Zoo in Edinburgh. What a fantastic prize it was with the weather being very pleasant for this time of year , the hotel being very comfortable and the highlight being seeing the Pandas , Sunshine and Sweetie.
Our room was of a decent size with a double bed , single bed and sofa bed , bathroom which was a little dated and several storage units . This overlooked the Sea-Lion pool and had a decent view of the Zoo.
On both mornings we had a lovely breakfast although it has to be said that on the Sunday morning even though we were down before 9 we had a 5 minute wait for cooked buffet breakfast. On the Saturday night we had dinner in 'Traders' which again was a buffet but for a family of four was a deal for £29.95 if booked before 6pm and had plenty to choose from. However the downside is that tables for couples are situated pretty close to family tables and that sometimes does not work. There are folk out there who see a quality hotel as being something children should not be seen in . Anyway these people tend to be pre-judgemental and have no idea what employment or lifestyle you enjoy ( we live life and have seen a lot, just read my other reviews. Ok Aviemore and TGO feature a lot but hey we love the Highlands).
The leisure facilities were good with an excellent gym while the pool was good in the morning at 7,30 am but a wee bit congested at 4,30pm just before dinner time for children.
Finally , the staff. A huge round of applause for them , they were great. I am not saying they were better than the guys up at MacDonald Highland Resort but they certainly ran them close. Ashley, Kamila, Pankaj and Don being stars. Next time we come down for the Six Nations we just might stay here as it is handy for Murrayfield.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Holiday Inn Edinburgh is a 4 Star modern hotel situated on the west of Edinburgh, three miles from the city centre, four miles from Edinburgh Airport, and adjacent to Edinburgh Zoo.The Hotel is ideally situated for both Leisure and Business, near to Edinburgh Business Park. The Holiday Inn Edinburgh enjoys great panoramic views of the Pentland Hills. The Hotel is perfect for leisure customers, with many nearby attractions including Edinburgh Castle, Holyrood Palace and the Museum of Scotland. The hotel has 303 rooms including Executive and Family rooms, ideal for Bank Holiday breaks. The hotel has a choice of two restaurants - Traders Restaurant or Sampans Oriental Restaurant, as well as a cafÃ© and relaxing bar. Kids Stay & Eat Free*. The Hotel boasts a Spirit Health and Fitness Club which is the ideal way to relax, with a fully equipped Gymnasium, Swimming Pool, Sauna, Spa and Beauty Treatments. Beauty Treatments can be booked prior to arrival on 0131 316 4739.On-site there are 200 complimentary Parking Spaces. Our Conference Centre 'The Academy' offers state-of-the-art suites, with 14 meeting rooms which can cater for up to 120 guests. Also accessible to Edinburgh University and ideally situated for Royal Highland Show Festival, Tattoo and Rugby Six Nations. *Terms and Conditions apply. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline, Superbreak UK, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., getaroom.com, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Hotel.de so you can book your Holiday Inn Edinburgh reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Edinburgh Hotel Edinburgh
- Edinburgh Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Edinburgh Scotland