This hotel is literally next door to the zoo the perfect place for visiting it. On arrival the foyer was extremely busy with coach tours but we were dealt with relatively quickly. The receptionist even sent a wheel chair for our disabled friend to use on our visit to the zoo as she had heard the ones at the zoo were all booked out.
Throughout our stay all the staff; reception, restaurant, housekeeping, we're lovely and couldn't do enough for us. A real credit to H.I.
Rooms were basic but comfortable. Comfy beds with a choice of pillows, Tea and coffee facilities, plenty of towels and a nice bathroom. I think for four star the toiletries could have been nicer. The rooms also had extremely thin walls. We had no one in the room next door the first night, but the second night we could hear everything the man in the adjoining room was doing (coughing, watching tv, boiling the kettle, using the bathroom etc...) this didn't really bother us but it could bother some particularly if there was more than one person staying in the room next door.
Our friend is disabled so we chose to eat in the restaurants throughout our stay rather than go out. The breakfasts were very tasty with a nice choice. It gets very busy (Easter hols) and people from coach parties were stocking up on food presumably to keep them going for the rest of their tour of England by the looks of it - saw one person take away 12 croissants!!! but it all seemed to run smoothly.
In the evenings we used bother the Chinese and Carvery restaurant. The staff were lovely but the food was not. It was incredibly bland mass produced stuff that was just about edible. The restaurants have huge windows with an amazing view and I feel the restaurants could have been a lot nicer and created a better ambiance. The Chinese felt half hearted and the Carvery more canteen like.
We didn't use the pool as you had to book to use it due to it being school holidays.
All in all it was a comfy hotel that I would recommend for anyone going to the zoo, I would however suggest people eat out of an evening if possible. I would give four stars generally for the hotel as the staff were so nice and it was comfortable, but the quality of food in the restaurants has brought it down to three stars I'm afraid.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Holiday Inn Edinburgh is a 4 Star modern hotel situated on the west of Edinburgh, three miles from the city centre, four miles from Edinburgh Airport, and adjacent to Edinburgh Zoo.The Hotel is ideally situated for both Leisure and Business, near to Edinburgh Business Park. The Holiday Inn Edinburgh enjoys great panoramic views of the Pentland Hills. The Hotel is perfect for leisure customers, with many nearby attractions including Edinburgh Castle, Holyrood Palace and the Museum of Scotland. The hotel has 303 rooms including Executive and Family rooms, ideal for Bank Holiday breaks. The hotel has a choice of two restaurants - Traders Restaurant or Sampans Oriental Restaurant, as well as a cafÃ© and relaxing bar. Kids Stay & Eat Free*. The Hotel boasts a Spirit Health and Fitness Club which is the ideal way to relax, with a fully equipped Gymnasium, Swimming Pool, Sauna, Spa and Beauty Treatments. Beauty Treatments can be booked prior to arrival on 0131 316 4739.On-site there are 200 complimentary Parking Spaces. Our Conference Centre 'The Academy' offers state-of-the-art suites, with 14 meeting rooms which can cater for up to 120 guests. Also accessible to Edinburgh University and ideally situated for Royal Highland Show Festival, Tattoo and Rugby Six Nations. *Terms and Conditions apply. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, IHG, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Superbreak UK, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn Edinburgh reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Edinburgh Hotel Edinburgh
- Edinburgh Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Edinburgh Scotland