“too expensive”

Holiday Inn Edinburgh
Ranked #108 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 25 May 2014

we booked this online as visiting the zoo and thought this hotel was handy....and it was.....it was extremely overpriced. we always book bed and breakfast and we were sure we had for our 2 night stay. when we arrived it was 288 pounds for just the room with NO breakfast breakfast was a further 11 pounds per person which after asking if they were sure we hadnt included breakfast the receptionist looked at us like we had 2 heads and then promptly ignored everything else we had to say.
Breakfast was lukewarm and tables weren't cleared from previous diners. I went to make pancakes and the machine was empty and then asked to have it refilled im still waiting!!
The rooms were spotlessly clean and could find no fault except i feel the room didnt warrant the extortionate price

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shazarch
HIEdinburgh, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Holiday inn Edinburgh.
We are disappointed to read that your breakfast experience during your stay was well below the standard that we should be offering our guests.
I would be happy to discuss your issues further and you can contact me using the email address below.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Stayed here one night 5/20/14. Had an early flight the next morning. Staff wonderful. They stored bags for me while I was on a tour. Very friendly people. Room was clean and nice. Bed wasn't the greatest. Seemed like it was past its prime. I expected more from Holiday Inn.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Holiday Inn Edinburgh.
It is great to read that our staff were very accommodating during you over night stop before an early flight in the morning.
We apologise however that your bed was not satisfactory and I would appreciate if you could email me with the room that you stayed in so I can check that the bed is up to Holiday Inn Standard.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

Stayed here for 3 weeks really enjoyable stay rooms where clean staff worked hard a special mention goes to Andy in the kitchen who looked after me in the mornings and made the best omelette I have had. Thanks to Jordan behind the bar pulled my pints to perfection. Servers on a night where excellent especially agnes. On a small negative note £60 per week for Internet access is a joke in today's day and age all other large hotel chain are offering free or at low cost Internet. That is the only reason I have marked down on the value marker.

• Stayed: May 2014
HIEdinburgh, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Holiday Inn Edinburgh,
We are very grateful that you have taken the time to praise the team members that have looked after you so well during your stay.
I will ensure that they are recognised for their efforts,

Reviewed 22 May 2014

I stayed for 2 nights with my 21 month old son. I found the reception staff to be very helpful and friendly. I was helped to my room with my bags as I was struggling a bit with a small case, a large handbag and a toddler.

The room was a little smaller than other Holiday Inn's I've stayed at, and I was very disappointed to see there was no fridge. I'd bought milk specially for my toddlers bedtime bottle but had to bin it after the first night, but improvised by getting a glass of milk in the restaurant on the 2nd night and pouring it into his bottle.
The room was clean and tidy. Cleaning staff were lovely also. Always got a smile and a greeting from them, and they made a fuss of my little guy. I didn't sleep too well but I like a really firm mattress so the bed was a bit too soft and bouncy for my liking. At least you have a choice of soft or firm pillows.

The first afternoon we went for a swim in the hotel pool. This was a little disappointing as half the pool was cordoned off for children's swimming lessons. Luckily there was only us in our half of the pool so it wasn't crowded. There is also a sauna and a jacuzzi but I didn't get to use those with having a toddler with me (min. age 5). They provide towels and hairdryers etc at the pool, and its a large changing area but you do need £1 for a locker. There is also a gym which looked good when I walked past.

We had the dinner, B&B package, which entitled me to 3 courses from their evening menu. Drinks were paid for separately. I was delighted at the high quality of the food. Really enjoyed my meal both nights. Kids meals were free with a paying adult, so that was great, and they provided a colouring sheet and crayons for them. The evening restaurant staff were fantastic. Very friendly, and helpful, they also chatted a bit with my son which is nice and makes you feel like they are happy to have children there. I was going at around 6pm when it was pretty quiet.

Unfortunately, I couldn't say the same for the breakfast staff. I expect this is because they are so busy. I had to request them to put a high chair up for me (they aren't the wooden ones you just carry over, these are one's you have to fix up so impossible with a child in one arm) and they seemed really put-out by this. Also it took me a while to get them to understand that I needed a table close to the food counters as I was having to leave my son briefly to get us breakfast and I wanted him in my sight at all times. I was happy to wait until one became available. It just took a while for them to understand. To be honest I just felt like we were a nuisance to them at breakfast time. Also, the first morning I waited for someone to ask if I wanted tea or coffee, and they didn't so I prompted them so I could get a drink. The second morning I didn't bother, and just settled for juice as I already felt like we were a nuisance by asking for a high chair, and it was very busy.

The second day we went to the zoo which is literally next door. Brilliant location. We spent almost 6 hours at the zoo so was glad to be able to just get straight in and relax for a couple of hours.

On the whole I was very happy with the hotel and will definitely stay there again in future.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
HIEdinburgh, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Holiday Inn Edinburgh.
Your detailed feedback is fantastic and we are pleased to read that you were given assistance upon Check In with your luggage however disappointed that this did not happen in the restaurant at Breakfast. I will pass over your comments so they can be addressed.
It is also great to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your evening meal and found the food to be of great quality.
We look forward to welcoming you back for future stays and a point to note when returning we would be happy to store milk in one of our fridges for your convenience.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Really lovely hotel. Room was perfect and cleanliness was spot on. Breakfast was good and plentiful, and always busy but there was always enough staff to clear and clean tables to accommodate everyone.
Bar was a tad expensive but overall lovely place to stay

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
HIEdinburgh, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

We are very pleased to read that your stay was thoroughly enjoyable and that your breakfast experience was fantastic.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

My partner and I stayed at this hotel in April for 3 nights, on a planned trip to the zoo. We were originally only staying for 2 nights, but the hotel was very nice and there were other things we wanted to do in Edinburgh, so we decided to stay a third night.

The hotel is a good distance from the train station and city centre, but is very well located if your attending the zoo, which we were. It's literally next door, it took us about 2 minutes to walk from the hotel to the zoo entrance.

We booked a King Executive room for our stay and we weren't disappointed. The bed was huge (super king), so big that another two people could have jumped in there with us and we wouldn't have noticed (not that we're that type of couple) ;-). Apart from the giant bed, there was a couch, table, desk/chair, fridge, TV and a good sized bathroom. The was all clean and well decorated with a good amount of hanging space for clothes. There was a tray with the usual tea/coffee, they also had hot chocolate, which not many places provide and as a nice little extra, there was shortbread cookies and a jar of jelly beans.

One thing I will say is that we were located overlooking the car park and the doors, which meant if you had the windows open (which we did since it was warm) it was quite noisy, especially at night or early in the morning. Maybe try and get a room overlooking the zoo.

Breakfast was okay. Not the best that we've had from the Holiday Inn group, but not the worst. There were the usual hot items: bacon, sausage, etc. The eggs was not really edible, it was more like little pieces of egg floating in a large body of water. There were pastries, toast, cereal, yoghurts and fruit. In all honesty, for the cost of the breakfasts, if we were in a more central location we would have went out to eat, however, since the location is mainly for the zoo and not for the surrounding areas, there's not a lot of other choices.

We didn't use the swimming pool, but they do have one as well as a gym. There are a couple of restaurants and a bar. We went down to the bar both evenings and had a drink, played some cards and just chilled. It was nice, not too busy and the staff were friendly.

Overall, this is a great location if you're going to the zoo, staff are welcoming and friendly and they have good amenities. We would stay here again if we needed to be in that part of Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Don't get a room overlooking the car parking and main entrance, it's very noisy.