“Great "Academy" average hotel”

Holiday Inn Edinburgh
Ranked #108 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Choosing this Holiday Inn because the conference rooms at our normal Holiday Inn were fully booked, we were impressed with the care and attention shown by the conference suite staff. Nothing was too much trouble. The hotel side if the operation was merely average. Fridge in the room, but no drinking water. Restaurant not open for guest users at luncheon, as they were "setting for dinner". Alternative bar menu decidedly unprepossessing. No free wifi! How, in this electronic age, can a hotel - any hotel, particularly a big chain - not offer free wifi?
Would use the conference facilities, but not the hotel facilities.
Only above average was the reception staff recommendation for Indian Restaurant - The Kama Sutra. Brilliant Haggis Pakora!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
HIEdinburgh, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay and use of our Conference Facilities at Holiday Inn Edinburgh.
We are delighted to read that you had a very positive experience in our Academy Conference facility and I will ensure your feedback is passed onto both them and also our reception who you also found to be very friendly.
We appreciate all feedback, with regards to the bedroom we only have a handful of fridges left in our rooms and they are for guest convenience rather than a mini bar facility.
We must apologise that he lounge menu was not to you taste however if returning in the future our chefs are happy to try and tailor to guests individual tastes.
Our WIFI policy is due to change in July and we can appreciate your frustration.

We do hope that you would try us again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Edinburgh

Reviewed 17 February 2014

I stayed at this hotel for seven nights booked through my company. Prior to arrival my room was upgraded to "Executive" I couldn't actually see much of a difference and certainly not as good as the Holiday Inn at Birmingham airport where I was also upgraded. Nevertheless I really couldn't fault this hotel apart from my last night where I waited in the bar/lounge for 25 minutes and still nobody came to serve me, I went and saw the restaurant manager and he managed to fit me into the restaurant albeit at a higher price than the bar/lounge. I was amazed on a business booking that there was no free wifi and no Vodaphone signal strong enough to support data. Apart from all that I would have no problem returning

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a larger bathroom, you have to dance with the door to get in and out.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
HIEdinburgh, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Holiday Inn Edinburgh.
We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay whilst on business in Edinburgh.
I will certainly pass your feedback on regarding the unacceptable time you had to wait in the bar and I can now confirm that all IHG Reward Club Members will be able to use WIFI complimentary from the 1st July 2014.
We do hope to welcome you back to Holiday Inn Edinburgh in the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 15 February 2014

We stayed here thinking it would be nice and relaxing well far from it! Walls are so think you can here conversations! Bathroom was minging marks everywhere shower looked moldy the bed had hairs all over it! Even better when you book a room for two and you pay extra for service and you get ONE COMPLEMENTRY DRINK and ONE BREAKFAST which is daft considering you booked for two! Hotel is so outdated and to top it off some deodorant set off the fire alarm although that can't be helped the manny was shouting GET OUT GET OUT and going mad scared the living daylights out of me! Not going to return here manky outdated and majority staff not one smile or hello how was your stay they are ignorant and rude!

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Caitlin I
HIEdinburgh, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Holiday Inn Edinburgh.
I would be very interested in discussing your issues further and would ask that you could email me directly with further details.

claire.borthwick@ihg.com

Reviewed 15 February 2014

i stayed in this hotel on the 6 nations weekend . and i found the staff to be very friendly an polite .and the room to be very clean an comfortable . i only had the breakfast and not a evening meal because of work . but i can say it was very good . all in all i would stay there again

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

We are delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay on a busy 6 Nations weekend.
I will pass on your feedback to our teams and look forward to welcoming you back for future stays.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

This is really a tale of two standards.

Part One: I had stayed at this hotel around 10 years ago whilst attending a Bryan Adams concert at Murrayfield. On that visit the hotel was shabby but the staff were great. This time it was a complete turnaround. I was a guest of Muller Wiseman Group at the Scottish Wholesale Awards at the Sheraton in Edinburgh but was being accomodated at the Holiday Inn at the Zoo.

