“Value for your money, little service”
Review of Cafe Keno

Cafe Keno
Ranked #1,211 of 2,571 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Cafe Keno is nice, little bistro both from the inside and outside. The food was very good, but the presentation of our vegetables (we had a ciabatta) could've been beter... It didn't cost a lot of money - this bistro gives value for your money, for sure - so I didn't bother at first... What did bother me was that the service was very lax: I asked for a Coke (Coca Cola) and she gave me a Pepsi since there was no Coke left. I didn't mind until 5 minutes later, when I saw someone else carrying Cokes in the back. Little did I know...

Reviewed 16 February 2014

A hearty breakfast was needed to start our long sightseeing day, it was across the road from the bus stop that we needed so that was very convenient.
A good choice of menu, we went for the full breakfast, everything was fine except for the bacon, it was very fatty & not much bacon.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

I was visiting Edinburgh for the weekend and my hostel was around the corner. This was the first cafe I seen and because I was so hungry, I went right in and ordered the British Breakfast. I was so full I couldn't finish it all and it was only £7.95. I went back that afternoon just because I needed a coffee and wifi. Then the following morning, I went again for breakfast and a lady who I presume was the owner recognised me from the day before and was talking to me. How nice was she :) and even nicer of her to give me 20% of the bill. Top food.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

Quick lunch stop here today, staff very freindly, good menu choice, had a nice panini but the cake was awesome! Very reasonably priced.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

After several hours photography in Edinburgh, I visited Café Keno as they served an all-day breakfast.

Arriving just after 1.30pm there was a handful of other customers who mostly appeared to be having coffee and cakes.

During my considerable wait, I noticed that the shop front was covered by CCTV and a member of staff “pounced” on a number of potential customers checking the menu in the window resulting in many being chased off (and seated customers being subjected to a draught with every prolonged door opening). I would suggest that this strategy is reconsidered as counter-productive.

When my £7.95 breakfast was eventually served it was certainly not worth the wait. It comprised of 1 cheap sausage (cut lengthways so initially appeared to be two sausages), 2 small pieces of bacon, 1 fried egg, 1 hash brown, 1 potato scone, a quarter tomato, 2 button mushrooms, 1 spoon of beans and 2 slices of toast. It was necessary to request butter for my toast and sugar for my £2.40 coffee as not automatically offered.

The cooking area was not adequately ventilated resulting in a smoky atmosphere which stung my eyes and left my clothes smelling of cooking.

This is a licenced premises but had more a feel of akin to a transport café