“Friendly Hotel that Appreciates Regular Customers”

Holiday Inn Edinburgh
Ranked #108 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I have stayed at this hotel quite frequently during 2014, because I am working in Edinburgh. It's a most pleasant place to stay. The staff recognise me at check-in and although I am not yet a Platinum member, they still give me a free upgrade when possible. The hotel, being somewhat out of town, has a lot of parking, which is very handy if one has a car and does not want to have to negotiate driving and parking in central Edinburgh. However, there is a very good and frequent bus service into town, which I have used on several occasions. The hotel is right next to the Zoo (I wish I could play hookey from work one day and disappear there for a few hours!) It's also possible to get a good walk up and around Corstorphine Hill Nature reserve.
As for the rooms:
The shower pressure is excellent. The rooms and bathrooms are neat and clean. (Some of the carpets look a bit jaded but this doesn't particularly bother me as I am not there to look at the carpets!) The exec. rooms have beautifully large flat-screen TVs with a selection of channels (and pay-per-view options, but I have never used these.) There is also a pool, hot-tub and gym, and, a spa where one can get a massage or manicure etc. I tried out a massage a few weeks ago and it was great. The price was the same as I usually pay when I have one at home, i.e., reasonable.
Breakfast is a buffet, which has a variety of the usual cereals, hot food etc. The staff make a point of seating large tour groups together, and they give the rest of us the best seats with views of the hills. I would say it's a little bit over-priced at £10.95 (if you pre-book!), considering that if I procured the ingredients at home, it would cost me about £3.00 (but then I don't eat much at breakfast - personal choice.). If it could just be dropped to £10, that would be very helpful for me personally.
I have ordered room service from their Sampans (asian) restaurant on occasion. It has always been of excellent quality, and delivered long before the stated time (e.g. they say it'll be there in 20 minutes, and I get it in about 10!) Plus, you get some prawn crackers and a fortune cookie at no extra cost. There is another restaurant, but I have not dined there since 2008.
If one does not want to eat at the hotel, there is a good Chinese place across the road, and there are quite a few restaurants in Corstorphine, which is about 15-20 minutes walk away. (Or of course, one can take the bus into town.)
The only complaint I have is one that is common to most hotels, which is that unless one is on a low floor, the proprietors seem to be convinced that one intends to jump out of the window, and so, it is only possible to open them a tiny bit. There is airconditioning in the room, but I prefer natural ventilation.
Overall, recommended.

Room Tip: If you get a room too near the Zoo, you may be awakened by monkeys! (I did not have this problem) T...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
HIEdinburgh, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your many stays with us at Holiday Inn Edinburgh.
We are delighted to read that you have been looked after so well over a number of years.
We look forward to many more enjoyable stays and thank you for your loyal custom.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I've spent 5 nights at the hotel, it surely needs refurbishment, bathrooms are really small, the hotel was paid by the company, but I saw what they charge for a night, for that price I'm sure you can find better in Edinburgh, considering it's not in the city centre and whatever you want to do you need to take either a bus or a cab. Breakfast was nice, but more than once i was served cups not properly cleaned, as a suggestion, I would avoid keeping milk on the tables in open pots, as, like it happened to me, you might fnd crubles of the guests that were at same table before you.
An effort can be made to get rid of architectural barriers to reach the breakfats area,as I saw many families with small children having problems with their prams,I can't imagine a person on wheelchair.
Staff is great, very helpful, always nice and smiling.
Rooms are clean, bathrooms, are really too small, when I showered, in the bathtub, as thre's no proper shower, water didn't drain, it was just me in the room, so not really a problem, but if there were two people, the second to have a shower wouldn't be that happy to take a shower with "dirty" water up to his ankles.
City centre easy to reach by bus, just 10/15 minutes, bus stops right outside the hotel (also night bus).
Wifi to be paid for (£4 per hour) is robbery, in these days all hotels have free wifi, for a 4-star it should be a MUST.
Courtesy set in the room is shampoo, shower gel and a soap, everything else can be provided, for free, by asking at reception, there is also a powerful hair dryer,not really comfortable to use as you need to keep a button pushed all the time if you want it to work.
There is a side entrance of the hotel, meant to makeitmore comfortable for customer going and coming back from the bus station, neverthless, though handy, it is always open and with no security,anybody could get in and reach any room any time, didn't like this.
If I had to come back to Edinburgh I wouldn't stay here again.

