“4star hotel serving lager in plastic glasses”

Holiday Inn Edinburgh
Ranked #112 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

Picked this hotel for close proximity to Murrayfield for 6 nations Scotland vs England match. Room ok but the sofa bed was too short for my son and ended up putting mattress on the floor to sleep. We went in the bar after the match and were told there was only plastic glasses. The service was shocking too. 4star it was not but the prices most certainly were.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank how-hel
HIEdinburgh, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay.
It is very disappointing to read that you did not enjoy your stay for various reasons.
We must apologise for any shortfall in service standards over what was an exceptionally busy weekend and I will ensure that your feedback is passed on to the relevant departments.

claire.borthwick@ihg.com

Write a ReviewReviews (2,326)

Reviewed 8 February 2014

Me and hubby stayed here for one night for my birthday.lovely cosy room.Staff members very helpful and attentive.We use pool lovely staff very helpful,Take a 1 pound coin for your locker.Beauty room available for facials eg,price list in room if you want a massage or facial eg,But book when you arrive as gets booked up quick.Had drinks in lounge never stayed for dinner as we had booked chinese across from hotel,Cool Jade love the food and wine prices good,large portions.Never had breakfast highly priced.Had costa coffee in hotel lounge with croissant.Handy for light breakfast.This hotel is right next to zoo,Bought a panda from the hotel.2nd stay at this hotel loved it.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
HIEdinburgh, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Holiday Inn Edinburgh.
We are delighted to read that you had a great stay for your birthday and you utilised many of the facilities whilst staying with us.
I will ensure your feedback is passed on to our team.
We look forward to welcoming you back for future stays.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

me and my wife stayed here so we could visit the zoo and we were surprised at how poor our stay was, when we first arrived they was 2 staff members arguing with each other in general the staff just seemed miserable and that me checking in was a inconvenience to them.

We tried the pool but because the showers was out of order all the men had to use one shower located in the disabled toilets.

The bed covers wasn't changed when we stayed and when we told reception about this all we got was "oh okay"

wont be staying here again

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
HIEdinburgh, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.
We are most concerned to read your review and find the comments very alarming.
I have asked our Front Office Manager to investigate the situation that you encountered on arrival and I can certify that our staff are usually praised for their friendliness. However I must apologise that you experienced something far from our usual standards.
At the time of your stay we were carrying our some refurbishments to our Female Changing facilities within the Health Club and we had put temporary measures in place for both Hotel Guests and our Members to ensure that showering facilities were available to all.
Bed sheets are normally changed every two days unless a more frequent change is requested however if this was not adhered to I must again apologise.
On a whole we are disappointed that you did not have a pleasant experience and please do not hesitate to contact me if you would like to discuss matters further,

Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

Public rooms modern, some living areas slightly dated. Stayed 4-5th February In room 451. The sink leaked on the floor from the waste pipe, no flannels and so many stickers and cards everywhere telling me what not to do was a little tedious. Food was fine in the evening, problem with billing things to my room, which they resolved, snotty whites on the fried eggs at breakfast, waited ten minutes and finally went and asked the duty breakfast manager for a coffee, others had waited longer than I as the staff stood chatting.... All of the above I could have complained about, but it ultimately spoils my stay if I moan and comment all the time; these are all fundamental basics in customer service and meeting their expectations. A poor show due to the lack of detail......

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank philip s
HIEdinburgh, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

We are very disappointed to learn of your breakfast experience and the little things that have added up during your stay.
We must apologise for the short fall in standards and I have passed over your feedback to our Maintenance team and Food and Beverage Manager.
We do hope that we could welcome you back for future stays.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

