“Second Time was better”

Ranked #108 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Dumfries, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Second Time was better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

My partner and I recently stayed again at the Holiday Inn in Edinburgh. We decided to go over the weekend just to get away. I was slightly disappointed that my partner had booked into the hotel again as the last time we were there it wasn't that good. However this time the hotel was a lot better.
We were greeted by a very friendly American young girl at reception. Our room was up on the third floor and gratefully that it did not have the smoky smell like the last room. Our room was clean and spacious. The bathroom again was not up to a high spec, it could have been cleaner and finished off better. The shower head was old and grubby. However for one night stay it was ok.
We ordered room service eventually after having to phone several times before the phone was answered but the drinks arrived in a good timely manner. We decided to eat in the restaurant as we had been told that there was a special menu on because of it being Burns night. However our experience of the restraint was not good.
When we were seated the restaurant was only half full, yet there was dirty dishes on tables that still had not been cleared be time we left the restaurant. When we were seated we were given two pieces of paper with the menu on. I would have thought being a four star restaurant it would have at least a better menu.
There was a choice of a carvery or steaks. What happened to the special Scottish menu? As there was only choice of half a dozen meals we both settled for steaks. However fifteen minutes later and we still had not had any drinks or food order taken. The restaurant was not busy yet the waitress found the computer very interesting and was forgetting to take our orders. When she did the couple sitting beside us were evidently not impressed as they had been waiting before we were. My partner ordered a bottle of red wine with our meals. Another fifteen minutes passed before the waitress informed us that they had ran out of the wine. When my partner enquired as to why it had taken her fifteen minutes to inform us of this she just shrugged her shoulders.
He ordered another bottle. It took thirty minutes for our steaks to arrive. They were cooked very well and the food was tasty but the service did let the restaurant down. We were given 20% off our meal because of the wine. There seemed to be only one waiter who was working and the others did not seem bothered about clearing tables or being efficient in their roles. Maybe hiring Europeans is a cheaper way to run the business but then if they give such a poor service surely this is harming the business more?
We had breakfast this time as well. However even though we went down later to breakfast the restaurant was buzzing. It was disappointing to find large cues everywhere we went to go to get some breakfast and most things had not been replaced. At the hot counter they had ran out of sausages. There was no pastries and to be honest we didn't fancy having to cue for our food. I think a better system is defiantly needed here for breakfast. It was good choice of food, if they had replenished it. But I do not recommend there tea and coffee. I'm not sure if the crack of dawn would have been quieter but who wants to get up then on a Sunday just to ensure they have a choice of breakfast?
As much as the room experience has improved for us on this trip, and the girls on reception were lovely I still cant help being disappointed with the restaurant. I have said to my partner that we defiantly have to try other hotels in Edinburgh as this obviously does not suit us.
If your looking for a hotel just to sleep in I recommend it, but I would think twice about eating here.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MissT17
HIEdinburgh, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Holiday Inn Edinburgh.
We take all feedback very seriously and I have passed over you comment to our Food and Beverage Manager for Investigation.
I would be most grateful if you could email me on the address below for further communication.
On a lighter note I will pass on your feedback to the Front Desk for the recognition you have given the Team Member that check you in.
I look forward to hearing from you and apologies in advance for any upset this may have caused.

claire.borthwick@ihg.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
glasgow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

First time I've stayed in a holiday inn and was very surprised, I was expecting the same kind of hotel as travel lodge etc but how wrong I was, this was far superior. The staff are great nothing was to much trouble for them. The rooms are Great,clean and a good size loved the huge beds lots of space. Full cooked breakfast in the morning and great food through out the day as well as a Starbucks coffee bar. One down fall would be there card readers in the bar and restaurant never work and every time I tried to pay by card I ended up having to go to reception and even then there card readers are a bit slow May be time for an up grade. One other thing I couldn't seam to understand was there breakfast menu not at all anything wrong with the food In fact it was fantastic. What I couldn't get ma head round was the fact that it's Scotland (Edinburgh the Scottish capital) so why serve a full English breakfast, Cumberland sausages and English muffins. Surly would make more sense a Scottish breakfast with local sausages etc. something very trivial but worth a mention. Other than that fantastic stay will definitely be back well done holiday inn