1  Thank tantalidi
HIEdinburgh, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Holiday Inn Edinburgh.
We are disappointed with the feedback from your stay however I have addressed many of your concerns below.
Our rates remain very competitive within the Edinburgh area however we apologise if you did not consider the facilities within the hotel value for money.
I will ensure that the mugs within the restaurant are of a suitable standard.
Accessibility to the Food and Beverage area is supplied by a small lift and ramp access to our upper section however we do utilise the bottom section if preferred by the individual.
We apologise that your bath did not drain and we would have made all efforts to resolve this.
WIFI charging will cease as from the 1st of July and we look forward to providing our guests with this complimentary facility.
The hairdryers in the bedrooms have a push button purely for health and safety reasons to avoid them being left on.
I would like to reassure you that the side entrance you have referred to in your review is locked at night and frequent patrols are made of the hotel 24 hours a day and increased during the night to ensure the safety of our guests.
We appreciate all feedback and thank you for taking the time to raise your concerns I hope my response has resolved some of your initial concerns.

Claire.borthwick@ihg.com

Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from an overnight stay and have no complaints. Staff were really friendly and made you very welcome,rooms were ok and spotlessly clean,shower was excellent. We thought the breakfast was really tasty and plenty of choice. Ideal for a visit to Edinburgh Zoo as it's just next door and less than 10 mins to the centre of Edinburgh.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Gillian G
HIEdinburgh, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Holiday Inn Edinburgh.
We are very pleased to read your comments with regards to the cleanliness of the hotel and the great breakfast facilities.
We look forward to welcoming you back for future stays.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

I stayed in here for 4 nights recently on business. I usually stay in Edinburgh on business and this was the first time that I had stayed in this hotel. Let me start by saying that the hotel is in a great location (especially for Edinburgh Zoo) and is perfect for city sightseeing.

When I arrived I was greeted by the receptionist, who proceeded to ask me a lot of questions. Now I'm sure that she was being friendly but I found it a little intrusive after a long journey. I checked in then went to the cosy bar, where they had a projection screen up with a film playing which is quite a nice touch. The bar area was clean and relaxing.

The rooms themselves are a little basic; no fridge, open wardrobes, a little on the small side. No iron was provided and when asked, I was provided a very basic non-steam iron (I had to go and buy a little spray bottle to help with ironing my shirts) and a worn and stained ironing board. The impression was further compounded by the staff member who delivered it without a word. Beds and pillows were a little on the uncomfortable side but the air conditioning was efficient and most welcomed. The rooms are missing a guide to the hotel, meaning calling reception for assistance. Also they are a little worn and sparse.

The wi-fi is not free (but will be from July), but when I ran into difficulties the technical support team (reachable by phone) were very good in getting my connection problem sorted.

Breakfasts were busy and lacking somewhat. What was there was ok, but it lacked a lot of the choice and quality of other hotels I have stayed in. The omelettes (cooked to order) were pretty tasty and nicely cooked.

One of the nights, the fire alarm went off around 11 at night (caused by someone spraying too much deodorant apparently). The staff handled this well and ensured that everyone was comfortable.

The gym is nice for a hotel of this size, with good and clean equipment.

I warmed to the place as time went on but first impressions count as they say and the hotel misses out on the basics. Getting the basics right is a key thing for me.

Room Tip: If you have a room facing the car park, beware of car alarms going off!

