“Great value break”

Holiday Inn Edinburgh
Ranked #111 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 9 April 2013 via mobile

Excellent for the price you pay .
Don't understand why any one would complain.
No luxury at this price . As for someone taking pictures of dirty curtains and draws get a life !
For a family break next to the zoo it's great , breakfast was very tasty and well organised .
Would stay again with famiy

• Stayed: April 2013
HIEdinburgh, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2013

Thank you very much for you comments. I'm glad you had a great stay and found it to be excellent value.

craig.small@ihg.com

Write a ReviewReviews (2,327)

Reviewed 8 April 2013 via mobile

I stay in lots of Holiday Inns, however this one always goes the extra mile to ensure that I am looked after. I wanted to reserve an Executive Room for 2 adults and 1 child, and despite the hotel being full on priorityclub.com the hotel reservations team said they would find me a room.
On arrival I was greeted as a Royal Ambassador and given the key to room 208. I was told that the room had been enhanced to Executive Level as the hotel was full - through my previous stays at this hotel I knew the Exec Rooms are mostly on the top floor overlooking the snow-capped hills.
Sure enough, the room was perfect! Robes, additional toiletries, jelly beans, chocolates, bottled water. Even the roll away bed had been made up (which is rare these days)
I was offered a complimentary newspaper at check in, and was also asked if I would like a voucher for either 500 priority club points or a complimentary drink and snack in the bar :-) as I am an Ambassador level member and this hotel liked to recognise that (despite the program not really applying to HI as they only have to recognise the Platinum element) and thank us for choosing to stay with them in a city where there is much IHG competition.

This hotel always appears to have its eye on the wider picture. I was advised at check in the both restaurants were busy and that if I needed to make a reservation I should do so as soon as possible. I was also advised that the leisure club and pool were particularly busy as it was school holidays and that I could stop by and reserve a time so I was guaranteed a swim. Forward thinking is great.

And the one thing that is really important when checking in. Breakfast time! I was told and reminded that breakfast was served from 7am to 11am. Only the great hotels remember to tell their new guests this at check in.

Well done Holiday Inn Costorphine. You have an excellent reception team. Polite friendly and very helpful staff; and a great hotel which is in excellent condition still - I used to stay when it was Forte Posthouse, so remember how it used to be!!

If I had a niggle, then it would be the untidyness of some of your breakfast team. Half tied ties, plimsoles instead of polished shoes. Just needs a matrons rounds in the morning to sort it out! T :-)

• Stayed: April 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a positive review. It pleases me to hear that we got it right, and managed to inform you of everything you needed to know, as well as prepare the upgraded room for you in advance.

As part of IHG, we do aspire to be Great Hotels Guests Love, and to be recognised as a great hotel from one of our Ambassador members is testament to that.

We all hope you can stay again soon.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

Excellent base for exploring and the zoo. Restaurant was excellent value and all are friendly. Leisure staff and facilities were a great and a welcome end to a busy day.
Well worth a visit whether you're visiting the zoo or exploring the city as there is a bus stop right outside.

• Stayed: April 2013

It's great to hear you enjoyed your visit to Holiday Inn Edinburgh, and made good use of the Spirit Health Cub's swimming pool and spa after your busy day in town.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

Went to this hotel for my sons stag. Stayed here for two nights over the easter weekend. There was 6 of us staying in 3 Twin rooms. The rooms were comfortable, clean although the bathrooms could do with an update. Rooms were large with plenty storage. Check in was easy with good friendly staff. We eat in both restaurents for breakfast and evening meals. We managed to aquire a good deal where we had 2nights stay with dinner on first night and breakfast both mornings costing us £80.00 each. Is a bit from city centre but taxis were at the door by the time the phone was put back on the receiver. Defo stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback. We're glad you had a successful stag do, please pass our congratulations onto your son and wish him all the best from the team at Holiday Inn Edinburgh.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

Stayed here for a couple of nights and overall it was fine - the room quality was about what you'd expect from a Premier Inn, but with some additional touches, such as complimentary toiletries, 24hr room service, etc. If you're going to the zoo then the location is perfect, though be aware it's a bus ride to the town centre/castle/etc. unless you like a good walk - I think there's a complimentary bus service for hotel guests, though I didn't use it myself as I was driving. Things to watch for: the bathrooms are surprisingly small, though they're well enough appointed and the showers are fine. Also on the small side were the elevators - there's three of them, but any more than three people in one at the same time felt crowded, especially when people had suitcases as well.

I'd recommend trying the room service breakfast - it arrived on time and was hot, and tasty, which isn't always a given when I order room service breakfasts unfortunately. Biggest disappointment was Wi-Fi - it was something like £16 a day they wanted for access, so I didn't bother and just used 3G instead. Coverage was fine.

Despite that though I thought my stay provided good value for money and I would stay again if the location suited me.

Room Tip: The layout is sort of an "upside down T shape". South rooms have a lovely view, but face...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Ellislea

Thanks for submitting a review and sharing your comments. Although the Holiday Inn Edinburgh does not run a complimentary shuttle service to town or the airport, there are very frequent public transport links to both and our team can certainly break down any notes to the required exact change for the journey.

Thanks again, and glad to hear you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 8 April 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night, with the intention of just going to the zoo. Hotel is literally right next door so it was ideal. Couple of restaurants within walking distance, only thing I would criticise is the car park, very small and it seemed people going to the zoo were using it (as the zoo car park is £4) the hotels overflow car park was the zoo which you had to pay the £4 unless it was between 5pm-10am. Overall was a pleasant stay and would return. About 4 miles from princes street

• Stayed: April 2013

Thank you so much for writing such a positive review. Our own car parking spaces are fairly limited, and when full our guests are more than welcome to use the Zoo car park. If £4 is paid there for the parking our team will gladly refund it at the reception desk as we offer parking complementary.

The 2.5 mile journey to Princes Street takes around 15 minutes by bus, and services are very frequent from the hotel.

We're all glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and will return.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

stayed here through a last minute booking; room was a bit small and view poor but I didnt pay full price so it wasnt an issue. The staff are extremely well trained -they help out immediately if a colleague is busy. As a female travelling alone, the friendly approach by bar staff when I booked a meal was very much appreciated. The hotel is next to the zoo (see the pandas!); opposite a car rental shop and on the bus route to the city (and the hotel has parking). It seems a great place for a short break. Well done to the staff and their trainers!

Room Tip: pay full price I guess!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

I'm very glad to hear you we're so well looked after by the team and thank you for highlighting how helpful we were.

The rooms with a view to the south and east are probably the best as you can see the Pentland Hills and Castle respectively, although the north and west can see into the zoo over the car park so many enjoy those as well. We will gladly allocate a preference regardless of price subject to availability.

We hope you can stay with us again.