I have stayed at this hotel quite frequently during 2014, because I am working in Edinburgh. It's a most pleasant place to stay. The staff recognise me at check-in and although I am not yet a Platinum member, they still give me a free upgrade when possible. The hotel, being somewhat out of town, has a lot of parking, which is very handy if one has a car and does not want to have to negotiate driving and parking in central Edinburgh. However, there is a very good and frequent bus service into town, which I have used on several occasions. The hotel is right next to the Zoo (I wish I could play hookey from work one day and disappear there for a few hours!) It's also possible to get a good walk up and around Corstorphine Hill Nature reserve.
As for the rooms:
The shower pressure is excellent. The rooms and bathrooms are neat and clean. (Some of the carpets look a bit jaded but this doesn't particularly bother me as I am not there to look at the carpets!) The exec. rooms have beautifully large flat-screen TVs with a selection of channels (and pay-per-view options, but I have never used these.) There is also a pool, hot-tub and gym, and, a spa where one can get a massage or manicure etc. I tried out a massage a few weeks ago and it was great. The price was the same as I usually pay when I have one at home, i.e., reasonable.
Breakfast is a buffet, which has a variety of the usual cereals, hot food etc. The staff make a point of seating large tour groups together, and they give the rest of us the best seats with views of the hills. I would say it's a little bit over-priced at £10.95 (if you pre-book!), considering that if I procured the ingredients at home, it would cost me about £3.00 (but then I don't eat much at breakfast - personal choice.). If it could just be dropped to £10, that would be very helpful for me personally.
I have ordered room service from their Sampans (asian) restaurant on occasion. It has always been of excellent quality, and delivered long before the stated time (e.g. they say it'll be there in 20 minutes, and I get it in about 10!) Plus, you get some prawn crackers and a fortune cookie at no extra cost. There is another restaurant, but I have not dined there since 2008.
If one does not want to eat at the hotel, there is a good Chinese place across the road, and there are quite a few restaurants in Corstorphine, which is about 15-20 minutes walk away. (Or of course, one can take the bus into town.)
The only complaint I have is one that is common to most hotels, which is that unless one is on a low floor, the proprietors seem to be convinced that one intends to jump out of the window, and so, it is only possible to open them a tiny bit. There is airconditioning in the room, but I prefer natural ventilation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Holiday Inn Edinburgh is a 4 Star modern hotel situated on the west of Edinburgh, three miles from the city centre, four miles from Edinburgh Airport, and adjacent to Edinburgh Zoo.The Hotel is ideally situated for both Leisure and Business, near to Edinburgh Business Park. The Holiday Inn Edinburgh enjoys great panoramic views of the Pentland Hills. The Hotel is perfect for leisure customers, with many nearby attractions including Edinburgh Castle, Holyrood Palace and the Museum of Scotland. The hotel has 303 rooms including Executive and Family rooms, ideal for Bank Holiday breaks. The hotel has a choice of two restaurants - Traders Restaurant or Sampans Oriental Restaurant, as well as a cafÃ© and relaxing bar. Kids Stay & Eat Free*. The Hotel boasts a Spirit Health and Fitness Club which is the ideal way to relax, with a fully equipped Gymnasium, Swimming Pool, Sauna, Spa and Beauty Treatments. Beauty Treatments can be booked prior to arrival on 0131 316 4739.On-site there are 200 complimentary Parking Spaces. Our Conference Centre 'The Academy' offers state-of-the-art suites, with 14 meeting rooms which can cater for up to 120 guests. Also accessible to Edinburgh University and ideally situated for Royal Highland Show Festival, Tattoo and Rugby Six Nations. *Terms and Conditions apply. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn Edinburgh reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Edinburgh Hotel Edinburgh
- Edinburgh Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Edinburgh Scotland