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Holiday Inn Edinburgh.
I have passed on your comments with regards to your check in and porters lack of communication on to our Front Office Manager who will address this.
Since your stay we have deep cleaned our irons and aim to be more proactive and we apologise for any inconvenience it caused.
We are pleased to read that the emergency evacuation was carried our professionally and fortunately it was a false alarm but the wait outside is never ideal.
We do hope that we have the chance to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Still dated at its core once you get away from the fairly nice and large public areas. Amazing views from some rooms across Edinburgh.

Rooms are not good enough for what they charge (especially during events). Food was quite poor and despite being Platinum IHG I was not given free wifi (or anything else for that matter) because the booking had been made under a group arrangement. Instead they would like to charge £16 for a day.

With the charges I know they made (or asked for to do certain service related things) I have a horrible feeling that local management think "money" before they think "customer".

Watch out any light sleepers you might want to avoid a room facing the zoo as quite a bit of noise can come from the zoo at night.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
HIEdinburgh, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Thank you fro taking the time to review your stay at Holiday Inn Edinburgh.
Due to the anonymity of Trip Advisor I am unable to look into your feedback further.
I would be grateful if you could contact me directly to address your issues.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

As a long time member of the well established IHG reward system l always feel obligated to stay in these Holiday Inns when there is nothing else handy, its an easy click on the IHG App on the iPhone and your booked in ready to go.

I have actually stayed here on several occasions but never bothered with a review but l have felt lately that l should put them to task as l get to see them all regularly and people travelling from abroad or other areas will have not had a chance. I won't stop staying at IHG brands as it pays me to stay were people get to know you and the points reward system they offer is very good.

This hotel is the biggest Holiday Inn in Edinburgh of which there are several, it is handy for travellers for a number of reasons, it is half way between the airport and the City centre, the zoo is next door and l believe they do a half price concession after 3pm with your keycard being presented on entry to the Zoo. There is a Cineplex complex 10 mins down the road which also has a Nando's, a Genting Casino and an amusement arcade. There are many places to eat near to the hotel and indeed the hotel has a few different eateries, i can't comment on these as l have never eaten there!

The hotel itself is well presented downstairs but upstairs its all a bit dated, the beds aren't too bad but the pillows are them wafer thin things that are becoming all to common in Holiday Inn's. We ordered another 2 each and that was barely enough by the time you lay on them for 5 minutes. The AC unit was a write off, not because it wasn't working but it was like a tractor engine was been used to run it in the bathroom, noise was unreal. As for the bathroom it stunk a bit when we first went into the room, a musty smell but the room and bathroom were clean. The TV worked fine but the On Demand system didn't work and kept jamming up when we tried to put a film on.

Finally l want to start shaming these lot into sorting their Internet because they make such a big thing about how good their Fast Internet is and how FREE it is for IHG Gold and Elite members. Every review l do now l will be doing a SPEEDTEST SCREENSHOT which will be from the hotel and it will show you how bad the FAST INTERNET is. Im sick of these lot saying they have good Internet at their respective hotels as this is a LIE, plain and simple. I work with Mobile Broadband every day and l haven't been in an IHG Hotel yet which provides anything which gets near to one of these relatively cheap Internet devices. ALL TESTS ARE DONE BETWEEN 11pm and 11:59pm so the respective hotel can't say it was a busy time. This hotel was especially BAD.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
HIEdinburgh, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Holiday Inn Edinburgh.
We are most disappointed to read that as one of our loyal customers you encountered various issues with the technology within your bedroom.
I have passed on your feedback and one of our Senior Managers will be in touch shortly to address your issues.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Stay for two nights for concert in Edinburgh and visit to zoo.
Room was very comfortable with nice view.
We had dinner first night and food was excellent.
Breakfast was ok both days, felt it was odd to have waitress's clear plates into several bins right next to our table, chose one further away second morning.
Otherwise a great stay with bus stop right outside hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank scotsbob
HIEdinburgh, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Holiday Inn Edinburgh.
We are delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay whilst visiting Edinburgh for a concert.
Your feedback with regards to the recycling areas within the restaurant is a very valid point and I will address this with senior management .