My partner and I recently stayed again at the Holiday Inn in Edinburgh. We decided to go over the weekend just to get away. I was slightly disappointed that my partner had booked into the hotel again as the last time we were there it wasn't that good. However this time the hotel was a lot better.
We were greeted by a very friendly American young girl at reception. Our room was up on the third floor and gratefully that it did not have the smoky smell like the last room. Our room was clean and spacious. The bathroom again was not up to a high spec, it could have been cleaner and finished off better. The shower head was old and grubby. However for one night stay it was ok.
We ordered room service eventually after having to phone several times before the phone was answered but the drinks arrived in a good timely manner. We decided to eat in the restaurant as we had been told that there was a special menu on because of it being Burns night. However our experience of the restraint was not good.
When we were seated the restaurant was only half full, yet there was dirty dishes on tables that still had not been cleared be time we left the restaurant. When we were seated we were given two pieces of paper with the menu on. I would have thought being a four star restaurant it would have at least a better menu.
There was a choice of a carvery or steaks. What happened to the special Scottish menu? As there was only choice of half a dozen meals we both settled for steaks. However fifteen minutes later and we still had not had any drinks or food order taken. The restaurant was not busy yet the waitress found the computer very interesting and was forgetting to take our orders. When she did the couple sitting beside us were evidently not impressed as they had been waiting before we were. My partner ordered a bottle of red wine with our meals. Another fifteen minutes passed before the waitress informed us that they had ran out of the wine. When my partner enquired as to why it had taken her fifteen minutes to inform us of this she just shrugged her shoulders.
He ordered another bottle. It took thirty minutes for our steaks to arrive. They were cooked very well and the food was tasty but the service did let the restaurant down. We were given 20% off our meal because of the wine. There seemed to be only one waiter who was working and the others did not seem bothered about clearing tables or being efficient in their roles. Maybe hiring Europeans is a cheaper way to run the business but then if they give such a poor service surely this is harming the business more?
We had breakfast this time as well. However even though we went down later to breakfast the restaurant was buzzing. It was disappointing to find large cues everywhere we went to go to get some breakfast and most things had not been replaced. At the hot counter they had ran out of sausages. There was no pastries and to be honest we didn't fancy having to cue for our food. I think a better system is defiantly needed here for breakfast. It was good choice of food, if they had replenished it. But I do not recommend there tea and coffee. I'm not sure if the crack of dawn would have been quieter but who wants to get up then on a Sunday just to ensure they have a choice of breakfast?
As much as the room experience has improved for us on this trip, and the girls on reception were lovely I still cant help being disappointed with the restaurant. I have said to my partner that we defiantly have to try other hotels in Edinburgh as this obviously does not suit us.
If your looking for a hotel just to sleep in I recommend it, but I would think twice about eating here.

1  Thank MissT17
HIEdinburgh, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

We take all feedback very seriously and I have passed over you comment to our Food and Beverage Manager for Investigation.
I would be most grateful if you could email me on the address below for further communication.
On a lighter note I will pass on your feedback to the Front Desk for the recognition you have given the Team Member that check you in.
I look forward to hearing from you and apologies in advance for any upset this may have caused.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

First time I've stayed in a holiday inn and was very surprised, I was expecting the same kind of hotel as travel lodge etc but how wrong I was, this was far superior. The staff are great nothing was to much trouble for them. The rooms are Great,clean and a good size loved the huge beds lots of space. Full cooked breakfast in the morning and great food through out the day as well as a Starbucks coffee bar. One down fall would be there card readers in the bar and restaurant never work and every time I tried to pay by card I ended up having to go to reception and even then there card readers are a bit slow May be time for an up grade. One other thing I couldn't seam to understand was there breakfast menu not at all anything wrong with the food In fact it was fantastic. What I couldn't get ma head round was the fact that it's Scotland (Edinburgh the Scottish capital) so why serve a full English breakfast, Cumberland sausages and English muffins. Surly would make more sense a Scottish breakfast with local sausages etc. something very trivial but worth a mention. Other than that fantastic stay will definitely be back well done holiday inn

1  Thank glasgowboy15
HIEdinburgh, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2014

Lovely to read that your stay was very comfortable and that your expectations were soon quashed.
It will certainly pass you very valid comments with regards to breakfast on it is more than likely a brand standard although we do offer some Scottish extras however this may not have been clear.
We look forward to welcoming you back for future stays.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

Stayed the night here, room ok, staff friendly , lots of noise from outside the Hotel, engines running, drunk's returning back.
Breakfast very good indeed, very friendly staff, fresh eggs, etc.
Location great for Zoo, and short walk/Bus to City ..

Room Tip: Front facing room .......better view, less noise !!!!!