“Grumpiest bar manager in Edinburgh”

Royal Ettrick Hotel
Ranked #129 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Grumpiest bar manager in Edinburgh”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

Possibly the grumpiest bar manager in the whole of the UK and not just Edinburgh. We had food in the beer garden and it was just plonked down on the table without a word or a smile. He was also extremely rude to a couple who had brought their very well behaved dog into the beer garden. The food was actually very good but on the customer service front this guy needs to go to classes or change professions. He is obviously not a people person and let's face it it's not rocket science. All that's needed is a pleasant word and a smile but this appears to be beyond him.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank John D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Greek first
Durham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

Edinburgh is a lovely City and this Hotel is in a lovely location. The building is impressive and I felt like I was going to Lord of the Manor. I checked in and was told my room was at the back. It was and I have never been in prison before, so having room with NO WINDOWS was a first. It did have 2 roof windows, with covers on so no natural light. It was long and thin with a small flat screen TV high up on the wall at one end. If they provided a telescope then I would have been able to watch it.
This meant I spent longer in the bar than normal and that is a good thing because it's great. The food was bar stuff, burger, chips etc, the beer was good. No problems there. But the room was poor and for that reason I wouldn't go back.

Room Tip: Ask if the room has windows before booking!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
North Essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Went to the Royal Ettrick for an unexpected Saturday lunch…the home made burgers are fantastic! The chips great, good atmosphere and friendly staff! We're looking forward to another visits.
Oh! Very clean loos too!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Inverness, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

The woes of the single traveller.
I spent two nights and an entire day in my room at the Royal Ettrick hotel following minor surgery and so had plenty of time to evaluate my room, situated up in the roof space. Smaller than my smallest room at home and with a window measuring 18" x18" (which i couldn't open) I was glad I don't suffer from claustrophobia. Stifling during the day and freezing at night, the radiator clearly had never been vented as only the bottom four inches got hot with accompanying groans of irritation from the pipework.
Having to spend the day indoors I was pleased to have a television. Unfortunately limited channels were on offer, excluding BBC due to a poor signal. Thankfully I had my laptop and DVD's. The kettle on which I depended for my sanity was painfully slow. Luckily I had my own teabags and sustenance for the hotel room offerings were dire.
Breakfast was average. I'm fussy about bread so won't comment on it(?)
I arrived first and enjoyed the silence until the fellow in charge decided that the heating needed to be put on. Seriously? How loud can a heating system be? This was then added to by the combined cacophony of Breakfast TV... AND a 1980's disco soundtrack. WHY? Do these sounds become like white noise for the staff? Do they not notice them anymore? Anyway, my main gripe is that as a single traveller i am paying as much as two for a room of very poor quality. Did i enjoy my stay in this hotel. No.

Room Tip: Phone up and ask exactly what you are getting.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Woody2465

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Northern Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

So much good about the hotel - reasonably priced, lovely quiet area and attractive building. We were very impressed with our spacious room and bathroom. Although there was building work going on we were not inconvenienced by it. However we were disappointed with a number of aspects of the service provided. Breakfast was not good. There was very little choice on the breakfast buffet and no fresh fruit. My coffee was never more than luke warm and the cooked breakfast was disappointing. There did not seem to be a full time receptionist and we had to wait for someone to turn up to give us our key when we returned to the hotel every evening. The bar was not somewhere we wanted to go for a quiet drink as there were 2 large screen televisions permanently showing sport.
This is the first hotel we have ever stayed in where we had to buy our own biscuits to have with the coffee provided in our room and also the first time we have ever been asked to pay on arrival!

Stayed May 2014
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

We had a great day in the city and welcomed our evening at The Royal Ettrick Hotel for dinner. We were greeted by a young lad called Scott, who was very pleasant, attentive but lacked the wow factor as in the case of many young servers who don't have the training necessary to make them stand out although he was almost there ! Keep smiling Scott.
The bar is very grubby, I found empty biscuit wrappers and dust on the service counter, not acceptable. A jar of barley sugar on the counter looked out of place, Why? Also so short staffed the boys on duty are running around like headless chicks and don't have time to greet NEW customers walking in the area let alone serve the people waiting for service. Also why do you have an ' afternoon tea' sign and a cake display showing all kinds of cakes wrapped in plastic on the counter at 7.00pm? Not good. When clearly we are onto drinks before dinner. Simply remove them and get the gin, vodka and whisky bottles on the counter you will set the scene and make a hefty profit too. The food when it arrived was however very good and the Chef has made a good effort to produce good quality food in very generous portions. So well done Chef. The staff are also very pleasant and work extremely hard to make the customers feel at home. A little more attention to detail and this should be the buzzing family style hotel it tries hard to be.

Room Tip: Didn't stay so can't comment
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Haworth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

I stayed at the Royal Eltrick for 3 nights to attend an event in the area.

Basically no problems and I would be very happy to go back.

The hotel is currently going through a refurbishment which does mean some rooms are slightly more complete than others but even though I think I was in one that hadn't been done up yet it was still very comfortable and I certainly had no problems getting a good nights sleep.

Breakfast was fine - Most importantly for me it was served from 07:30 (Why these hotels insist on not starting until 8am is beyond me) - good selection of cereal and fruit which is all I am ever looking for in the morning. A full Scottish Breakfast was also available and other diners didn't appear to be leaving much which is always a promising sign. I didn't take evening meals in the restaurant so can't comment on that side of the business.

Wifi is available throughout and the connection was strong throughout my visit.

My only minor quibble is that my room (17 on the ground floor) didn't have a window - shame when you are in such a beautiful city.

All in all a positive experience.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo