“Great location for the Zoo.”

Holiday Inn Edinburgh
Ranked #108 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Blackpool, United Kingdom
“Great location for the Zoo.”
Reviewed 12 June 2012

We stayed here to be close to the Zoo as a birthday surprise for my daughter who was desperate to see the pandas. You really couldn't get any closer! It's right next door and can even hear a few of the animals in the distance. Found the hotel to be very good value for money for what we paid. It was much better than anticipated. Rooms were clean and adequate for a family of 4 and the breakfast was excellent. My boyfriend particularly enjoyed the haggis and black pudding. My daughter and I enjoyed some girly time in the lounge area with a yummy hot chocolate while the boys used the swimming pool.
The hotel is a bus ride from the centre of Edinburgh, but it's not really a problem as the bus stop is right outside the hotel and the staff were only too happy to help by giving bus numbers etc. Good value for money hotel. The whole family enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
HIEdinburgh, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh, responded to this review, 14 June 2012
Lovely to hear that the whole family enjoyed their stay. We hope to see you again soon.

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Richhill
Reviewed 12 June 2012

The hotel is convenient to the city centre which is onl 10 mins away. The food was good and the bedroom was comfortable and very clean. The staff were friendly and the lobby was always buzy. Only stayed room only as breakfast was £15 which was very expensive we thought. plenty of places nearby from £5.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Glad you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for taking the time to review us.

newcastle
Reviewed 11 June 2012

This hotel was nice, it was very clean, breakfast was quite nice with plenty of choice (only one negative comment - we waited ages for a member of staff to bring tea and coffee our breakfasts - I'd have preferred to get my own from a machine!) - no real complaints about this hotel but no "wow" factor either.
Through no fault of the hotel our booking agent had messed up our reservation: we had actually booked for the already full City West hotel and our booking had been transferred over to this one. Our booking agent failed to mention this though and we arrived at the City West to check in where we were given an apology, a free taxi over to the right hotel and a free breakfast - not bad considering the fault didn't lie with the hotel!
We had an uninspiring view of the car park, but to one side we could see the pink flamingos in the zoo and in the distance the chimpazees when they came outside which was something you don't usually get to see from your hotel room.
I would probably stay here again if it was at a good price, but like I said, there's nothing special about it that would mean I would be particualry excited about it.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review Holiday Inn Edinburgh, your comments are appreciated.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Unfortunately I have been forced to stay in this hotel on two occasions due to there being no availability at the very nearby Marriott.
The hotel itself on approach looks fine, closer inspection finds it to be run down.
No priority club platinum check-in line but staff are friendly.
Room overlooks car park. Great!!!
Dinner is a shambles. At check-in I state what time I require a table and that it must be by the window, yet on arrival I am sat in a booth which is no where near the window. Staff tell me that all window tables are reserved and I need to book earlier! How do I book earlier than at check-in?? Service is slow in Sampans which is unlike Intercontinentals usual standard for this brand of restaurant. As I didn't get a window table as I requested I see distantly that there is now a chinese diner at the other side of the street - maybe I should have eaten there. Despite all the window tables being reserved in the two unfortunate hours I am there none of them become occupied? Why was I lied to??
After retiring to my room for the night, tired from the poor dining experience, no sooner am I asleep then the fire alarm sounds - this happened the last time I stayed here too.
Their fire procedures are disgraceful and the evacuation is appalling. Staff are rude. Left standing in the cold for nearly an hour before being allowed back in to my room.
No discount made on final bill and no apology. Gent in front of me at check-out complained to young assistant on desk that this was his third consecutive stay which involved the fire alarm, staff member is uninterested. I leave very disatisfied with my stay.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank TrumpLasVegasNV
I am so sorry for your recent experience, on this occassion we appear to have got it wrong. All comments are taken very seriously and in order to investigate further I would be grateful for the chance to discuss with you directly. Please be in touch.

sarah.williamson@ihg.com
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2012

Staying in Edinburgh for a week on business a group of us were booked into this hotel, overall the room was fairly basic and the bed was two single beds pushed with a slght dip in the middle - not great when staying for 4 nights!

The service recieved from the hotel team wasn't great - the check-in experience was ok but after that didn't see many staff smiling or being friendly - instead we when asking for assistence staff would cotinue to chat amongst themselves

Whilst staying at the hotel the power had to be switched off for a full day which wasn't great - we had to have a really early breakfast and then after returing to the hotel in the evening after a long day in the office the power still wasn't restored and staff had to stand with torches to direct you down the corridoor to your room - ok these things happen but not ideal!

The quality of breakfast was average though there was plenty of choice

Overall a fairly average experience - I wouldn't rush to return unfortuantely!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
I apologise for any negative experience you may have had and thank you for taking the time to review us as all comments are appreciated.

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Just returned from a 3 night stay over the jubilee weekend. Travelling with a 17 month old has it's challenges, but the staff were very friendly and accommodating of my requests to buy pints of milk and to have bottles sterilised in the microwave! As other reviews have said, we had to book a slot to use the pool, which we did and it was empty, despite it being a busy weekend. When we arrived to check in, my daughter was greeted with a balloon and a choice of a fruit snack. We are platinum priority club members, so have stayed in a lot of holiday inn properties around the world. Whilst the rooms and facilities were fairly standard, the customer service and friendliness of staff were much higher than other hotels. Didn't try the restaurant on an evening, but the breakfast buffet was good, plentiful and child friendly. Location excellent for the zoo, and the bus trip into the centre of Edinburgh was easy.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Delighted you were so well looked after. We hope to see you and your family again soon.

Murray, Kentucky
Reviewed 7 June 2012

The front desk staff was wonderful! So helpful in every way! Would totally recommend to everyone!!!! :) Also a good location to everything we went to! Joetta Kelly

Room Tip: 264, 257 and 260 were all great!