When I walked in I was greeted by a duty manager and despite me being booked in and paid for by the aforementioned company the young lady at the desk took my card and charged me £85.00. I was refunded a couple of hours later when I explained to my host and he rectified things at the desk. It turns out that the hotel had not booked our party of ten in correctly and that it was only after his intervention that it was sorted out.
I later bumped into a colleague at the bar and despite making eye contact on at least three occassions with staff at the coffee bar opposite and some guy in a suit who clearly was an employee walking right past us no one came over to serve us. In the end I approached the two staff at the bar and one of them eventually wandered across to serve us.
Our party met and had a couple of drinks before setting off to the Sheraton and as we headed for the exit to board the taxi's a young girl ran across and shouted at the host declaring to all and sundry that he had not paid for the drinks, despite the fact that he had put them on his room.

Part Two: Despite this the hotel is in excellent condition, it did exactly what it said on the box. The bed linen and towels were sparklingly white, the room was spotless and the TV was an impressive LED flat screen of a standard you would not usually expect.

The hotel itself is bright and clean, the bar area capable of holding a large party and unfortunately I had to be away early so didn't get to try the breakfast. If you are attemding an event that side of the city you get a very good standard for your £85.00.

It is a shame that such a well positioned and maintained hotel is let down by its staff, I don't lay the blame at their door as they have clearly not recieved customer care training, lack diplomacy skills and many of the ones I came across clearly did not have a complete grip of the language as they were from abroad.There is a job for senior management here, spend some time training your staff and before long you will have the perfect package.

Room Tip: Try and stay on the second floor I was in 205 and although there was a view of a flat foof the view...
1  Thank Robert S S

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your recent stay at Holidayn Inn Edinburgh.
Firstly we are delighted that you found the facilities to be of a high standard. We are however concerened to learn of your issue with regards to Customer Service.
I will certainly be sharing your feedback with our Senior Management and we will investigate all points raised.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

The hotel was clean with a pool, gym and sauna. The rooms were well presented and the staff were friendly and polite.
I would definitely go to this hotel again. It is right next door to the zoo and only 5 minutes away from the city centre.
We booked in advance and got an excellent price for a family of 3 with a 3 course evening meal and breakfast.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Holiday inn Edinburgh.
We are delighted to read that your family thoroughly enjoyed their stay and that you made use of all the facilities available.
I will be sharing your comments with our teams and we look forward to welcoming you back for future stays.

Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

From day one we were recived with no welcome at all. The reception girl Emma when we first arrived she didn't say hello or even ask us if we had a good trip,only thing she ask me was to sign the registertation card after I call then for dental kit which I had to go collect as no one come to deliver.Then we went down to eat something at the restaurant we have been told that was closed so we went to the bar area were we sit down and wait 20min to be served by Jonathan . At the breakfast was were we experience a little welcome by the staff in there Rahul and Maghol they were very friendly, then later at the restaurant again we received a very bad welcome by the waiter Thomaz which sit us down and ask us if our meal was inclusive which we reply that we were employees whitch sparkle a giggle between the staff present . The service was also really bad you can't take the order and then disappear( Hassan) ,no one came to ask if everything was ok and we wait 15min for someone to clear our plates very disappointed . At check out again by Emma I have ask her why no one ask me for pre auth as I notice that my bank card was frozen with 50 pounds she as reply that she was not sure if was the same card very strange after that we notice that we have been charge for 2 breakfast when we had only 1 . Over all the only good thing was the food and the Jacuzzi as the staff had a very poor customer service one more thing it was my birthday :-(

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DonTinTin14
HIEdinburgh, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay.
We are very dissapointed and very surprised with your feedback, however we take all feedback onboard and I will ensure that your comments are passed onto our Senior Management for further investigation.
Customer Service is normally an area we score highly in however I must apologize that on this occasion we have fallen short.