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank glasgowboy15
HIEdinburgh, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh, responded to this review, 2 February 2014
Lovely to read that your stay was very comfortable and that your expectations were soon quashed.
It will certainly pass you very valid comments with regards to breakfast on it is more than likely a brand standard although we do offer some Scottish extras however this may not have been clear.
We look forward to welcoming you back for future stays.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

Stayed the night here, room ok, staff friendly , lots of noise from outside the Hotel, engines running, drunk's returning back.
Breakfast very good indeed, very friendly staff, fresh eggs, etc.
Location great for Zoo, and short walk/Bus to City ..

Room Tip: Front facing room .......better view, less noise !!!!!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
HIEdinburgh, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh, responded to this review, 1 February 2014
We are delighted to read your comments with regards to your breakfast experience and that you found our Team helpful during your stay.
We must apologise for any noise related issues that you experienced and we do strive to be proactive with regards to noise outside.

Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

I stated here last night and had a very good meal and stay

The staff are so lovely and can't do enough for you

The Asian restaurant is first class with views out over the city

Its tight next door to the Zoo which would of been great if I hadn't been there to work !

After a bad experience at the Holiday Inn Glasgow Airport what a lovely surprise to have a nice stay

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
We are delighted to read that you thorughly enjoyed your stay and that our team looked after you.
We look forward to your next visit when you may also have time to visit the Zoo!

Stromness, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

This was an unscheduled stop for me, my plane broke down and I was put up here by the airline so I've no idea how much a room costs. And to be quite honest I wasn't expecting such a nice hotel. I was very happy with my room 262, nice bathroom lovely and clean and quiet too, Internet was not free, £7 for 4hrs. Evening meal was very good, however I was shocked at how much a glass of wine cost, needless to say I only had one. Breakfast was quite enjoyable plenty to choose from, and with a view as well. This was a first for me staying in a holiday inn hotel, and not too far from the airport.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
HIEdinburgh, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your unscheduled stay at Holiday Inn Edinburgh.
We are delighted to read that your perception of the Holiday Inn brand were soon quashed and you enjoyed your overnight stop with a delicious breakfast before you set off.
We do hope you chose to stay at other Holiday Inns in the future and if you are ever in Edinburgh we would be delighted to welcome you back here.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

Have stayed here a few time before On arrival our room stank of smoke but a short phone call to reception and we were move to an executive room for free which was very nice , location excellent bus stop right outside was very frequent breakfast was good even though it was quiet we still had to ask someone for tea and coffee great stay would definitely recommend

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank D1114545
HIEdinburgh, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
We are very much delighted that you have commented that you would recommend our hotel.
We are however disappointed that your room was not fresh on arrival and being a non smoking hotel guests should not expect this.
I will also ensure your feedback with regards to breakfast is passed onto our Food and Beverage Department.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

Stayed just for one night with my two sons (7 and 4). Perfect location for the zoo the following day and easy to get to from the Airport or the A1 by car. Room was fine, nicely set up with the third bed already made up for us rather than having to convert the sofa ourselves. Good range of kids meals in the bar and some good veggie options for me as well. Always enjoy my free wifi and drink with membership. Staff were good, bit of confusion when ordering dinner at the bar, but all sorted in the end (and my 4-year-old's frustration at not having the milk we'd ordered went away quickly when 2 drinks for him arrived at the same time from different people). Breakfast was great, and the kids eating free deal is superb, especially when they get to try lots of different breakfast foods.

Only downside was that my 7-year-old managed to order a pay-per-view film using the tv remote control while I was still asleep. At least it was a kid's film! I appreciate that there is a child-lock option on the tv settings and it's my responsibility, but I didn't think of that until after this happened, so maybe that should be the default, or clearer on the intro screen?

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MarkP39
HIEdinburgh, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
It is great to read that your room was ready as required and that the children loved the food options available to them.
I will certainly take your feedback with regards to the pay TV on board, as pointed out we do have a lock on the TV system but I can completely understand that this can be deciphered.
We do hope that you would chose to stay with us again in the future.