“Great place”
Review of Haggis Hostels

Haggis Hostels
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Haggis Hostel is the best ever hostel I had stayed: excellent location, friendly and helpful staff, very clean and tidy bedroom, very good shower, excellent kitchen, etc. I would come back there if coming back to Edinburgh in the future!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
There are newer reviews for Haggis Hostels

Reviewed 10 June 2013

Stayed in this hostel March 2013 for a stag weekend. Hostel is well located just off Princes street, as my first experience of staying in a hostel wasn't sure of what to expect, however the stay was fine. I stayed in a 8 bedroom (4 bunk beds) room was clean and tidy, communal toilets and showers, showers were poor extremely weak stream of water.

Suited us for what we were after however I am sure some budget hotels would be available for similar price and would recommend them before staying here.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank PM20
Reviewed 6 June 2013

The Haggis Hostel is in a great location, but unfortunately the actual accommodations are very basic for the price. The bunkbed was wobbly and falling apart, the pillow was about the thickness of a towel and they nickle and dime you at the hostel. They charge for wifi (the only place on my trip that did this), towel rentals and locker rentals. From the description of the hostel I was expecting a lot more for the price I was paying. However the staff were very helpful and the hostel was very clean. Despite them bragging about the showers they were only about average.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
christopher d, Owner at Haggis Hostels, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2013

Dear Robin,
Thank you for your valuable feedback. We do wish that you had raised any concerns about the bed or pillows during your stay and we would dealt with your concerns there and then. We would have supplied extra or a different type of pillow. We provide guest computers with 24 hour unlimited access In the reception area completely free of charge. Some guests prefer this as they do not travel with laptops. We feel that Wifi at £3.00 for 24 hours or £5.00 per week is reasonable as our competitors charges range from £5.00 per day or £1.00 per hour. We would love to be able to give all of these services for free but instead keep our bed price as reasonable as possible so that you may choose these extras if you wish. We take great pride in providing an affordable accommodation option right in Edinburgh's city centre and to do this we must charge for some things. We do offer a range of Free guest benefits such as Free Breakfast, Free tea and coffee facilities all day, Free 24 hour internet access, Free clean white linen and of course a Free Smile!
We do hope you will return to stay with us n the future and please do not forget to let us know you are a return guest to receive your extra 10% discount.
Many Thanks,
The Haggis Hostels Team.

Reviewed 6 June 2013

I was pleased to find about Haggis Hostels. The rooms are very comfortable, the facilities very good and the staff very friendly and helpful. It is also convenient as it is right in the centre of Edinburgh just off Princes Street and in spite of that the prices are not at all expensive.
I'd recommend this as a place to stay.
I enjoyed chatting to travellers from several countries while I was there.
Just make sure you are able to climb a lot of stairs to get to the hostel.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Paid a lot for one night stay, and the pictures shown on the website (not haggis, 3rd party) did not reflect the hostel at all. I have stated in other hostels for 1/4 the price for roughly similar lodgings. It's clean, it's ok, it's central, but there are a lot of stairs to the hostel, and it's definitely overpriced. Stay elsewhere.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2013 via mobile

Among the many hostels that I've stayed in, Haggis Hostel is possibly the first to exceed my expectation!

The hostel is located in a super central location; A minute walk from Prince Street and 5 minutes walk to the old town/ Royal Mile. So in terms of convenience, Haggis Hostel is the one to stay in.

The rooms are all basic furnished but it is kept really clean ( Even the bathrooms). What I really like though is that there's a personal power plug for each bed so I can charge my devices anytime I want. Had a really comfortable stay here. The only issue is that the bed seems to creak a little, but this is no biggie.

What really blew me away was the service I received. The owners were extremely welcoming. They are always organizing tours for their guests so the whole atmosphere is really cozy. One of the owner treated us to some pastries when he saw us coming back to the hostel tired and hungry. On the day that we checked out, both of the owners even asked if they could help to carry our luggage down the flight of stairs for us.

All in all, I will recommend anyone traveling to Edinburgh to stay here! You won't regret it!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank AngelynTan
Reviewed 31 May 2013

I stayed at the Haggis Hostel for the duaration of my visit to Edinburgh for 8 days. It was my first time overseas EVER and I was all alone.

The biggest tip I can give is that as a young female alone, overseas for the first time - I felt safe at Haggis.

Off the bat you're welcomed in and set up in your room with sheets and a key. Lockers are provided for a smal fee.

Lots of brochures on hand for those wanting to do various highland tours and the staff are super helpful with their knowledge of the best companies to go with.
I had a few different room mates during my time, some I met and were lovely, others I would only see on coming abck to sleep and the next day they were gone.

The beds are comfy enough and the hostel it's self is pretty central location to everything (know your way around on a bus and you're set!)

The only hassle small people like myself may have is getting your luggage upstairs on arrival. It's a good excersie, but lots of funny little paintings to keep your spirits up!

Would definately stay again on returing to Edinburgh.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo